Log Dan A4-SFX v3 - Ryzen 9 3900x + RTX 2080 Super - Is it cool?

CHOSEN.KA

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 2, 2021
Hello there!

It's my first post here, so please, keep that in mind ;)

I've just switched from A1 plus to Dan A4 v3 - and to be true, I really love it... but...
My CPU cooler is C7 RGB, and while it keeps the temps quite nice, the weird noise that it's making, is unbeareable!

I 'm thinking about Noctua L9 here, but since its design for TDP like 65, is it even possible to make it work with Ryzen 9 3900x which is 105 TDP?

Or maybe L9 as CPU cooler, and additional Noctua slim fan on the bottom of the case will be better/less noisy then C7?

I will apprieciate your suggestions, opinions and help! Greetings!

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
There are various ways to use an A9x14 fan with the C7 heatsink. I'd look into doing that.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
the weird noise you're experiencing is air turbulence from the fan being too close to the side panel.

look up if your motherboard is compatible with the Black Ridge cooler - it was designed by Dan himself being the best 48mm cooler there is. otherwise get an ID cooling IS-47K (it's a copycat that comes out later with better motherboard & RAM compatibility)

CHOSEN.KA

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 2, 2021
the weird noise you're experiencing is air turbulence from the fan being too close to the side panel.

look up if your motherboard is compatible with the Black Ridge cooler - it was designed by Dan himself being the best 48mm cooler there is. otherwise get an ID cooling IS-47K (it's a copycat that comes out later with better motherboard & RAM compatibility)
I've read that Black Ridge is making "resonance box" out of the case. As I understand it's just a ''myth''? :)

Moustache

Caliper Novice
Mar 23, 2021
So there was a thread on reddit I think where someone noted using the NF-A12X15 with the Black Ridge mean that the fan blades passed very close the the pre-existing 92mm fan mounts, this was causing additional fan noise due to turbulent flow. Their solution was to 3D print a 1.75mm duct/spacer that stood the fan off the bottom of the cooler, which reduced the noise output, equally you could try something similar between the edge of the case and the fan currently in there. I wish I could find the link to the thread.

• Wow
Reactions: thelaughingman

DillThePill

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2021
Someone on Reddit cut up a soup cup as a makeshift duct. Maybe not your endgame solution but could be a good way to experiment.