DAN C4-SFX

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Option A: better airflow, not a fan of the front panel, it looks less "premium"
Option B: better design, top panel is distracting also I have never been a fan of the feet (same as v1) but everyone seem to like them
That's my humble opinion ofc.

Anyhow I decided to add two more variants. Thoughts? :)

EDIT: Option Z

Last edited:

HeisenbergVII

Efficiency Noob
Jun 13, 2023
Are you using custom PSU cables? I had to install the PSU upside down because the mobo power cables were blocking it when trying the proper orientation so now the PSU is exhausting into the case:
Hi !

Sorry for the very belated reply ! I just used the default cables bundled with the SF750 and some cable ties. No problem whatsoever.

Reactions: Guybrush

loopaddiction

Chassis Packer
Dec 4, 2018
IMO, option B is better but i'm not a fan of that corrugated top. Also, moving the I/O to the front instead of top would be a downgrade aesthetically, it kills the clean look.

Adding mATX compatibility is a big enough improvement on it's own to warrant the "V2" label. V1 aesthetics were already nearly perfect and one of the main reasons the C4 got so much attention. Although I've never liked the feet. I think V1 design, but with V2 Option A feet, or maybe something different, would be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cocon1

Covuk

Average Stuffer
Jun 13, 2023
Option B: better design, top panel is distracting also I have never been a fan of the feet (same as v1) but everyone seem to like them

Option Y all day - really not a fan of that wraparound mesh. But still no idea why it needs a black top, keep it same colour as the sides imo.

Reactions: Dampfbox

loopaddiction

Chassis Packer
Dec 4, 2018
But still no idea why it needs a black top, keep it same colour as the sides imo.

Agreed! I've been pushing for a mono silver C4 (and also Louqe's Ghost S1) since the beginning. We know all black looks great...all silver would also look beautiful.

Also, perforated metal > fine mesh.

Reactions: Dampfbox

Mitohondri

Caliper Novice
Dec 14, 2021
Have you thought about maybe add colour to case, instead of old and boring black/white/silver?

i am sure the black is your best seller, but if silver and white are like 20% of total sales, why not try with some colour, like Fractal Terra and Cooler Master Ncore 100 Max did on Computex, they got great feedback for green and bronze colours.

Just a thought

Reactions: Wolfe1

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
For design B i plan to add I/O at the bottom of the front like on the M1. It will have USB-A USB-C Mic/Audio combo port + power button.
Damn, the only thing I don't love about my V1 is that I don't have an easily accessible USB-A port for a yubikey. I have one attached to my desk that also does audio, so it's not the worst, but it would have been nice. Plus, cats can't accidentally step on power buttons if they're front-mounted.

Overall, I'm hoping to see a nice V2 come out of this, and we'll see if I end up swapping to a newer version. So far I'm thrilled with this case, I have packed quite a lot of power into it and it's air cooled and pretty easy to work on. Dan, you really are a master of case design.

Reactions: Oggie and Dampfbox

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017

EDIT: Option Z
I like option Z :)

Albatross1486

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2023
@Metroversal thank you for your inspiration and help. Here is my concept including your ideas:

I will move forward with this deesign for C4-SFXv2.
I'd prefer to see a combo audio/mic port rather than the dual ports. I also cringe a little at knowing there's going to have to be a GIANT USB 3.0 cable to power this. I honestly do love the single USB-C on the V1, it's just so much easier to cable. I hated having to muck with the USB 3.0 on my M1, even if I do use the USB-A sometimes.

Diesel

Cable Smoosher
Nov 1, 2022
I wonder if you could make the I/O modular somehow? i.e. ship it with all the ports you've shown, but then people can remove specific ports if they don't want them, and maybe supply a few different blanking plates? That could work quite well if the I/O is at the top. The front part of that top panel could be modular.

zthan

Cable Smoosher
Sep 6, 2017
+1 to no front I/O if possible, really dislike it at the front

And why no slatted top panel anymore? I thought that looked really cool!

edit: I just noticed that the side panels are different as well - this looks like a strange blend between the two options from the poll. The B option from the poll still looks by far the best to me.

Reactions: PantherB

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Hi Dan, is there any chance of moving the I/O in front to the case's top panel for a clean face or making it less noticeable? I know your plan to add I/O at the bottom for design B but personally, I think the v2 concept's front ports really stand out.

The new C4-SFXv2 is 8mm shorter than the C4-SFXv1. Some of the saved milimeters are added to the height to fit mATX. If i would add the io to the top the max gpu length would be 328mm.
Adding it to the bottom is a perfect spot because here is a unused zone. In my opinion the front does look less boring with i/o.