DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Speculating a bit, do you think we could go back to standard 2 bay drive gpu configuration as raytracing gets tamed and we continue into smaller nodes? Sort of how the maxwell gtx 970 had a mini variant a couple gens after fermi?
There's little reason to expect that node development will get easier going forward - we're rapidly approaching the hard physical limitations of silicon, and new process nodes will increasingly need to deal with issues inherent with feature sizes just a handful of atoms large. And GPU makers seem to have settled on there not being any limits to GPU power consumption as long as it makes them competitive. Architectural improvements are our best bet for improvements going forward, but due to the aforementioned approach to product segmentation, that efficiency will likely be cashed in through pushing performance even higher. There's also the inherent thermal disadvantage of thin heatsinks and fan, especially the relatively cheap generic fans used by most GPU makers. It's easier and cheaper to just make a huge honking heatsink (which you can sell for more money, as big = good for a lot of people) than to research and develop tightly optimized thermal solutions. Brute force wins out.

The potential upside of this: not all GPUs are flagship SKUs. This means that there is room for more efficient SKUs lower down, or just undervolting and underclocking otherwise hot-running GPUs - assuming they are launched with 2-slot coolers. But sadly due to how an ATX case can house essentially as big a GPU as you want, and SFF still being relatively niche, I doubt we're getting strict 2-slot cards back any time soon.

Reactions: pr0m3t and rfarmer

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015

jward

Case Bender
New User
Apr 14, 2022
Hey Dan,

I'm planning a build using the Dan A4 but I don't know which CPU cooler to buy for a Ryzen 5 5600.
Out of these three which would be best?
  • Alpenfohn Black Ridge with Noctua A9x14 Fan (92mm Fan)
  • Thermalright AXP-90 Black (Nickel Heatsink not Full Copper Version) with Noctua A9x14 Fan
  • Noctua L9A (AM4) with 3D Printed Fan Duct

jward

Case Bender
New User
Apr 14, 2022
Interjecting because I’ve looked at this too…

An optimal cooling solution would employ the Black Ridge with a 120mm fan. This is only possible when using very low profile (VLP) RAM sticks, typically intended for servers. NB, if you choose this route there are aftermarket heat sinks for said RAM.
I'm aware that that is the optimal cooling solution. Unfortunately, I already have some very good RAM sticks I would like to use that are only compatible with a 92mm fan installed on the BR, I would also like to cooler to be black, so copper heatsinks were out of the question, hence the options listed. Would the Black Ridge with a 92mm fan still be the best or does the smaller fan produce worse results than the other two options listed?

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
A4 owners: has anyone managed to fit an EVGA 3080 XC3 by deshrouding it? Wondering if the fans still clear the side panel. Thanks!
Thanks for all the feedback. Managed to find a good price on a dual-slot INNO3D, so all set.

@dondan, I wish to use extended offsets for the GPU slot, but will need to acquire some. What are the dimensions (length, thread) I should seek?

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
It has been discussed that the PCIe slot can be pushed out further to better support flow-through GPU designs.
What are the dimensions of the standoffs required for this?

Last edited:

Ngeloms

Chassis Packer
Sep 21, 2020
Hello! New Dan A4 owner here :)

I have a question. Can I improve GPU temps by replacing a dual-fan GPU for a triple-fan one? I currently have a dual-fan Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti Eagle. I'm thinking about trading it for a triple-fan Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC LHR. Will I have better temps this way? I'm asking this because in theory a triple-fan GPU would be more "exposed" to the side panel holes.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Hello! New Dan A4 owner here :)

I have a question. Can I improve GPU temps by replacing a dual-fan GPU for a triple-fan one? I currently have a dual-fan Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti Eagle. I'm thinking about trading it for a triple-fan Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC LHR. Will I have better temps this way? I'm asking this because in theory a triple-fan GPU would be more "exposed" to the side panel holes.
I think so. The bigger card involves more fans and a bigger heatsink. These contribute to better cooling performance. Just make sure to get the v2 or v3 variant of this card as they are the ones that are actually 2 slot so that it can fit in the SFX case. Then update us about the results and also show us the build please.

Reactions: Ngeloms

Ngeloms

Chassis Packer
Sep 21, 2020
I think so. The bigger card involves more fans and a bigger heatsink. These contribute to better cooling performance. Just make sure to get the v2 or v3 variant of this card as they are the ones that are actually 2 slot so that it can fit in the SFX case. Then update us about the results and also show us the build please.
I'll have to wait until July before I get the new card (a cousin will bring it to me from another country).
I didn't know the earlier version of this card was thicker 🤯
Thanks for replying ^_^

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
It depends on your workload. Gaming maybe but not heavy application.

But why going the hard route?
Just set the TDP to 65W and use it with an Noctua L9i. Yes the CPU will be a bit slower but you will get more than enough performance.

For a fully unlocked 12700 better get the A4-H2O with an 240 AIO.