Geeek A60 - Ryzen 9 (build advice)

esgee

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 13, 2019
hi All,

after a few years of not building my own pc and just buying off the shelf hardware I once again caught the bug this summer and I've been looking to build a new pc. my current laptop was up for replacement after 4 yrs and instead of going full laptop I decided to go partially desktop and a very slim mobile device for 'normal' usage.

I want to setup a machine that allows me to run my video/photo editing software as well as being decent at games. I will not be doing any overclocking.

what I currently have in mind
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
  • ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3
  • Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX (2x16Gb) (total of 32Gb)
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 SSD
  • Radeon 5700 XT
  • Seasonic Focus SGX 650W

chassis: Geeek A60 - I really want the Mjolnir https://thor-zone.com/mini-itx/ but unless I'm mistaken that's not out yet so the Geeek is a good intermediary alternative

some of the choices explained:
  • Ryzen 9 vs Ryzen 7 - both are good options... I chose the Ryzen 9 to avoid looking at the 9 for the next few months and upgrade in a few months ;-)
  • Radeon: I like some games but I don't need / want to pay the premium for Ray Tracing which is still in it's infancy
  • Mainboard: I need ASRock for the optical audio out on the main board.. for some reason Asus and others have it on their ATX but not on mITX form factor boards
  • SSD: a single M.2 is fine as it will only house applications and boot drive; all my data is stored on a FreeNAS so I can share between my pc's and store/backup my data centrally. it will also allow me to remove a few cables as I won't need the SATA cables to another SSD

main question I'm struggling with.

how do I cool this thing?
I was thinking to install in any case a 120 Slim Noctua (in black) in the bottom to get fresh air and pump it into the case

Cpu Cooler: the case has 75mm clearance and the Ryzen 9 3900x has a TDP of 105W
  • I like the bequiet! Shadow Rock LP
    • 75,4 mm high --> so it could fit, but it will be too tight? will that even work (the side is perforated so it would get access to air but I don't think the flow would be good). I don't think this will work, which makes me sad as I love the look of the bequiet cpu coolers
    • 130 W TDP --> should be enough for the Ryzen?
  • Scythe Big Shuriken 3
    • 69 mm high --> so should fit
    • TDP ? can it handle the 3900x?
  • Cryonic C7 (copper or graphene)
    • 47mm high (with 15mm fan included)
    • TDP 115W (cu) or 125w(g)
I strongly dislike the look of the C7 fan, so I could add a 3D printed fan adapter and replace the stock fan with a bequiet silent wings 3 120mm high-speed (and hopefully upgrade cooling capability). This would result in approx. 60mm height and as the fan is oversized for the heatsink it would maybe help cooling some of the other motherboard components? if I'd do this I would go for the graphene C7 for the "all black" look​

• I considered the Noctua L9i but I don't think this can handle the cpu?

any other ones that could fit the bill?

And if it’s aircooled I would add 2 bequiet high speed 120mm’s blowing hot air out the top

Last cooling option is AIO but… that terrifies me frankly…. I’ve never installed an AIO before…
  • bequiet! Silent Loop 240mm
  • Nzxt. Kraken X52

I'm looking for something that looks nice/understated and is reasonably quiet

sorry for the long read.

tl;dr: I'm looking for a cooling solution for Geeek a60 and Ryzen 9 3900x that is understated and reasonably quiet

any and all help/advice would be appreciated

thank you!

S.

Last edited:

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
For air cooling, there's no better option that fresh air ducting. I did this in my a50 (very similar case). LMK if you have questions. I have no doubt that this setup could handle a gently undervolted Ryzen 9, or a medium overclocked i5-i7.