DAN A4-SFX v4.1

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I like the sticker idea for the usb port...wish they made a tighter option though.

Here's my finished build:
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K @4.8gHz (Mild OC) - Delid with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra TIM
Delid Kit Used: Rockit 88 LGA 1151 Kit
CPU Cooler: Asetek 545lc AIO with Noctua NF-A9x14
AIO Cooler to CPU TIM: Arctic MX-4
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z370-I GAMING
Memory: GSKILL 16GB DDR4 3200
Storage: SAMSUNG 512GB 960PRO NVME M.2 SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G
Power Supply: Corsair SF600
Power Supply Cables: Corsair SF Series Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit - Black Model# CP-8920202
Case: Dan A4 SFX V2 Black

Nice looking build. I used the same setup to delid my 8700k, worked very well.

IceIceBear

Chassis Packer
Mar 5, 2018
Hi folks,

Being a first-timer in PC building, here are some of my personal thoughts.

I have decided to lay my hands on the Dan Case A4SFX v2, though I know that building into a mini ITX case could be quite overwhelming for a first-timer. However, the slick and minimalistic look of the Dan case is just really attractive and I'm personally impressed by the logical arrangement of standard components in such a tiny case. For the final assembly, I put on the standard metal side panel at the GPU side for better intake of air, while using the window kit at the CPU side to show off the internals. There are plenty of exhaust holes on the top of the case for effective cooling.

For the motherboard, I went with the Ausu ROG Strix Z370-i, a fantastic board with dual M.2 slots, great storage expansion, nice build quality and massive heat sinks. The only complain I have is that I hope the WiFi antenna could be screwed onto the board directly.

After doing some research, I decided to choose I7-8700K as my processor, pairs with a mainstream Cryorig C7 CPU Cooler. Yes, I understood that K model has higher TDP of 95W than the non-K model in the line-up, which may cause some problems in my thermal management. However, I also have learned that by doing some tweaks to my CPU could help me to better cool this CPU even under load, such as undervolting. I wish I could do delidding, but it might be a bit risky for a beginner like me. The K model would give more flexibility in the future event of possible overclocking. Although Cryorig C7 runs loud under load indeed, I personally felt that the noise level is bearable. However, for sure it looks much better than its main competitor Noctua L9i. To further improve the temperature, I chose the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as my thermal paste, I think the Conductonaut might be a better option, but I'm just a little uncertain to work with liquid metal.

Next, I chose 16GB of ADATA XPG Spectrix 3200 DDR4 Ram, which comes with Aura Sync to gave my build a bit more RGB essence. For storage, I chose Samsung 960 Evo 256GB as my boot drive and Western Digital Black 512 M.2 as my randomly accessed storage drive. Nothing too fancy, just try to cut down the cables in the build. May consider adding a 2TB 2.5'' HDD into the build later for file archives.

Due to the recent rise in Crypto Currency, the price for GPU is just insane. The Palit GTX 1070 Ti Dual shares quite some similarity in appearance with PNY. Palit might be a rarely listed brand, but I can't say no to such a reasonable price. Ultimately, it's still a GTX 1070 Ti, isn't it? Anyway, I may switch to GTX 2000 series once it is released.

The PSU in my build is the Cosair SF450, a well-known SFF PSU. Although I did receive advice on getting a 600W option, after doing the power calculation on PC Part Picker, I felt that 450W is good enough, since I don't plan for any overclocking as for now.

On a side note, at this point in time, a 92mm Noctua NF-B9 redux 1600 PWM is waiting to be installed to provide a bit more airflow in my case, hopefully, a small drop in temperature as well. In addition, I'm also planning to do cable mod. I only have 3 power cables running through my case, which is very nice.

So, this is the entire selection of my first PC. I'm pretty happy with how it turns out. It's only 7.2 litres and 4.3 kilograms. I did undervolting to both CPU and GPU with Intel XTU and MSI Afterburner. The performance is not bad. In Cinebench R15, it scored around 1450 for overall CPU test. In 3DMark Fire strike, it scored around 17500. While 8700K is running at a max of 1.09v, 1070 Ti is running at a max of 0.850v. They clock at 4.3GHz (6 Cores) and 1810 MHz respectively in game (eg. PUBG at 2560x1080), while temperature stabilizes at 74 C and 76 C respectively. Lastly, I ran Aida64 overnight for 12 hours to ensure the stability of the system. I'm intending to borrow a FTX 1080 Founder's edition to see whether there could be temperature improvement.

Alright, maybe my choice might not be the wisest and my build might not be perfect, it is no doubt a fun experience. Hoping my build log could offer some help to others' build:) If there are suuggestions, please offer to me as well.

Reactions: 91Mackmr2

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Nice 1st time build. Interested in seeing how that 8700K does with the C7. You should repost this in the Build Logs section so the conversation doesn't hijack this thread.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Update: A4-SFXv3 full feature list:

I made the decission to add some more feature to the v3, because before it was more like a v2.1

• Lian Li 300mm PCIe Gen3 riser
  • Power button is now very close to the switch on the PCB. This will result in a more accurate pressure point
  • Front USB is angled to be compatible with 92mm Asetek AIO
  • Increasing the slot hole count for bottom fan
  • Including 120mm AIO Bracket for ITX GPU, HDPlex or Flex PSU usage (with SFX 177mm long GPU like Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini ITX, with HD Plex 273mm long GPU and with Flex 215mm long GPU)
  • Adding HDPlex 400W mountpoints and DC-Jack bracket
  • FLEX PSU support to use 120mm AIO and Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini and internal PSU (Maybe this will be an optional accessory)

Regards and thank you for your support
Daniel Hansen

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Update: A4-SFXv3 full feature list:

I made the decission to add some more feature to the v3, because before it was more like a v2.1

• Lian Li 300mm PCIe Gen3 riser
  • Power button is now very close to the switch on the PCB. This will result in a more accurate pressure point
  • Front USB is angled to be compatible with 92mm Asetek AIO
  • Increasing the slot hole count for bottom fan
  • Including 120mm AIO Bracket for ITX GPU, HDPlex or Flex PSU usage (with SFX 177mm long GPU like Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini ITX, with HD Plex 273mm long GPU and with Flex 215mm long GPU)
  • Adding HDPlex 400W mountpoints and DC-Jack bracket
  • FLEX PSU support to use 120mm AIO and Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini and internal PSU (Maybe this will be an optional accessory)
Regards and thank you for your support
Daniel Hansen

FANTASTIC IMPROVEMENTS !!! :thumb:

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
real nice improvements Dondan. Can you tell us the maximum height supported for the 120mm liquid cooler with fan installed? Also, AIO cpu coolers are supported or the only custom liquid coolers will be supported in this case?

naadofett

Cable Smoosher
Mar 11, 2018
Hi everyone. First time poster here. I could really use some advise from the SFF gurus.

I've got a A4-SFXv3 on pre-order, but since it won't come for a couple months I need to plan out the rest of the build. I'm coming from the below build. I was thinking of transferring over most of my parts, but I was curious to see if anyone finds a problem with that or has a better suggestion for me.

A couple things to note - I'm not really interested in de-lidding the CPU. I'm curious about the AIO coolers, but not sure if it's necessary and it may cause problems with SSD installation. Finally, for the expected future I plan to use the machine for ultra 1080p gaming that can handle the newest titles without a problem (ex. Final Fanstasy 15). I'm looking to upgrade the GPU from 980ti to something like a 1080ti or Titan Xp since they're both about the same price these days or possibly wait and see what the newest Nvidia card lineup/pricing ends up being.

Current build:
Define Nano S case
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming Motherboard
Intel 6700k CPU
Noctua NH-D14 HSF
2x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz RAM
STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3-6GD5-GAMING GPU
1x Samsung 850 EVO m.2
1x Samsung 850 EVO 1tb
1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb

Proposed build:
ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Gaming Motherboard
Intel 6700k CPU **system transfer
Noctua NH-L9I HSF
2x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz RAM **system transfer
STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3-6GD5-GAMING GPU **system transfer
1x Samsung 850 EVO m.2 **system transfer
1x Samsung 850 EVO 1tb **system transfer
1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb **system transfer
Corsair SF450 SFX PSU

Thanks for any input you have!

Cane

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
Hi everyone. First time poster here. I could really use some advise from the SFF gurus.

I've got a A4-SFXv3 on pre-order, but since it won't come for a couple months I need to plan out the rest of the build. I'm coming from the below build. I was thinking of transferring over most of my parts, but I was curious to see if anyone finds a problem with that or has a better suggestion for me.

A couple things to note - I'm not really interested in de-lidding the CPU. I'm curious about the AIO coolers, but not sure if it's necessary and it may cause problems with SSD installation. Finally, for the expected future I plan to use the machine for ultra 1080p gaming that can handle the newest titles without a problem (ex. Final Fanstasy 15). I'm looking to upgrade the GPU from 980ti to something like a 1080ti or Titan Xp since they're both about the same price these days or possibly wait and see what the newest Nvidia card lineup/pricing ends up being.

Current build:
Define Nano S case
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming Motherboard
Intel 6700k CPU
Noctua NH-D14 HSF
2x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz RAM
STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3-6GD5-GAMING GPU
1x Samsung 850 EVO m.2
1x Samsung 850 EVO 1tb
1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb

Proposed build:
ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Gaming Motherboard
Intel 6700k CPU **system transfer
Noctua NH-L9I HSF
2x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz RAM **system transfer
STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3-6GD5-GAMING GPU **system transfer
1x Samsung 850 EVO m.2 **system transfer
1x Samsung 850 EVO 1tb **system transfer
1x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb **system transfer
Corsair SF450 SFX PSU

Thanks for any input you have!
I dont see anything that would destroy your plan except your RAM. If you want to go with an AIO (ie the Asetek 545LC) the RAM should be pretty low. As I researched that topic I found out that your RAM must not be taller than 43mm or something like that, if I remember correctly. Otherwise you wont be able to close your Case.
And you should definitly think twice about delidding your CPU. It's really a great improvement and isn't that much of a risk.
Greets

Cane

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
I like the sticker idea for the usb port...wish they made a tighter option though.

Here's my finished build:
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K @4.8gHz (Mild OC) - Delid with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra TIM
Delid Kit Used: Rockit 88 LGA 1151 Kit
CPU Cooler: Asetek 545lc AIO with Noctua NF-A9x14
AIO Cooler to CPU TIM: Arctic MX-4
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z370-I GAMING
Memory: GSKILL 16GB DDR4 3200
Storage: SAMSUNG 512GB 960PRO NVME M.2 SSD
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G
Power Supply: Corsair SF600
Power Supply Cables: Corsair SF Series Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit - Black Model# CP-8920202
Case: Dan A4 SFX V2 Black

Any information about your temps?:) Im going to to the exact same build. Did you think of replacing the PSU fan with an noctua fan?

naadofett

Cable Smoosher
Mar 11, 2018
I dont see anything that would destroy your plan except your RAM. If you want to go with an AIO (ie the Asetek 545LC) the RAM should be pretty low. As I researched that topic I found out that your RAM must not be taller than 43mm or something like that, if I remember correctly. Otherwise you wont be able to close your Case.
And you should definitly think twice about delidding your CPU. It's really a great improvement and isn't that much of a risk.
Greets

Thanks for the information. After thinking about this more, I'm thinking of just starting a whole new build for the dancase and sell the old rig to someone as a complete turn-key unit.

So, that said, I'm now considering going with an i5 8600k and de-liding it (it doesn't seem to bad after watching some videos on that). Then my only questions is what to do about the CPU cooler: stay with the Noctua or go with the AIO watercooler? My concerns about the water cooling includes losing the internal drive tray and also whether or not the PC would be transportable on a plane without checking luggage due to the liquid inside (random concern, right? haha). I may be moving to Japan within the year so I'd potentially just put the PC in my carryon bag where I know it's safe. Also, I wonder how much better the watercooler really is over the Noctua HSF on a delidded 8600k potentially OC'd to ~5.0ghz.

Cane

Cable Smoosher
Feb 25, 2018
Thanks for the information. After thinking about this more, I'm thinking of just starting a whole new build for the dancase and sell the old rig to someone as a complete turn-key unit.

So, that said, I'm now considering going with an i5 8600k and de-liding it (it doesn't seem to bad after watching some videos on that). Then my only questions is what to do about the CPU cooler: stay with the Noctua or go with the AIO watercooler? My concerns about the water cooling includes losing the internal drive tray and also whether or not the PC would be transportable on a plane without checking luggage due to the liquid inside (random concern, right? haha). I may be moving to Japan within the year so I'd potentially just put the PC in my carryon bag where I know it's safe. Also, I wonder how much better the watercooler really is over the Noctua HSF on a delidded 8600k potentially OC'd to ~5.0ghz.
I think an AIO will cool your CPU better. Just look at the temps from Commanderwiggi above. I dont think you will get these results witch air cooling. On the other hand, an air cooled system will potentially stay more quiet. I already bought the Asetek AIO and my system is not dead silent anymore. Even tough its in a Fractal Design Define S behind my desk.
I think a pretty neat trick is buying a used NH-L9i. I need a NF-A9x14 somehow or other. But the one on the L9i has 2.5W which means that it can cool better. A new A9x14 costs me around 28 euros but delivers only 1,3W. A used L9i costs me around the same on eBay but with an extra cpu cooler.

seamon

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2017
My build is not as sophisticated as some here but it is mine :D

Specs:
core i7 6850K OC'd to 3.9Ghz
32GB RAM OC'd to 2800Mhz
GTX 1080Ti
2x5TB HDDs
1x500GB NVMe SSD
1x500GB SATA SSD
Corsair SF600 with Noctua mod

I have used Dynatron T318 with a Noctua 2.5W fan as the CPU Cooler. I am getting great temps imo, 55-58C idle, 73-75C Gaming(Mass Effect Andromeda, Assassin's Creed Origins) and 85C AIDA64.

GPU Temps are 40-42C idle and 83-84C gaming/stress. This is an improvement over FE which went till 87C.

40mm fans for exhaust

This is a GTX 1080Ti. I wasn't happy with FE temps and noise so I replaced it with a EVGA SC heatsink and 2 Noctua 92mm slim fans.

92mm fan for intake.

naadofett

Cable Smoosher
Mar 11, 2018
I ordered a STRIX Z370-I GAMING motherboard for my upcoming build in the v3 case. I liked the idea that it's got dual m.2 slots - one on the back of the motherboard and one on the top.

Have people had any issues with m.2 SSD heat in this case when mounted on the backside of motherboards? Has anyone ever cut out a small section of the divider wall of the case in order to have access to the CPU mounting area and/or m.2 location from the GPU portion of this case? If so, I'd be curious about more details.

Lord Fuddle

Efficiency Noob
Mar 15, 2018
I am so torn between the A4 and the C4, I guess I have until May to decide. Can’t wait to have a go at building in one of the Dan cases. What sort of temperatures could I expect in the A4 if I went with a 8th gen 8400 I would think it should run pretty well with it not being a K chip. Would it still be recommended to use the AIO. Also I noticed on Overclockers that they only have the V2 will they be getting the V3. If I went with the AIO can the front USB port still be used on the V3. Thanks for any help

Lord Fuddle

Efficiency Noob
Mar 15, 2018
Well I decided on the A4 and ordered one of the V3 cases. Now for what will seem like a awfully long wait. I do get confused about the graphics card though. I see many places saying that I should use a blower type card for this case but I have seen many builds not using them. Would my system benefit from a blower card or will I be fine with the aftermarket type which runs quieter and cooler. Many thanks i’m Sure I will have other questions as I go never built a small firm factor before.