Skyreach 4 Mini Gaming Build

Ertugrul

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Apr 23, 2020
Hey guys I'm totally new to the whole SFFPC thing and honestly a total noob in building PC's in general. My first (and only) build was back in 2015 and I'm still rocking it.

Here is what it was:
  • Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
  • i3-4170
  • Gigabyte H81M S2PV
  • Kingston Hyper Fury 2x4Gb
  • 1 TB Western Digital HDD
  • 128 GB SSD
So basically a coworker showed me his S4 mini and I thought it was the coolest thing as a PC build. Couple nights ago I saw that the S4 mini in black was for sale so I decided to take the plunge and build as I go on. I'm planning on building it out next year but want to see what options I have so I can start acquiring parts so the costs are spread out.

This will be mainly a gaming build (not interested in VR if that helps) but I am a developer by trade so I would like to do dev work. I am planning on buying two 1440p 144Hz monitors as well. I have no clue as to what GPU and CPU would be the best for what I'm looking as I was never "in" with the techy stuff (my cousin told me what to buy for my first one).

All in all I'm looking for a gaming PC that I can dev on. I want to be able to game in 1440P 144Hz.

Given the size restrictions what should I be looking for without overheating things?

Don't care whether there's an external brick or brick-less (if that helps with anything).

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
Hello and welcome!

Unfortunately, I cannot advise from a place of experience specifically for building in a S4 mini. However, you may find this link useful: Build examples

Regarding your desired resolution and frame rate, I suspect that's going to depend heavily on the titles you're playing with their respective quality settings. Your next limitation will be gpu size restrictions due to the form factor. Your psu solution will be affected by the size of the gpu you choose. Irrespective of your cpu/gpu choices, you'll probably want to do some research on the process of undervolting. A Ryzen 3600 and Zotac 2070 super mini I would hazard to guess should get you most of the way there, especially in e-sports titles - not certain about more demanding titles.

Fear not - you've come to the right place! There are many users here with a wealth of experience that will eventually chime in. Also utilize the search function within this forum to find many build logs using the S4 mini.

seppola

Trash Compacter
Jan 1, 2020
the build examples linked above are spot on. If you play games like CS:GO, Overwatch, DOOM eternal, Destiny 2, any battle royal, then Ryzen 3600 and a 2060super or 2070 will do the trick, depending on the game you may not be able to max it constantly at 144 @ 1440p but close enough.