DAN A4-SFX v4.1

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Maybe the 200W unit is the problem. Did you test limiting the CPU with "Max Long Power Duration" to 95W? Did you get a shutdown running prime 95?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Maybe the 200W unit is the problem. Did you test limiting the CPU with "Max Long Power Duration" to 95W? Did you get a shutdown running prime 95?

Running Prime, the Dynamo combo has no problem at all.

It was supposed to be my next move limiting the CPU, but the system shut down with no power anymore, so i think the Dynamo now should be sent back for warranty!
BTW, I tested having only the CPU driven by the Dynamo and the GPU by the hdplex with a second brick, and everything was smooth!

Now I am on holiday. I’ll try the HDplex 400 with the cpu at 95W, but I’m trying to have the system with not power limit and smooth! The CPU with the new Rad stay at 82 degrees in prime at 4.7GHZ for all cores! And the fan not spinning at max!
The Gpu will be ok if only I have the right power!
The Gunique that I will have soon I think will solve the problem!

Last edited:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Does anyone have any experience running the MSI Gaming-X or Titanium series cards in the A4?

I'm running a 1070 in an S4 Mini but the noise output is a fair bit higher than I'd like, I now realize. I'm thinking of getting an A4 and putting in one of those cards (1070 up - not too concerned which, but best price/perf radio right now seems to be 1070 Ti Titanium), but am wondering if anybody can speak to the noise output of those in an A4. My understanding is that they all fit, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

My plan would only be to undervolt as much as I can to maintain stock performance (with a clock and memory increase to compensate, obviously). I'm thinking of using an SF450 to maximize chances of silent operation (I hear the 450's are better than the 600's in this regard).

Thanks in advance!

totallynoob

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2018
Since OCUK never bothered to reply to my Black Ridge order complaint, I went ahead and tried the unit out anyways even though I blatantly had gaps between all heatpipes.

I replaced the stock BR fan with a slim 92mm Noctua as intake.
Delidded 8700k through Silicon Lottery.
Undervolted CPU to 1.08v

Ambient temperature 21c
CPU idles 33c-37c
74c after 2 hours of Prime95

Not the best, but I'm actually surprised considering the recall of the cooler. CPU was hitting 85c before undervolting.
My NVMe stays relatively cool as well.

Reactions: fabio and Nanook

Milamber

What's an ITX?
Dec 23, 2018
Since OCUK never bothered to reply to my Black Ridge order complaint, I went ahead and tried the unit out anyways even though I blatantly had gaps between all heatpipes.

I replaced the stock BR fan with a slim 92mm Noctua as intake.
Delidded 8700k through Silicon Lottery.
Undervolted CPU to 1.08v

Ambient temperature 21c
CPU idles 33c-37c
74c after 2 hours of Prime95

Not the best, but I'm actually surprised considering the recall of the cooler. CPU was hitting 85c before undervolting.
My NVMe stays relatively cool as well.

Hi mate, by chance are you using the Asus Z370-I mobo? If so can you share the length of the custom psu cables? I would like to replace the default cables on mine as it's too fugly lol

totallynoob

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2018
Hi mate, by chance are you using the Asus Z370-I mobo? If so can you share the length of the custom psu cables? I would like to replace the default cables on mine as it's too fugly lol

Not too sure about the measurements. I actually bought them from pslatecustoms.com
High quality work and his measurements is spot on.

Reactions: Nanook

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
By some miracle, this is the first case where an I/O shield has properly lined up with the I/O on one of my motherboards. I thought that was worth mentioning. Good work @dondan/Lian Li lol.

phantoms7

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

just 2 questions, if you guys don’t mind.

Here is my planned build (all ordered and paid):
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phantoms7/saved/bPffHx
The original Cryorig fan will be replaced by the Noctua - NF-A9x14 using this adapter: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2311157

1. Is it better to use this riser in my build https://www.sfflab.com/products/pcie-extender-adt?variant=19510969761905 instead of the riser that came along with my A4v3 case?
2. Is it better to use this shrouds (3,5 or 5mm) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3018556 in terms of fan noise and CPU temp reduction? I’m worrying about the total height of the cooler with the shroud.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I see your list and wonder a view things:

Why Z390 and not H310? (Save $60)
Why 970 Pro and not EVO? (Save $40)
Why not Corsair DDR4 PC-2400? (Save $80)
Why not SF450 more than enough (Save $30)
Why not RTX2070 ( same price)

Total saving: $210

So with my adjustments you save 210$ and you will get more FPS because it includes a RTX2070.

phantoms7

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 27, 2018
I see your list and wonder a view things:

Why Z390 and not H310? (Save $60)
Why 970 Pro and not EVO? (Save $40)
Why not Corsair DDR4 PC-2400? (Save $80)
Why not SF450 more than enough (Save $30)
Why not RTX2070 ( same price)

Total saving: $210

So with my adjustments you save 210$ and you will get more FPS because it includes a RTX2070.

Thank you dondan.
Mostly it was an advice from a mate working in a hardware shop. I wanted a reliable machine for the next 4-5 years with a possibility of future minor upgrades. The keypoint is that I’m stationed in Vietnam, and it’s not a piece of cake to get a good quality (not a second hand) hardware inside the country. Most of overseas packages are stopped by customs without any notice or explanation. I’m gonna visit my home country to grab the components and bring it back to Vietnam.
Regarding RTX, I’ve read a several complains about these GPUs, and I think that it’s not a “well polished” and reliable product like GTX is nowadays.

PS Would be nice to get some answers on my questions.

Last edited:

JAugust

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2018
is it normal that the track and trace code of my ADT riser cable is stuck on ''Leaving parcel center Guangzhou (China)'' since December 17th?

& @seamon, isn't that cooltek a little bit too tall for the DAN? like 5mm too tall?

Flatliner

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 28, 2018
Been going back and forth with getting the A4 and after reading through way more of this thread than I care to admit I just pulled the trigger. Created this account just to say that this thread alone has some of the absolute best information on the A4 that exists on the internet.

Reactions: AseDen

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Hi guys here are all changes for A4-SFX v4

- ADT 185mm PCIe x16 gen 3 riser
- USB 3.0 Typ-C to 20pin intrnal header (90% confirmed)
- changed to the drive bay so it will support 15mm thick drives
- added thread for easy installation of custom window kits
- adding 92mm fan support under the motherboard
- lifting up motherboard for better bottom fan clearance
- the 120mm AIO bracket will not be included and an optional part on SFFLab

With best regards
Daniel

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

With best regards
Daniel
Thank you for this update! I predict Q2 2019?

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

With best regards
Daniel
Thanks a lot man!!