DAN A4-SFX v4.1

White Wolf

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2020
This being a two slot card are you able to put the sides on the case while gaming?
Yes, with plenty of space! With the panels on, there is still about 1cm gap between the GPU fans and the panel itself. A dual slot card is a dual slot card…

I even experimented with extending the GPU mounting screws so that the card sits closer to the front panel and can better utilise the blow through design (pic).

Weird fact is that my temps and noise got worse (blow through design on this inno3d is marketing bs). Due to this I reverted to the original 5mm spacing…

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Yes, with plenty of space! With the panels on, there is still about 1cm gap between the GPU fans and the panel itself. A dual slot card is a dual slot card…

I even experimented with extending the GPU mounting screws so that the card sits closer to the front panel and can better utilise the blow through design (pic).

Weird fact is that my temps and noise got worse (blow through design on this inno3d is marketing bs). Due to this I reverted to the original 5mm spacing…

Good to know! I need to start saving up for this card :)

Reactions: White Wolf

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020

Hey, how were you able to mount the gpu after adding those spacers? I also tried this and I was not able to do it with my piece and neither with my 2060 due to then not being able to put the i/o of the card through the hole on the rear side of the case.

Reactions: White Wolf

White Wolf

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2020
Hey, how were you able to mount the gpu after adding those spacers? I also tried this and I was not able to do it with my piece and neither with my 2060 due to then not being able to put the i/o of the card through the hole on the rear side of the case.
The ones I am using (yellow color) are 3-4mm thick as opposed to regular 5mm spacers (black ones).

Reactions: Arboreal

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
The ones I am using (yellow color) are 3-4mm thick as opposed to regular 5mm spacers (black ones).
I mean there's a cutout in the back of the case where you can see the gpu IO with it's DP and HDMI ports. Above it, this silverish metal plate with the connections bends through the case and you can screw it down with two screws. THAT hole is exactly the size that a 2 slot IO can fit through it without spacers.
Once I want the gpu to be a few mm towards the side panels, I cannot put the top of the IO through the case, as it now doesn't fit into that hole - it being a few mm to the side from it.

White Wolf

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2020
I mean there's a cutout in the back of the case where you can see the gpu IO with it's DP and HDMI ports. Above it, this silverish metal plate with the connections bends through the case and you can screw it down with two screws. THAT hole is exactly the size that a 2 slot IO can fit through it without spacers.
Once I want the gpu to be a few mm towards the side panels, I cannot put the top of the IO through the case, as it now doesn't fit into that hole - it being a few mm to the side from it.
perhaps you got an older case... my is v4.1

Patience

Efficiency Noob
Jan 5, 2021
Ok probably not all you're hoping for, but I did SOME testing using the 3080 FE. All my testing was done using Minecraft RTX mind you; the game I really wanted to try ;-), but obviously not the most heavy hitter. I ran into some serious noise issues; not the acoustic performance I was hoping for or expecting. MUCH worse than my previous 1080. I immediately tried some undervolting hoping for some relief, using these exact settings. Stable for sure (in Minecraft lol), but the noise still ramped up. Looked at my temps and fan speed; around 69 degrees Celsius and 40% fan speed. GPU fan speed did not ramp up but the noise got much worse. Turns out to be quite obvious: the PSU was ramping up its fan unlike I've ever seen. I figured "there's a couple mm space for the hot air to get out, so let's turn that 3080 back around". And so I did. Much better. MUCH. GPU temps and fan speed APPEAR to be roughly the same, but while the PSU noise started after about 10 minutes when using the PSU as an exhaust, things are now still reasonably quiet after almost an hour. I can feel the cool air being drawn by the PSU, and the top of the case is much less hot to the touch than before. Still a bit more noise than the 1080 FE, but this was to be expected and overall seems reasonable to me. During this testing I did not revert the undervolting, I'm going to keep it this way and see if it's stable. Honestly, I'm happy with the performance now, maybe I'll even put the plastic sheet back in.

TLDR: I do not recommend flipping the PSU to serve as an exhaust myself. Thermal performance seems okay with the PSU drawing in fresh air, though testing was rather limited.

FYI: the PSU is a Corsair SF600, and in the case is a 8700K (stock clocks) as well being cooled using a Noctua NH-L9i.

Hi Everyone,

I successfully got a 3080 TI FE card. And I have to confirm to not flip the PSU (corsair SF750).

Indeed, I flipped the PSU to allow air going out through it from the GPU and it results of high temps, strange electronic noises in PSU and the GPU card was in Power Limit: Reliability mode. I think, due to high temperature in PSU, it starts itself to reduce power to obviously reduce temps of its own components. But in fact, the PSU is not aware that the heat is coming from outside, so from the GPU. --> I switched off immediately the computer.

I did run the same test by putting the PSU on the table near the computer and let the GPU exhaust fan completely free, without obstruction... then PSU was delivering needed power without extra heat, GPU running at max power without reliability mode to be activated, system was cool enough!

sffnomis

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2021
@swooby: Here is a german site that tested it: https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Verm...vs-3900X-vs-10900K-5950X-Benchmark-1360653/2/

All test was done 720p where the CPU impact is higher. So if you play in 1080p, 1440p or 2160p the performance lost is even lower.

Here are also some application benchmarks: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11/amd-ryzen-5000-test/5/#abschnitt_multicoreszenarien

There are two ways to activate the "Eco Mode (TDP 65W)".

1. Ryzen Master Software
2. UEFI - Search for ECO-Mode or PPT (Power Plan Tracking)

With PPT you can change the TDP to a level you like. Keep in mind this value isn't 1:1. The factor is 1:1,35 so if you like to have a 45W CPU you have to setup the value 45*1,35 = 61

PS: For Heatsink get one of these:
- Noctua L9a with fan duct (3D Print files from dan-cases.com FAQ)
- Thermalright AXP90 copper with Noctua A9x15
- Black Ridge with Noctua A12x15 an VLP RAM

With best regards
Daniel Hansen
Unfortunately for the 5800x with Eco mode on and with the asetek 92mm aio, I am still getting 60c idle and over 90c gaming, with undervolt : (

sffnomis

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2021
@swooby: Here is a german site that tested it: https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Verm...vs-3900X-vs-10900K-5950X-Benchmark-1360653/2/

All test was done 720p where the CPU impact is higher. So if you play in 1080p, 1440p or 2160p the performance lost is even lower.

Here are also some application benchmarks: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11/amd-ryzen-5000-test/5/#abschnitt_multicoreszenarien

There are two ways to activate the "Eco Mode (TDP 65W)".

1. Ryzen Master Software
2. UEFI - Search for ECO-Mode or PPT (Power Plan Tracking)

With PPT you can change the TDP to a level you like. Keep in mind this value isn't 1:1. The factor is 1:1,35 so if you like to have a 45W CPU you have to setup the value 45*1,35 = 61

PS: For Heatsink get one of these:
- Noctua L9a with fan duct (3D Print files from dan-cases.com FAQ)
- Thermalright AXP90 copper with Noctua A9x15
- Black Ridge with Noctua A12x15 an VLP RAM

With best regards
Daniel Hansen
Unfortunately for the 5800x with Eco mode on and with the asetek 92mm aio, I am still getting 60c idle and over 90c gaming, with undervolt : (

sffnomis

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2021
Because no one has talked about it. I thought I chime in.

I got a Dell/Alienware 3080, and was able to fit it in the A4 after deshredding.

I tried fitting 14mm Noctua fans originally but it was still 2mm too thick. I ended up with Scythe 12mm fans and it worked perfectly. Gaming temp (2077 Psycho setting with DLSS on) is around 75c core, 86c vrm, which is acceptable.

sffnomis

Cable Smoosher
Apr 22, 2021
60C idle is not ok. Are you sure that the pump/block is seated correctly ? What's the temperature inside the bios ? Do you have a spare heatsink to test (AMD box is fine) ?
I have re-pasted and re-installed block. I don't have a spare heatsink unfortunately. HWinfo is showing pump rpm constantly around 5600-6700; Noctua A9x14 is around 1400 at idle and upwards of 2600 at full load

@dondan fan direction is push

dPunisher

Chassis Packer
Aug 20, 2021
www.youtube.com
Punishers... check.
Fat NF-A9's on L9a coolers... check.

so what happened to those custom cables?

Thanks, someone already warned me that the 14mm fan was better than the 25mm. I'll check. But to get better performance with 14mm I need the fan duct otherwise it will only recycle all the hot air inside.

I wanted black aesthetics for this build. I sold my other PC as is.

dPunisher

Chassis Packer
Aug 20, 2021
www.youtube.com
Someone asked me if I had to mod something to fit the 2.2 slots wide card. As I told here in my post, no needed, just push the card back a little bit once inserted. I have tried to take some pictures, where you can see the margin that must be about 2 millimeters.

Reactions: ponline