Cheapest copy of Windows?

fjbruening

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Hi,

Not sure if this belongs here, but please delete if it doesn't.

I'm getting my s4 tomorrow, and am looking for a key for Win10. I'm finding sites like Kinguin that have a key to purchase for 27 bucks.

Are these legit? If not, where can I buy a legit key for Win10 as cheaply as possible?

TIA
Francis

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just chiming in real quick to remind folks that - while we enthusiastically encourage deal-hunting - we do not encourage or allow discussion of anything not completely above board. As such, we ask that everyone refrain from referencing any vendor or seller offering unrealistically low pricing for software products, as well as (obviously) any illegal downloads of any kind.

Reactions: ricochet

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I have a friend who is a MS employee. They can get a Win10Pro key for $30 (retail ~200). MS employees are specifically warned not to resell items purchased at a discount from the company store, however.

Reactions: Phuncz and ricochet

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Also remember OEM keys are cheaper, but you can't use the same key for a new computer, so they are good for one offs but less so if you rebuild your PC regularly (changing out the motherboard often)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Also remember OEM keys are cheaper, but you can't use the same key for a new computer, so they are good for one offs but less so if you rebuild your PC regularly (changing out the motherboard often)

I don't believe there is a differentiation between Pro and Home on this feature, but beginning with the Anniversary Update for Windows 10, the product key was linked to your Windows Live account if you were signed into you account on your computer.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I don't believe there is a differentiation between Pro and Home on this feature, but beginning with the Anniversary Update for Windows 10, the product key was linked to your Windows Live account if you were signed into you account on your computer.
I was under the impression Windows 10 was tied to your Windows Live account from the start.
Nevertheless, Windows keys have been keyed to your hardware configuration since Windows XP, so reusing an activation key often requires a call to tech support since they have to deauthorize the old machine and authorize the new one, but it takes some convincing to get them to do that for an OEM key (and that's if the motherboard was the only thing you changed and you can convince them it was a replacement for a broken/worn out one)

Welp, as far as I know, they are all VOL keys.. so yeah, kinda shady for sure. :p
Not sure if that's illegal, but it's definitely against the terms of service.

Reactions: ricochet

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I was under the impression Windows 10 was tied to your Windows Live account from the start.
Since launch, Windows 10 'keys' (more on that later) are either tied to an MS account, if you are signed in with one, and/or a hash of the hardware IDs of key components (drive(s), GPU, CPU, motherboard) if not. or more accurately, the key is linked to the hash, and the hash optionally linked to an MS account.
The upshot of this is, once you have installed and activated Windows on a system, any subsequent installs on the same machine will activate automatically without you ever entering a key again. This also applies if you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8: even though you are not issued a new 'key', the hash is still generated and Windows will still activate in the same way. Effectively, a Windows 'key' is now a one-time device you use for the very first install, and can then be discarded.
The rub is that if you change too much hardware (simple component swaps are not an issue, but if you swap out the CPU and motherboard and drive all at once that is rightly considered a new system), you need to to the old call-MS-and-activate dance, but that's pretty painless. Or if you have a MS account, you can skip the phone call and just log in with that account, and you will activate and update the hash.
Unless you have an OEM key. The old loophole of buying an OEM key and abusing it by swapping components and reactivating endlessly is now closed.

VOL keys need to activate against a keyserver. If you're using them at home, that means running a cracked keyserver, so definitely in dodgy territory.

Reactions: Ceros_X

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Part of the reason I moved to Linux TBTH. I was already using open source only on Windows and most of my Steam games were available on Linux too.

The move was painless and I wouldn't go back to MS territory lol.

Reactions: Phuncz