[Completed] New Sliger SM550 Build Sanity Check

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
Edit:

Its all done! Gallery here:

All in all a really fun build, not too much trouble but I can't believe it all fit!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making the jump from a Thermaltake Core V1 over to a Sliger SM550....which turned into a jump from Intel to AMD so pretty much an entirely new build aside from my current GPU ?

Anyway I just wanted a bit of a sanity check on parts here to make sure there are no critical oversights or adjustments you would suggest on my journey to sub 10 liters!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LhXWcq

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card (Already Owned)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap 63.27 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.Black.swap 33.84 CFM 92 mm Fan
Custom: White Sliger SM550 + AIO

And a couple questions:
  1. Went with the Chromax Noctuas but I am not sure how much they will really show since both will be at the bottom of the case. Would I be better off with the OG Noctua (brown) line?
  2. Any idea on the custom cable lengths I would want here if I went that route? I know its not required but a nice to have.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Making the jump from a Thermaltake Core V1 over to a Sliger SM550....which turned into a jump from Intel to AMD so pretty much an entirely new build aside from my current GPU ?

Anyway I just wanted a bit of a sanity check on parts here to make sure there are no critical oversights or adjustments you would suggest on my journey to sub 10 liters!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gqVnp8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card (Already Owned)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM chromax.Black.swap 46.44 CFM 92 mm Fan
Custom: White Sliger SM550 + AIO

And a couple questions:
  1. Went with the Chromax Noctuas but I am not sure how much they will really show since both will be at the bottom of the case. Would I be better off with the OG Noctua (brown) line?
  2. Any idea on the custom cable lengths I would want here if I went that route? I know its not required but a nice to have.

Thanks everyone!
No need to customed length PSU cable, just make sure you orientate properlly your Asetek 645LT.
You can find advice on how to assembly Asetek in SM550 on my SM550 thread :
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sliger-sm550-compact-quiet-gaming-htpc.11928/
Hope it will be useful.

For bottom fan, better go on NF-S12A as bottom mesh/grid is not restricted on airflow.
Avoid F12 as case fan...it's definitely noisier and less effective as S12 (as case fan with low airflow restriction).

All fans setup as exhaust to bottom.

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
No need to customed length PSU cable, just make sure you orientate properlly your Asetek 645LT.
You can find advice on how to assembly Asetek in SM550 on my SM550 thread :
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sliger-sm550-compact-quiet-gaming-htpc.11928/
Hope it will be useful.

For bottom fan, better go on NF-S12A as bottom mesh/grid is not restricted on airflow.
Avoid F12 as case fan...it's definitely noisier and less effective as S12 (as case fan with low airflow restriction).

All fans setup as exhaust to bottom.
thanks for the advice! Went through your thread a few days ago, love all the detail.

Seems the price of the 3800x dropped to within $30 of the 3700x so I went ahead and grabbed that now for a binned silicon.

3800x has a much higher TDP but I think I should be fine but will set a PPT limit if its getting too hot.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
thanks for the advice! Went through your thread a few days ago, love all the detail.

Seems the price of the 3800x dropped to within $30 of the 3700x so I went ahead and grabbed that now for a binned silicon.

3800x has a much higher TDP but I think I should be fine but will set a PPT limit if its getting too hot.
Thanks !
Despite higher « official » tdp 3800x is using as much power as 3700x. In all tests (including my personal experience with 3800x) i’ve read 3800x and 3700x are pretty similar to cool.
Only 3900x and 3950x are significantly harder to cool.

Reactions: Wolfe1

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
Much appreciated, I was seeing similar information out there and at that price it just made sense for that higher base clock.

@MarcParis A few questions for you:
  • So you would suggest the NF-S12A rather than the NF-A12x25? Not that I can find that one in stock anyway for chromax
  • The NF-A9 is a good choice for the radiator or is there a better choice you would have in mind?
Thanks!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Much appreciated, I was seeing similar information out there and at that price it just made sense for that higher base clock.

@MarcParis A few questions for you:
  • So you would suggest the NF-S12A rather than the NF-A12x25? Not that I can find that one in stock anyway for chromax
  • The NF-A9 is a good choice for the radiator or is there a better choice you would have in mind?
Thanks!
For Noctua fan, NF-A12x25 is the rolls/royce, best overall 120mm fan...but it has a flaw (not for me)...it's only available in brown (no black version, yet).
However for pure Sliger SM 550 use (as bottom exhaust, below motherboard), you absolute don't need performance of NF-A12x25..;)
Basically if you care of black, go for NF-S12A chromax, if not, go for NF-A12x25..:D

In terms of slim 92mm fan, you also have new (2019) Cryorig QT-90. Seems to have better performance of Noctua but also louder.
Issue for QT-90 is also its height : 15mm (vs 14mm for Noctua). As we need to add a grid on top of the fan, this could be a deal breaker as screw will be too short (fitted for 15mm total length, ie screw of 20mm) or too long (for screw for 20mm).
To be short as safest choice, go for noctua NF-A09x14 chromax..:) (good news is that chromax version is the most beefy one reaching 2500rpm)

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
For Noctua fan, NF-A12x25 is the rolls/royce, best overall 120mm fan...but it has a flaw (not for me)...it's only available in brown (no black version, yet).
However for pure Sliger SM 550 use (as bottom exhaust, below motherboard), you absolute don't need performance of NF-A12x25..;)
Basically if you care of black, go for NF-S12A chromax, if not, go for NF-A12x25..:D

In terms of slim 92mm fan, you also have new (2019) Cryorig QT-90. Seems to have better performance of Noctua but also louder.
Issue for QT-90 is also its height : 15mm (vs 14mm for Noctua). As we need to add a grid on top of the fan, this could be a deal breaker as screw will be too short (fitted for 15mm total length, ie screw of 20mm) or too long (for screw for 20mm).
To be short as safest choice, go for noctua NF-A09x14 chromax..:) (good news is that chromax version is the most beefy one reaching 2500rpm)
Sounds like a plan! Updated my parts list. Can't wait till after the holidays to build!

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
awe yeah, everythings coming together.

Everything ordered. Overpaid a bit on the motherboard but im glad I grabbed it when I did since prices on Amazon (the only in stock I can find) are insane.

Everything should arrive by the time im back from the holidays I hope.

Reactions: MarcParis

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
Alright its all built!

Loving it so far though that 3800x is a bit of a heater ?

Full gallery here:

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Alright its all built!

Loving it so far though that 3800x is a bit of a heater ?

Full gallery here:
Nice build (especially cats..;)) however I'm a bit ashamed...you didn't follow my guidance on Asetek 645LT installation in order to free maximum space in GPU compartment.;)

Wolfe1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
Nice build (especially cats..;)) however I'm a bit ashamed...you didn't follow my guidance on Asetek 645LT installation in order to free maximum space in GPU compartment.;)
Haha I Had forgotten until I got to installing my GPU and was like ‘How the hell did MarcParis fit that MSI card in here. Luckily the fit on the EVGA card seems just right so im ok with it.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Haha I Had forgotten until I got to installing my GPU and was like ‘How the hell did MarcParis fit that MSI card in here. Luckily the fit on the EVGA card seems just right so im ok with it.
:D
It will be a potential upgrade for next dissambly/assembly..:D