DAN A4-SFX v4.1

Edison

Minimal Tinkerer
May 4, 2019
@dondan
hi! I wanna ask when the custom window kits of V4 will be In stock?
And, how could I get the CAD drawings of the window kits? Because I want to DIY an acrylic one.Thank U!

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
@Edison Dan said he won't be making window kits for the V4. Instead, he provided the CAD drawing already on his website under the A4's FAQ page.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Did the change with the AIO bracket being able to mount in front of the motherboard to allow for a 120mm fan make it into v4?

LoserCard

Cable Smoosher
Mar 22, 2019
@dondan At first I thought the USB-C port on front was a poor decision due to the lack of adoption on peripherals (aside from phones) at this point in time (don't get my wrong, I think your case is the best utilization of space for components of any similar designed cases), however, I found the most perfect solution to this front port (for my situation). With the release of the Valve Index we are now introduced to the first line of VirtualLink VR headsets (I'm sure there are more to come). If you are not already well aware, these use USB-C connecting to either Thunderbolt 3 or directly to the GPU to provide DisplayPort, USB 3.0, and power.

With that being said, my plan is to replace the USB-C female panel mount-to-20 pin header with a USB-C female panel mount-to-male/female USB-C and run directly off of the rear TB3 port on my motherboard IO (or GPU once I upgrade to RTX).

Note: This panel mount/extension does not need full TB3 power output/speed and should (theoretically) fall within USB 3.1 gen1/gen2 specs and data transfer.

I am still waiting on my case, but I was hoping you could provide me with the dimensions of the panel mounted USB-C terminal you designed the case with? Specifically the distance between the screw hole centers for the panel mount USB-C or perhaps you might know if the same manufacturer makes this adapter with a male/female USB-C on the other end.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers!

Last edited:

PeGys

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 13, 2019
Is the extra fan under the motherboard 14mm fan only ? or 15mm fan will works ? On the official V4 pics it looks like a 15mm fan.

As I recall, the motherboard got risen a bit in the V4 and there is a fan cutout under the motherboard.

With the V3 it was already possible to fit a 14mm fan. I can tell as I have a 14mm noctua under there.
So with the changes made to the V4, chances are 15mm fan will fit with some spare headroom.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
For anyone who's used an HD-Plex 400 in the A4, is it possible to replace the power cord below the GPU and mount the 400W AD-DC adapter there for a fully internal layout and a 120mm Radiator in place of the standard SFX PSU?

Yorkfield

Chassis Packer
Mar 10, 2018
I jut feel like a kid again.

Haven't had that feeling in a vey long time tho.

KoolAid

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 3, 2019
Hi, first time here in the forum. Can I ask when will there be a 120mm AIO bracket be available to purchase and where?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The STL file for Noctua L9i 3D print fan duct with high ram clearance is now available in the FAQ section on dan-cases.com

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
Finished my REV1 build in the V4... everything is working fine. I threw in some pictures of my ASUS XG Station Pro eGPU for comparison. It was quite unfortunate that I couldn't fit the Strix Vega 56 in the case though...

Things to do:
1) new cabling
2) add LED's
3) add fan under PSU
4) swap 512 Gb SSD with 1 Tb

As for the fan under the mobo, I did put a Noctua 92x14mm under there. It's a tight fit, but the mobo is right up against the fan but not putting any pressure on it. I decided to put the fan there for now as it would be a PITA to do it later. I plan on getting another 14mm fan to put under the PSU (not sure if it will help any, but I'll give it a try).

Note: the jpegs are a bit overexposed as these came directly from my DSLR (too lazy to edit the raw files at this point), so please bear with them...

Last edited:

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
The STL file for Noctua L9i 3D print fan duct with high ram clearance is now available in the FAQ section on dan-cases.com

Nice work @dondan ! What was the final wall thickness that you modeled? I ended up with only ~1.35mm on my modified model. Your design looks a bit thicker.

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
It looks like 15mm won't be possible :(

I was looking at the fan and mobo again when I was putting in some LED strips, and it looks like you could possibly fit in a 15mm fan if it’s directly flush on the bottom of the case.

I’m using the vibration pads to mount the 14mm Noctua, so it spaces the fan above the bottom surface ~1mm.

So I guess there is some hope for a 15mm!

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
@omardesu It could be just my opinion but, seeing how close is the undermobo fan from the heatsink "exhaust" maybe it would be better to set it like exhaust too? It seems that both airflows will be colliding (the hot exhaust from the noctua's fins and the cool intake from the undermobo fan)
That way you'll be maximizing the duct fan effect by immediatelly pushing out the hoted air that you have taken fresh from the outside

Last edited:
Reactions: renecop545

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
@omardesu It could be just my opinion but, seeing how close is the undermobo fan from the heatsink "exhaust" maybe it would be better to set it like exhaust too? It seems that both airflows will be colliding (the hot exhaust from the noctua's fins and the cool intake from the undermobo fan)
That way you'll be maximizing the duct fan effect by immediatelly pushing out the hoted air that you have taken fresh from the outside
This was part of why I wondered why wasn't the mobo moved down in favor of a top exhaust. Would benefit even blower GPUs, which often exhaust a bit of their heat in that area (internally).

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019

I’m still experimenting with the fan setup. The way it is now keeps the area below the fan pretty cool so there is no hot air coming from the bottom that could be sucked back in by the duct. My idea is to force all the hot air upwards on the mobo side. And I have another 14mm fan on order to put under the PSU/GPU which should feed both cool fresh air from below.

That mobo fan is a PITA do change since you essentially need to have that whole side of the case empty to have the fan go in without any resistance (remove GPU, undo the riser, remove the fan duct, connections, the mobo, and the AC power bulkhead at the back of the case). So I’ll see how the temps are with 2 fans, before I start modulating the orientations...