Build / Prebuy advice needed

MeroVanq

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Hi all,

I need to either buy or build a new PC. My current MSI GS70 is coming to an end and I'm going to replace with a SFF and an iPad Pro.

Wanted to get some guidance, I have looked around online and the best I can see to buy is the Zotac Magnus EN980 due to be released shortly. Welcome any other options or more than happy to consider a build if I can get what I'd like from it or custom case/builder options.

Keys:

- SFF attractive case (ideally silver not black) - was thinking the Dan A4 but think this will be too long to wait for, ideally looking for something which looks like a Mac Mini or similar in aluminium, as small as practical for the build I'd like, but will be out in the living room given location so needs to pass the significant other test!
- Silent or extremely quiet
- Support to run 2 x 27" IPS monitors over DisplayPort at 2560x1440p 60fps (might change this to a LG34UM95 34" widescreen 21:9 so thunderbolt 2 would be useful). Also 1xHDMI would be useful

Graphics - I don't run any extreme games or VR currently but would like a good option here but not up to speed with all of the latest and greatest - would polaris be a better option for the size

Processor - I play Football Manager which is fairly processor intensive so would prefer an excellent option here but that can be cooled silent/quietly

HDD - I have an existing 500GB SATA-III SSD Samsung 840 Series which I am happy to use in the new build/purchase or get an M.2 if this helps

Memory - 16GB+ happy to see options for type

OS - Windows 8.1/10 already purchased

LAN & WIFI
Audio - I use a Bose Soundlink Mini 2 which either uses bluetooth or headphone in
Inputs - Use logitech wireless keyboard and mouse
USB - I use for charging devices so at least 2 ports

In terms of budget, it's not unlimited but in general if I see something that I like then I'd go for it so happy to see what's on the market or possible to build. I have a reasonable IT skill set but haven't done any custom PCs for about 10 years, not done non-standard cooling (liquid, heat rods etc).

All options/thoughts gratefully received.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-systems-s4-mini.96/ / http://nfc-systems.com/s4-mini/
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lz7-quiet-mini-gaming-cube-with-internal-sfx-psu.596/ / www.lazer3d.com

Both are small, tasteful and can house a very respectable build. If I hadn't been waiting for A4, I'd have thought very hard about one of these options. I'd suggest contacting the thread starters directly to see what they might be able to make happen.

Barring these options, and if you can live with integrated graphics, maybe consider an Iris Pro NUC?

MeroVanq

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Iris graphics won't work for the setup and use unfortunately else the NUCs look good.

The S4 could be an option, thought not sure on how quiet that would be, but will do some reading.

MeroVanq

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2016
Possibly looking at a Streacom DB4 and if that is suitable for what I'd like - quite like the look although is a bit bigger than I'd like but silent