DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Dazr87

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2019
Hardware Canucks posted this tweet:
They tested a bunch of X570s and found the 5700 Series GPUs wouldnt work properly with riser/vertical mounts and also they said there was no bios option to switch to Gen3. Not sure which ones they tested, they didnt say.

However, I found someone on Reddit who has a Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi and he said that his bios DOES have the option to switch from PCIe "Auto" to "Gen3"

Reactions: Nanook

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Any word on stocks for SFFLab? Was hoping to get it from there as opposed to OcUK for worldwide shipping.

Within next 8-9 weeks. If you can't wait - it is available on ocuk.

Can you explain what you are talking about, I don't understand, what's not compatible , and a active retimer component?

Every data connection has two limiting factors shielding and wire length/connection count. If the shielding is bad you have cross talk between two close data wires or external influces that can corrupt the data packages. PCIe 4.0 has very high frequencies that limit the signal length because after some inches the signal and clock is out of shape, also every physical connection reduce the signal quality so you need a retimer or redriver to rebuild it.

The max length for PCIe 4.0 is 10inch this is 254mm. The A4-SFXv4 riser is 185mm so we have ~70mm from CPU to PCIE socket and GPU to riser socket. There is a bit of hope that this will work. With a bit of luck the Gigabyte x570 ITX has a retimer infront of the PCIe socket this will help alot.

Interestingly enough, I swapped the fan to blower and I have similar issue.
Sorry I dont get the question.

Last edited:

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
PCIe 4 don't like at all long lenght riser.

To be able to use a PCIe 4 long lenght riser it needs a retimer (an alimented hardwer thing that extend and reduce the PCIe signal loss)

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
Can you explain what you are talking about, I don't understand, what's not compatible , and a active retimer component?

What brand x570 mobo?
For PCI-E 4.0 the riser cable needs to be less than a certain length, otherwise it should have an active retimer to keep the PCI-E 4.0 bandwith.
As PCI-E 4.0 on RX5700 cards has proven make about 0% difference, it shouldn't be an issue to set PCI-E bandwith to PCI-E 3.0 in the BIOS to make use of the current bundled PCI-E riser cable.

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Jun 6, 2019
The only mobo that supports PCI-E Gen 4 are the X570 and Gigabyte x570 ITX is the only mobo with the Retimer?

Are there any updates to support Gen 4 on B450 itx mobo?

Will any graphics card work with PCI-E Gen 4?

Last edited:

LiYonJin

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2019
The only mobo that supports PCI-E Gen 4 are the X570 and Gigabyte x570 ITX is the only mobo with the Retimer?

Are there any updates to support Gen 4 on B450 itx mobo?

Will any graphics card work with PCI-E Gen 4?

B450 aren't backwards compatible as far as I'm aware for 4.0 you'll have to get the new mobo x570 to use any 4.0 features for the new Nvme M.2 and the new AMD Navi GPU(5700/XT)

only the CPU is backwards compatible as its AM4 socket

Will any graphics card work with PCI-E Gen 4? Yes, PCI-E 4.0 is backward compatible

so most of us are all using 3.0 riser cables which might not support the the new AMD hardware, let me translate what Dan was saying in more simple terms

3.0 mobo(B450) + riser cable 3.0 + 4.0 GPU(5700/XT) = no
4.0 mobo(x570) + riser cable 3.0 + 4.0 GPU = maybe ( Dan will put this to the test as the cable shorter )
4.0 mobo(x570) + riser cable 3.0 + 3.0 GPU(970gtx,1080ti,2080ti,radeonVii) = Yes

currently their no 4.0 riser cable at this very point to solve our current issue, but in due time, someone will be making it as their clearly a demand.

Reactions: 91Mackmr2

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
I'm getting unexpected bad thermals and I'm not sure what the reason is.

i migrated from a Dan A4 v2 to a v4 and swapped out my pump from the 92mm Asetek 545LC to the 645LT. However, to my surprise, temps shot up through the roof. I swapped cases in hopes of getting better thermals with the added A9x14 under the motherboard tray. To my surprise and shock, my temps are now worse even with the fan and the new pump. Nothing else was changed other than swapping in Pslate custom unshielded PSU cables instead of Corsair stock ribbon cables.

Furthermore, I'm hearing a new whine/engine noise. I'm not sure if that's the turbulence from the added bottom fan or if that's how the 645LT is supposed to sound.

I'm at a loss on what may be the issue here:

Specs are
8700k delidded with aftermarket copper IHS
Asus Strix 370-i
Corsair LPX
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
Corsair SF600 with Pslate custom cables
EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra Gaming
Thermal Grizzly Kryptonaut

lahn

Case Bender
Jul 10, 2019
3.0 mobo(B450) + riser cable 3.0 + 4.0 GPU(5700/XT) = no
Surely if you use a 4.0 GPU on a motherboard with PCIE 3.0 (or even 2.0), it will simply downgrade to use that? Hence why RX5700 works just fine in older motherboards.
Problem would be only when motherboard AND GPU both are 4.0, then it could become a problem with riser length?

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I'm getting unexpected bad thermals and I'm not sure what the reason is.

i migrated from a Dan A4 v2 to a v4 and swapped out my pump from the 92mm Asetek 545LC to the 645LT. However, to my surprise, temps shot up through the roof. I swapped cases in hopes of getting better thermals with the added A9x14 under the motherboard tray. To my surprise and shock, my temps are now worse even with the fan and the new pump. Nothing else was changed other than swapping in Pslate custom unshielded PSU cables instead of Corsair stock ribbon cables.

Furthermore, I'm hearing a new whine/engine noise. I'm not sure if that's the turbulence from the added bottom fan or if that's how the 645LT is supposed to sound.

I'm at a loss on what may be the issue here:

Specs are
8700k delidded with aftermarket copper IHS
Asus Strix 370-i
Corsair LPX
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
Corsair SF600 with Pslate custom cables
EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra Gaming
Thermal Grizzly Kryptonaut
Maybe the cpu block isn’t making good contact with your 8700k? Have you tried remounting the Asetek on the cpu?

wallysimmonds

Caliper Novice
Nov 30, 2018
I've got a 3700x waiting to be picked up (coming from a 2600 in the Dancase v3) and am really unsure which cooler I should get. Have a Noctua L9 currently..
The L9 has been fine for most things I do and it's pretty quiet but it does get a bit toasty in battlefield.
I had toyed with the idea of getting the Asetek 645 but it does sound like a massive pain to install and I'm not seeing great things on this forum in terms of noise and trouble free operation, so the Blackridge looks like it might be a better choice (although I'm running Corsair LPX and don't really want to swap it out).

GucksTV, do you think its worth taking a look at the AXP? I appreciate the work/testing you have been doing on your channel, even though I don't speak German your posts are really helpful.

tarfeef101

Efficiency Noob
Apr 5, 2019
@dondan any idea when the 120mm AIO brackets will ship (specifically ordered from sfflab)? they have been on sale for a while, but haven't received anything yet.

hopefully it will in the next week or so, otherwise i fear i might have to break out the emergency aliexpress downdraft cooler :D

tarfeef101

Efficiency Noob
Apr 5, 2019
I've got a 3700x waiting to be picked up (coming from a 2600 in the Dancase v3) and am really unsure which cooler I should get. Have a Noctua L9 currently..
The L9 has been fine for most things I do and it's pretty quiet but it does get a bit toasty in battlefield.
I had toyed with the idea of getting the Asetek 645 but it does sound like a massive pain to install and I'm not seeing great things on this forum in terms of noise and trouble free operation, so the Blackridge looks like it might be a better choice (although I'm running Corsair LPX and don't really want to swap it out).

GucksTV, do you think its worth taking a look at the AXP? I appreciate the work/testing you have been doing on your channel, even though I don't speak German your posts are really helpful.
I recommend going for a setup similar to what I'm doing, if you're willing to put in the effort: ITX-sized GPU, 120mm AIO. If you have flexibility in your GPU choice, I feel that's the best way to get good CPU cooling, and from what I've seen (will be testing in the next week or so), the 2070 mini from gigabyte can offer quite a bit of GPU horses. Once my AIO bracket arrives for my V4 I'll put my full build together with a 3600x and I'll probably repaste the GPU as well for the best thermals possible. I'll make a post with the thermal results once that's done.

Reactions: mfgillia

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Since the RTX2070Super takes most of the RTX2080, pretty sure we won't see 2070Super ITX.

I don't know you, but I think the RX 5700 Xt is a good candidate for ITX form factor!!

Reactions: riba2233