Cryorig C7 cu vs Black Ridge, which one is better?

geforce6200

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
I heard of Black Ridge needs to be configured to push air to the motherboard in order to get the best result (i.e. in this case it will be the same as how Cryorig C7 cu worsk, right?). I wonder in the best configuration for each of those two, which is better? Thanks.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I heard of Black Ridge needs to be configured to push air to the motherboard in order to get the best result (i.e. in this case it will be the same as how Cryorig C7 cu worsk, right?). I wonder in the best configuration for each of those two, which is better? Thanks.

if your case is about 66mm tall, you have no choice but to use a BlackRidge [ 120mm- pull ] .

if your case is about 70mm tall, difference between CryOrig C7 graphene and BlackRidge [ 120mm- pull ] ,is near identical.

this occurs because C7 graphene requires changing its original fan, to a Noctua model, in order to work correctly.

please note that " pull " orientation requires VLP Ram.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

geforce6200

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
if your case is about 67mm tall, you have no choice but to use a BlackRidge [ 120mm- pull ] .

if your case is about 71mm tall, performance between CryOrig C7 graphene and BlackRidge [ 120mm- pull ] ,is near identical.

this occurs because C7 graphene requires changing its original fan, to a Noctua model, in order to work correctly.

please note that " pull " orientation requires VLP Ram.
Thank you for your reply. I'm using Dan case, so it's limited to 48 mm I think. So I wonder what "pull" actually means. Also why there are two different suggests given different height limits?

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I'm using Dan case, so it's limited to 48 mm I think. So I wonder what "pull" actually means.

push means fan on top of heatsink, farthest from motherboard.

pull means fan under heatsink, closest to motherboard.

why there are two different suggests given different height limits?

because the Noctua fan you have to replace with, in order to get a CryOrig C7 graphene working correctly, is taller than its original C7 fan.

geforce6200

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
push means fan on top of heatsink, farthest from motherboard.

pull means fan under heatsink, closest to motherboard.

because the Noctua fan you have to replace with, in order to get a CryOrig C7 graphene working correctly, is taller than its original C7 fan.
I see. So if both of them has a stock fan, they are roughly the same?

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I see. So if both of them has a stock fan, they are roughly the same?

no.

if you use the CryOrig C7 original fan, it won't work correctly, & performance will be bad.

if your case is about 70mm tall, difference between CryOrig C7 graphene and BlackRidge [ 120mm- pull ] ,is near identical. this assumes you're replacing its original fan with a Noctua fan.

also, you have to convert measurements.

meaning 66mm tall Zaber Sentry - height of its motherboard [ 18mm ] = 48mm cooler clearance.

which is a 1mm airgap.

that's bad, you need a bigger airgap.

Last edited:

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Looks like they perform identical, but Black Ridge is quieter (even with stock fan):
I'm using Dan case, so it's limited to 48 mm I think. So I wonder what "pull" actually means.
Pull means fan is pulling air through heatsink

Last edited:

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
IMO, the original C7 fan is completely unacceptable.

period.

however, i'll note that in " pull " ,you would also be replacing the BlackRidge original fan, with a 120mm fan.

and VLP Ram is then required.

Last edited:

geforce6200

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
Looks like they perform the same, but Black Ridge is quieter (even with stock fan):
thanks a lot for providing me this, it's really helpful!

geforce6200

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
IMO, the original C7 fan is completely unacceptable.

period.

however, i'll note that in " pull " ,you would also be replacing the BlackRidge original fan, with a 120mm fan.

and VLP Ram is then required.
I heard of C7's fan is louder, is that the reason why you don't like it?

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I heard of C7's fan is louder, is that the reason why you don't like it?

when most people calculate fan performance, noise is part of that calculation.

if your case has 48mm cooler clearance, and a 1mm airgap, it will be extremely noisy.

so my measurements include the correct airgap.

if you're using a SkyReach case, to get near-identical performance with a BlackRidge, your sidepanels need to be raised about 1mm.

if you're using a SkyReach case, to get near-identical performance with a CryOrig C7 graphene, your sidepanels need to be raised about 7mm.

see youtube video, timestamp at 1:08:19 ,where a Noctua fan is used to replace its original fan :

Last edited:

geforce6200

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
when most people calculate fan performance, noise is part of that calculation.

if your case has 48mm cooler clearance, and a 1mm airgap, it will be extremely noisy.

so my measurements include the correct airgap.

if you're using a SkyReach case, to get near-identical performance with a BlackRidge, your sidepanels need to be raised about 3mm.

if you're using a SkyReach case, to get near-identical performance with a CryOrig C7 graphene, your sidepanels need to be raised about 7mm.

see youtube video, timestamp at 1:08:19 ,where a Noctua fan is used to replace its original fan :

I see. Thanks you very much for providing me this video.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I see. Thanks you very much for providing me this video.

please remember to include at least a 3/4 mm airgap, in order for your cooler to work properly, in addition to the case's panel clearance.

so if you had a 48mm tall cooler, theoretically you could fit it in a case, with 48mm clearance, but it would be rubbing up against your panel.

the math says : 48mm clearance - 3/4mm airgap = 45/44mm cooler compatible.

EDIT : according to Josh | NFC 's youtube channel, you can fit a BlackRidge cooler with a SkyReach case, if sidepanels are raised 1mm. so i've edited my posts with corrected measurements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Choidebu

geforce6200

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
please remember to include at least a 3/4 mm airgap, in order for your cooler to work properly, in addition to the case's panel clearance.

so if you had a 48mm tall cooler, theoretically you could fit it in a case, with 48mm clearance, but it would be rubbing up against your panel.

the math says : 48mm clearance - 3/4mm airgap = 45/44mm cooler compatible.

EDIT : according to Josh | NFC 's youtube channel, you can fit a BlackRidge cooler with a SkyReach case, if sidepanels are raised 1mm. so i've edited my posts with corrected measurements.
Oh, thanks for the update!