Skyreach S4M - Brickless minimalist build

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
This is an attempt at a super quiet developer purposed desktop that runs both macOS (Hackintosh) and Windows 10, is brick less and offers "a lot" of CPU power. I also wanted to take a stab at cabling / sleeving and trying to see how minimalist I could make the overall cabling in the system.

Components:
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT (2x16GB)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
PSU: HDPLEX 160W AC-DC & HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX
Case: S4M Skyreach
Disks: 1 x Samsung 951 NVME 256GB, 2 x Samsung 840 SSD 512GB SATA
GPU: MSI Aero RX 560 (Not in use but works in the system)
WiFi: Macbook Air BCM94360CS2 (and an NGFF adapter - solely for the Hackintosh part)

I had this idea about the cabling/sleeving being coloured as veins and arteries and running "around" the system in a colouring that would match said veins and arteries; hence the Lava-Orange and Riviera-Blue sleeving from MDPC which I thought might look pretty cool. Dont ask about the green for fan and power-button cabling, that was just a sample in the package from MDPC so I wanted to use that for something :)
I also wanted to avoid any connectors on the wires if that makes sense, so I put some effort into hiding that from the AC-DC unit both for input and output.

Inspired by the awesome mod from @MODZERO with the S4M Classic I wanted to see if I could do something similar as he had did for the SATA data and power connections. I found some 10cm and 20cm SATA cables from Delock which fitted fairly well and decided to go for only 2 wires for the SATA power (ground and 5V) as that would make it somewhat cleaner and still functional for SATA SSD drives.
The SSDs and AC-DC unit (Just the part that shows from the side of the S4M) I covered in matt black vinyl to get a cleaner look.

Initially I had the RX 560 in the build to make sleep/wake functional in a Hackintosh build as I started this build on a Z270 platform. But after learning that the UHD 630 iGPU in the latest coffee lake CPUs worked just as well with a hackintosh build I returned the Kaby lake CPU and motherboard in exchange for what's in the components section above. I dont need the acceleration from an RX 560 so currently its not in the build but that might change.

Im still considering to avoid the cable combs and just glue the sleeves together for a cleaner look and im also waiting for the S4M front-panel in zebra wood which should get out of customs in the next few days.

Last edited:

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
How much does it cost to get all the equipment needed to custom cable sleeve a system like this? It seems like a fun skill to learn but I have a number in my head ... if it costs more than around $75 total to do the sleeving ... I'll probably pass.

Reactions: doomsdaydexter

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Awesome job, @rsjo !

How much does it cost to get all the equipment needed to custom cable sleeve a system like this? It seems like a fun skill to learn but I have a number in my head ... if it costs more than around $75 total to do the sleeving ... I'll probably pass.

Its about $125 for everything you need to do a single color MINI from MDPC from Mod-One.com. They are running a spring sale though so check it out.

Ater you have your tools it's about 20$ shipped for sleeve, pins, and shrink for a SFF PC.

Good luck!

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
DAYUM

This makes me want to rip open my Sentry and make my own cables pay for someone else to make cables for me.

Reactions: doomsdaydexter

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
Looks awesome!

What did you do with the yellow ground wire from the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC?

That is not wired up as it's not going to be wired either way due to the C8 connector not having any ground. I hope that's fine but to be honest I dont have any knowledge in this area, I just read that it should be OK to do.

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016

Those numbers from Josh is very close to what I spend on this. I already had the crimper, Knippex stripper, pliers etc. though, but for sleeving, SATA connectors, terminals, wire etc. I spend €70 on what you see in those pictures.
I did this because I think it's fun and challenging, otherwise it makes little sense to spend time and money on it. But I guess that goes for most of the people and posts in here; passion and interests :)

theMashine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
nice build!!! i have the same case, i have a problem iwth my connector... i wanted to use c13 but the cutout only fits for a round one or a c8 ...
whe did u put the yellow calbe for grounding on the c8 plug??

what are the difference between c8 and c13 ? is c13 for more voltage???