DAN C4-SFX

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
Please elaborate on the dual 280 rad possibilities since this is not clear from the original post.

Starting post says "Max configuration: 325x140x45 + 140x140x25 fans", so I thought there is no need for slim fans or slim radiators.
What prevents me from using dual 280 (30mm thickness) radiators with regular fans (25mm thickness)?

Thank you!
The GPU. The specs you reference are for the side radiator mount. Space is more limited between the GPU block and the top of the case.

Dampfbox

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
The specs you reference are for the side radiator mount.
Well, it is still not clear to me...
"Water cooling support: Dual 240 or 280mm radiator with 140x140x25mm fans"

Thats why I would like to know how much space exactly there is on both radiator mounts, i.e. maximum total thickness (rad + fan). :)

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
Well, it is still not clear to me...
"Water cooling support: Dual 240 or 280mm radiator with 140x140x25mm fans"

Thats why I would like to know how much space exactly there is on both radiator mounts, i.e. maximum total thickness (rad + fan). :)
Simple really, the listed max config is for the side 280 radiator, so up to 70mm total thickness of radiator + fans in the side 280 bracket. Of course this will also depend on how tall the CPU block you will be using with fittings, and also reservoir.

For the top 280 radiator, you will only have room for up to 65mm for GPU Waterblock + Radiator + Fans. So assuming you have a single slot GPU waterblock, it would take around 20mm height, then the remaining 45mm would be for radiator and fan. You will be pretty much limited to slim 280 radiator + slim 140mm fans for the second 280 rad, like the Alphacool NexXxoS ST20 HPE 280mm slim 20mm radiator + 16mm Arctic P14 Slim PWM PST fans for example.

Dampfbox

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
Simple really, the listed max config is for the side 280 radiator
So it's just plain wrong in the OP, because there is no way of running dual 280 rads with 25mm thick fans.
Thanks for clearing that up :)

Unfortunately I'm not too excited about using Arctic fans - it's not that they're bad, but they don't have the outstanding life expectancy like, say, Noctua ones.

Dampfbox

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
Has anyone worked out a parts list for doing a dual 280mm water cooling build?
This is what I will go for:
Top Radiator: 1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST20 HPE Full Copper 280mm (link)
Top Rad Fans: 2x Arctic P14 Slim PWM PST (link)
Side Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS HPE-30 Full Copper 280mm (link)
Side Rad Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM (link)
Block/Pump/Reservoir Combo: EKWB Quantum Velocity2 Kinetic DDC 4.2 (not yet available, upcoming for AM5 and LGA1700 sockets - link)
+GPU Block of choice
+Tubing of choice (e.g. EK ZMT 16/10 or EK DuraClear 13/10)
+Liquid (I'll be using Aqua Computer DP Ultra)
+6 appropriate Fittings

Reactions: TheClash

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
This is what I will go for:
Top Radiator: 1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST20 HPE Full Copper 280mm (link)
Top Rad Fans: 2x Arctic P14 Slim PWM PST (link)
Side Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS HPE-30 Full Copper 280mm (link)
Side Rad Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM (link)
Block/Pump/Reservoir Combo: EKWB Quantum Velocity2 Kinetic DDC 4.2 (not yet available, upcoming for AM5 and LGA1700 sockets - link)
+GPU Block of choice
+Tubing of choice (e.g. EK ZMT 16/10 or EK DuraClear 13/10)
+Liquid (I'll be using Aqua Computer DP Ultra)
+6 appropriate Fittings
Thanks for the list. Do you plan on doing quick connects for the side radiator or just having the tubes long enough so you can remove it if you need to?

And is there a big difference between manufacturer's of watercooling components? I looked at XSPC for their slim rads, alpahcool, EK.

Also, I have an ASUS TUF 3090 and I've searched for the shortest waterblocks, and the shortest one I was able to find was a Barrow one that was 142mm tall. Will that fit in the case? Or is it still to tall?

Dampfbox

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
Do you plan on doing quick connects for the side radiator or just having the tubes long enough so you can remove it if you need to?
Well, since I did not yet get my hands on the case and my spatial imagination isn't the best, I won't make any final decisions before actually building my first system in a C4 ;)

Usually I prefer longer tubes over having additional connectors in the loop.

And is there a big difference between manufacturer's of watercooling components?
Of course there are huge price differences :)
EKWB, Watercool and Hardware Labs have a reputation of having really well built stuff (manufacturing wise), but personally the look and feel of Alphacool products is sufficient to me (when it comes to radiators). And yes, you can totally use XSPC, keep in mind their slim rads have a higher FPI (fins per inch) count than ACool for example, so use a fan with high static pressure (which is generally adviseable on radiators anyway...)

Just make sure to choose only 1 material that comes into contact with your cooling liquid to avoid heavy corrosion debris.
Will that fit in the case? Or is it still to tall?
There is a post somewhere in this thread talking about max. GPU block dimension, feel free to search for it :D

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
If you know the waterblock height you have to add 35mm if this exceeds 166mm it will not fit.

To make it easier:

All RTX 30x0 Founders will work
All RTX 30x0 ref pcb cards should work (like Palit, Gainward, kfa2, colorful, pny, evga, inno3d &some zotac)
All RX 6800/6900 XT Reference will work

Last edited:
Reactions: Dampfbox

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2022
So it's just plain wrong in the OP, because there is no way of running dual 280 rads with 25mm thick fans.
Thanks for clearing that up :)

Unfortunately I'm not too excited about using Arctic fans - it's not that they're bad, but they don't have the outstanding life expectancy like, say, Noctua ones.
Arctic P-series fans have a 6-year warranty - same as Noctua.

Scythe also makes slim Kaze Flex fans.

Reactions: riba2233

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
Well, since I did not yet get my hands on the case and my spatial imagination isn't the best, I won't make any final decisions before actually building my first system in a C4 ;)

Usually I prefer longer tubes over having additional connectors in the loop.

Of course there are huge price differences :)
EKWB, Watercool and Hardware Labs have a reputation of having really well built stuff (manufacturing wise), but personally the look and feel of Alphacool products is sufficient to me (when it comes to radiators). And yes, you can totally use XSPC, keep in mind their slim rads have a higher FPI (fins per inch) count than ACool for example, so use a fan with high static pressure (which is generally adviseable on radiators anyway...)

Just make sure to choose only 1 material that comes into contact with your cooling liquid to avoid heavy corrosion debris.

There is a post somewhere in this thread talking about max. GPU block dimension, feel free to search for it :D
I have Arctic P14's in both the normal and slim versions that I would be using in the build. Those should be good for the radiators? The only issue is maybe their thickness. The full-size fan is 27mm thick, and the slim fan is 16mm thick.

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
If you know the waterblock height you have to add 35mm if this exceeds 166mm it will not fit.

To make it easier:

All RTX 30x0 Founders will work
All RTX 30x0 ref pcb cards should work (like Palit, Gainward, kfa2, colorful, pny, evga, inno3d &some zotac)
All RX 6800/6900 XT Reference will work
Dan, can you explain why the added 35mm to the total height?

Reactions: Dampfbox

Dampfbox

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
Arctic P-series fans have a 6-year warranty - same as Noctua.
Yeah well, but the warranty time period does not directly cohere to the actual durability of a product ;)
In my experience, Arctic fans do not last as long as Noctua ones do which makes them a worse choice, especially for a system retailer.

Scythe also makes slim Kaze Flex fans.
To my knowledge, these are not available in 140mm, right? Could not find a 140mm version on their EU site.

Last edited:

Dampfbox

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2022
Has there been any updates on this case?
Daniel stated that when the C4 arrives, there will already be RTX4000 cards, so do not expect it to drop in the next 2 weeks ;) I personally assume it's gonna be Q1-2023 and that's fine with me.

This would be my first SFF case and it looks like it would be great for someone new to SFF.
The very best first SFF case is the Coolermaster NR200 - affordable, really easy to build in and good performance.

Blubbblah

Cable Smoosher
Feb 18, 2022
Hi Dan,

can you tell me how high an m.2 nvme can be on the back of the mainboard? I'm concerned with using a heatsink for the ssd on the back.

Thanks.

Slediee

Cable Smoosher
Feb 28, 2022
What are the next steps:

• Today i will book photo session
  • I will finalize the manual in the next 4 weeks
  • Meanwhile i will address some tiny changes that needs to be made on the product to be perfect
  • I will order review and CE testing samples
  • After that i accept P2P orders

• So I think from now on to production 3-4 Month
  • Production + shipping another 2 month.

So I think preorder is rdy in Q4. So with a bit of luck the first customers should have it xmas or early january.
Hi Dan, any updates on the Manual and pro photos? just been a long time

Reactions: proficide