Jul 14, 2018
Hot damn CM is going in balls' deep!

Product page is up and someone forgot to check SFX-L dimensions LOL

EDIT: adding official r/coolermaster post of the virtual event:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm amazed but I'm also finding it hard to find a use case. Even my 800W SFX-L has been running well below 50% duty because I never got around to using dual GPUs. Not that we can't stuff 1000W of stuff inside an SFF case, it would become an issue getting all that heat out without it becoming large.

Though maybe this isn't to sell to SFF fans, but to replace ATX PSUs now that we have 400-1300W range in SFX(L).

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I am not sure if these 2 units are meant to replace ATX PSUs. If they are meant to be used in an ATX case, then the stock cables will have to be longer. And they will be more expensive than their ATX counterpart (same wattage). Then, I do not see any useful advantage at all.

Not only is this SFX 1100W and 1300W puzzling, I find CM releasing 1600W and 2000W ATX PSUs equally puzzling.
Now, SLI/CF are basically dead. How would one need so much power?
Take a look at the M2000 pic below. Maybe it is meant for mining? I once used an 1000W PSU to play with TEC water cooling years ago. I hope this is not an indication of a coming resurgence of peltiers.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Well, with the use of GAN FETs it´s possible to increase a lot the power density of PSU´s, so it´s probably what they are doing. GAN FET As I understand (little) also work at such high frecucny that output ripple is lower, so output capacitance is not needed to be that high so there is further size advantage there.

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
I am very interested in both the SFX and SFX L, hope it performs. I have a suspicion my SF750 is causing my 6900xt to whine

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
If rumors are true (I hope not) the RTX4090 will be a 450W to 550W card.

Maybe Coolermaster already knows more than we do... 😅
If so, having a strong enough PSU will be the smallest problem. Cooling it will be more problematic than powering it. Will we see an industry-first's 4-slot design? Rumor has it that it will use Samsung 5nm. If so, number of cuda cores will be increased >70% and performance of a 4090 might be just double that of a 3090.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
If so, having a strong enough PSU will be the smallest problem. Cooling it will be more problematic than powering it. Will we see an industry-first's 4-slot design?

True, cooling a 5nm chip with that wattage will be really challenging and certainly not SFF friendly.

Maybe Captains Workspace wasn't so wrong after all... Let's wait and see... 😄

BTW, does someone know who's the OEM for those Coolermaster PSUs?

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
True, cooling a 5nm chip with that wattage will be really challenging and certainly not SFF friendly.

Maybe Captains Workspace wasn't so wrong after all... Let's wait and see... 😄

BTW, does someone know who's the OEM for those Coolermaster PSUs?
Gospower makes the current V ATX and V SFX PSUs so maybe CM will use them again.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
I'm amazed but I'm also finding it hard to find a use case. Even my 800W SFX-L has been running well below 50% duty because I never got around to using dual GPUs. Not that we can't stuff 1000W of stuff inside an SFF case, it would become an issue getting all that heat out without it becoming large.

Though maybe this isn't to sell to SFF fans, but to replace ATX PSUs now that we have 400-1300W range in SFX(L).
My first thought would be a fully air cooled Threadripper render box/ ai machine in a Sliger cerberus X with 3 or 4 blower gpus depending on the wattage. Mounting the power supply into the back position so its over the mother board will give it 75mm off air cooler room, enough for a 2U cpu cooler like the Dynatron A26.

Otherwise your limited to AIOs or worse a 1U cooler. Im actually really wanting the V1300 but with no pictures of how many PCI and EPS connectors there are im realistically going to have to wait for the Sliger Cerberus X2 or the CX2 CnC case.