Enclosure Coolermaster NR200

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Is anyone planning to install a RTX 3080 FE in the NR200P? While it looks like it will fit, are there any concerns about thermals, especially with air cooling and the glass panel?

The 3080 FE should actually work better in the NR200 than it would in most other SFF cases as it's not sandwich layout - the fans should pull air through the heatsinks well and be able to exhaust it through on the one side without being overly blocked by a PSU like they would be otherwise. (Assuming you mount the PSU at the front and have clean cable management)

Hopefully this isn't too rough - just drafted it up quickly.

Last edited:

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Just an update to the above with some helpful renders and animations from Ali @ Optimum Tech:

Seems that in terms of the founders edition cards, the NR200P may be one of the safer SFF cases to buy if you're getting one - even if it's on the larger end of SFF.

Reactions: maveric

viirgon

What's an ITX?
New User
Sep 5, 2020

The 3080 FE should actually work better in the NR200 than it would in most other SFF cases as it's not sandwich layout - the fans should pull air through the heatsinks well and be able to exhaust it through on the one side without being overly blocked by a PSU like they would be otherwise. (Assuming you mount the PSU at the front and have clean cable management)

Hopefully this isn't too rough - just drafted it up quickly.
While I think this is all good for the GPU, it looks like the main source of cool air for the mobo/CPU is from the side panel either by negative pressure or via active intake fans mounted on the side panel (assuming low profile CPU cooler and not a tower cooler heatsink). Reversing the back exhaust fan to be intake fan seems problematic as it could be recirculating warm air from the GPU and intake air will be partially sucked out by the top rear exhaust fan.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Don't mean to derail the current 30-series chat—but wanted to cross-post this person's NR200 custom loop, which is exhaustively documented.

I saw a lot of my own frustrations in the post, and thought it would be a good resource for anyone with the intention of water-cooling.
Thanks for sharing that, really valuable information (though it does have some holes, like saying "a hammer fixed that" without explaining further :eek: ). I'm planning to get one of these, move my current EK PE 240mm to the bottom of the case (with slim fans) and replace the current 120mm rad I have with a 280 in the side. Also replacing my current EK pump/res combo with an Eisbaer LT Solo, possibly sticking a second Alphacool DC-LT 2600 somewhere else in the loop for some increased pressure. Getting the EK rotary terminal is definitely great advice, as is just seeing how it all comes together. I also now have two seemingly good options for getting some QDCs in there, which is greatly appreciated. I'll also definitely need to plan this out well to figure out what new fittings I need to get - the last time around I had to order new fittings twice, which caused me quite the delay. Do people draw this out on graph paper or make scale-accurate 3D models to figure this out? Or do they just have a million different fittings lying around?

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
I'll also definitely need to plan this out well to figure out what new fittings I need to get - the last time around I had to order new fittings twice, which caused me quite the delay. Do people draw this out on graph paper or make scale-accurate 3D models to figure this out? Or do they just have a million different fittings lying around?

I ended up in the same boat when doing my original DA2 loop—ordered one set of fittings, and quickly realized it just wasn't going to work (an intersection of the actual fitting size, the difficulty of using compression fittings with ZMT, and general quality problems). I had to re-order everything, and invest in quite a few 90-degree options, as well as three pairs of QDCs.

Some folx are able to draft stuff in 3D, but the best I could do was some measurements, and some diagramming (packing, loop order).

If you have more questions about loop planning or the NR200, specifically, let me know.

(Psst! Keep an eye on this thread for a great alternative to Alphacool's DC-LT options!)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I ended up in the same boat when doing my original DA2 loop—ordered one set of fittings, and quickly realized it just wasn't going to work (an intersection of the actual fitting size, the difficulty of using compression fittings with ZMT, and general quality problems). I had to re-order everything, and invest in quite a few 90-degree options, as well as three pairs of QDCs.

Some folx are able to draft stuff in 3D, but the best I could do was some measurements, and some diagramming (packing, loop order).

If you have more questions about loop planning or the NR200, specifically, let me know.

(Psst! Keep an eye on this thread for a great alternative to Alphacool's DC-LT options!)
Thanks for the tip about the pump/block! I've been following the Freeflo, but that project seems to have stalled a bit (probably too much else to do for its creators). This looks much closer to becoming a reality - if I had spotted it while beta orders were open, I would have gone for one, though I guess it'll be good to get whatever tweaks are made after beta testing included from the get-go. Of course with this I'd have to start researching good, quiet DDC pumps, but that can't be that hard, and the total price would likely be cheaper than the LT Solo + DC-LT + Eisstation 40 res/top.

I'll make sure to ask if I have any questions, for now I need to start planning the loop. It'll mostly stay theoretical for a while yet, as I'll be waiting for Zen 3 CPUs and RDNA 2 to arrive before deciding on anything.

It's also great to hear I'm not the only one who has struggled with compression fittings and ZMT tubing! A couple of my fittings still have something like 1mm of threads still visible simply because tightening them further isn't possible. I'm considering going back to barbs this time around, as I have a bunch of those lying around - I switched to compression mainly for peace of mind + to not have to deal with hose clamps, but I'm reconsidering that decision - getting some worm gear hose clamps might be the best solution still.

Are you happy with your QDCs, by the way? It certainly looks like they fit decently on your end. I would want my GPU removable too, just for the sake of troubleshooting, future upgrades, etc., - with your loop, would there be room for another QDC somewhere along the line connecting the GPU to the bottom rad? Or would it interfere with side panels or something else? I'm thinking one of those 90° ones could fit on the bottom rad, though I guess the connecting part might interfere with the fans, GPU or something. Given that I want a 280 I'd also likely need to loop the second tube from my GPU all the way around to the front of the case, which raises the question of reordering the loop to avoid overlong tubing. I've sketched out two different loop orders, most likely I'll have to figure out which works the best when I have the parts on hand. And, of course, getting 5 QDCs (I want a spare for filling/draining and the like) is going to cost a pretty penny.

Oh, and how much room for tubing is there between your side rad and the PSU? Would there be room for 25mm fans and a 30mm rad with ZMT tubing still squeezing past?

Last edited:

Mopar63

Caliper Novice
Jul 13, 2019
Okay got my NR200 and now desperately regret not waiting and buying the QBX. The NR200 is a WAY better case, even after some modding on the QBX.

As for cooler choices I suggest watching some of the videos done by Machines & More, he did a fairly extensive deep dive on the NR200 over 6 videos. For cooler choices I think this part has some awesome info.

Reactions: xumix

jamescarter117

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

Have anyone try to fit a fullsize mATX motherboard and ATX PSU into this case? I heard that it is possible with modding the structure.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
I'm planning on getting this case and using a (24.4x17.4) matx board and stuffing 2 gpus in it.
The top gpu slots normally and the bottom gpu mounted using a riser vertically.
The 4 slot matx board should fit, but I haven't actually seen any pics of 4 pci slots boards mounted.

Any reason this setup wouldn't fit?

saxovtsmike

Chassis Packer
Feb 25, 2020
Got mine 2day from Amazon.de, Sadly a Black 200p, but it was the first chance to get one for a propper price (104€), white nr200p where listet at aroud 150€.
Quick Testfit of my Freezer 33 Esports edition, on Z390 i Strix. Without the CPU but ontop of the plastic socket cover. Cooler fits with Glass Panel too.
Fan positioning is more of a pita, as the original fan is 27mm, so it won´t fit between VRM heatsink and Cooler, and by the looks of it, on the normal mounting position it does not clear my rams.
Was just a testfit, to run the System before going full custom loop again, which will use a external mounted MoRa2 with 4x180mm Fans.
Problem now is what WC´d GPU can fit into this case ? My actual 1080 ti Gaming X might fit with the Stock Aircooler, but stands out about 2cm with the EK waterblock mounted.

Waterrmelonn

Efficiency Noob
Aug 5, 2020
Would a Bequiet Pure Rock 2 fit in this case? The website lists 155mm, but some reviewers measure it as 158.8mm. Also looking for other CPU cooler choices which would fit on a ASROCK b550m its/ac.

spiral

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
I'm pretty sure the marginals on cooler height depends if you use the glass or vented panel. And i guess you can flex the vented panel a bit to make stuff fit.

spyda_mayn

Efficiency Noob
Apr 14, 2020
Does anyone have any ideas of how to properly cool the cpu with a vertical gpu on this? Gamers Nexus has me worried about the bottom radiator issues.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Does anyone have any ideas of how to properly cool the cpu with a vertical gpu on this? Gamers Nexus has me worried about the bottom radiator issues.
A simple custom loop with a tiny res above the CPU should do the trick. Alphacool Solo LT or Aquanaut DDC pump+block combos, whatever rad you want in the bottom, and something like a flow indicator with the rotor removed or just a T-block with an extension sticking up from it to serve as a bubble-catching reservoir at the top. More expensive, obviously, but also more flexible.

Something like the new Be Quiet Pure Loops with the decoupled pump should also work well - the most important part is that the pump isn't at the top of the loop.

Reactions: spyda_mayn

Mopar63

Caliper Novice
Jul 13, 2019

I am not sure how much I would let this scare you. I know a LOT of builds with the system not properly built, based on this video, that years later are still doing fine. Also I think I read somewhere that Cooler Master is saying their dual chamber pump helps with this issue and results in it having minimal effects.

Reactions: spyda_mayn