GPU GPU's and free/g sync?

fjbruening

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Hi,

Not sure this is the right forum, but since I'm working on stuffing too much stuff in an S4, I thought I'd start here. Thanks to everyone who has given my some feedback in the S4 forum, it's been helpful in understanding all the tradeoffs involved in a project like this.

I've got an S4 (thanks Josh!) coming soon, and am finishing assembling all my hardware.

So far (pcpartspicker)

- i5/6600
- EVGA 1060 SC 6G
- GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 mobo
- 16G 3000 memory
- 250G M2 drive
- Pico 160 / 192W brick
- LG monitor (see below)

I'm looking for a good gaming rig that can also do most PC things well.

I'm interested in the following monitor - LG 27UD68-P, a 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync

I'm read about free/G sync, but have never experienced it.

Should I select a different GPU card if I want this monitor?
Should I focus on a gsync monitor if I go with Nvidia based cards?
Does free/g sync make a big difference in image quality?
Can I play egames (quake live) well with this setup?
Will I enjoy current FPS (Fallout / BF, etc.) if not at ultra?

And finally, can I comfortably power this box with the Pico 160? I know Josh loves the Pico, but pcpartspciker says this config is 279 TDP... I'm concerned I'm under powered...

TIA,
Francis

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm not sure, but I don't think nVIdia cards are G-Sync compatible. What that means is that if you're planning on going for the 1060 SC, then you'll probably want to pony up extra cash and get a G-Sync based monitor. So far as I know, there aren't any 480s that can run in the S4 mini which means FreeSync is off the table for the time being. That being said, there is a big Vega reveal at CES in three days and *HOPEFULLY* they'll reveal a new Nano card which could solve a lot of problems for your build.

The other thing I think it worth mentioning is that the 1060 doesn't really do 4K all that well across the board. While some titles will run acceptably at 4K, a lot of triple A titles will probably choke. If you're set on 4K, I would recommend going to the Gigabyte 1070 and getting a larger external brick and a higher wattage solution like the Dell 330. Alternatively you could move down to a 1440P monitor and crush most stuff with the 1060.

As far as running the 1060/6600 combo with the 192W pico solution, you should be fine. I'm pretty sure this is a standard setup that Josh recommends. If you run into problems, you can always undervolt a little to get back into reference range.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Should I select a different GPU card if I want this monitor?
Yes. You'll need to match the card to the monitor. FreeSync = AMD, G-Sync = nVidia. I know... Nobody like this.

Should I focus on a gsync monitor if I go with Nvidia based cards?[
Yes.

Does free/g sync make a big difference in image quality?

Big? In specific situations it helps smooth out the stuttering of frames between 30 and 60 fps.

Can I play egames (quake live) well with this setup?

Yes.

Will I enjoy current FPS (Fallout / BF, etc.) if not at ultra?

Yes, but not on 4K.

And finally, can I comfortably power this box with the Pico 160?

If Josh, said you can. Then you can!

The best monitor pairing for the GTX 1060 is probably the 1440P Asus Rog Swift.
It's G-Sync, and has a native resolution more inline with your GPU.
Here is a good article comparing FreeSync to G-Sync.

Last edited:
Reactions: fjbruening

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I own the 1440P ASUS RoG Swift and honestly didn't notice a huge difference in performance over my previous 24" 144hz TN panel. I'm not saying it's not a nice monitor, but for the extra 700 dollars or whatever over non-G-Sync alternatives I feel in retrospect it was not a great value and regard it as one of my worst tech impulse buys to date. Definitely (in my opinion) a lot of hype and the biggest nVidia rip off to date.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I'm not sure, but I don't think nVIdia cards are G-Sync compatible. What that means is that if you're planning on going for the 1060 SC, then you'll probably want to pony up extra cash and get a G-Sync based monitor. So far as I know, there aren't any 480s that can run in the S4 mini which means FreeSync is off the table for the time being. That being said, there is a big Vega reveal at CES in three days and *HOPEFULLY* they'll reveal a new Nano card which could solve a lot of problems for your build.

The other thing I think it worth mentioning is that the 1060 doesn't really do 4K all that well across the board. While some titles will run acceptably at 4K, a lot of triple A titles will probably choke. If you're set on 4K, I would recommend going to the Gigabyte 1070 and getting a larger external brick and a higher wattage solution like the Dell 330. Alternatively you could move down to a 1440P monitor and crush most stuff with the 1060.

As far as running the 1060/6600 combo with the 192W pico solution, you should be fine. I'm pretty sure this is a standard setup that Josh recommends. If you run into problems, you can always undervolt a little to get back into reference range.
Nvidia cards are G Sync compatible

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Big? In specific situations it helps smooth out the stuttering of frames between 30 and 60 fps.
I've been running a FreeSync monitor for a while now with a range of 30-75Hz and LFC, it's just no stuttering, ever. Since the last Crimson ReLive, even Borderless Windowed has FreeSync support. The only game that stutters is No Man's Sky that just occasionally drops the framerate to zero. You do notice the reduced framerate after a while but I only noticed it slightly. I am however very sensitive to irregular framerates and this has been like a long-lasting headache that's finally gone.

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

fjbruening

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Thank you all for the info!

@Runamok81 - thanks for the link t o the article, very helpful.

I dislike the idea of proprietary HW, and would prefer to support FreeSync if possible. However, if the AMD cards are a step below the Nvidia cards then I'll look more seriously at the g-sync monitors.

I've been looking at the Nvidia cards to this point - and was settled on a 1060 for my S4 build. Is there an equivalent AMD card that has similar performance / size / as the 1060s?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I hate that G-Sync monitors cost $300 at a minimum. But I want to use NVidia, for power consumption reasons.

Would I be well off enough getting a cheaper 144hz monitor at 1080p and play on VSync (so as to avoid tearing) for most games? Would frame pacing on VSync be less noticeable with a monitor like this, that provides more granularity than 60hz?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
RX 480 is on par performance-wise with the 1060. The two major downsides to this card with your build are that it doesn't yet come in an ITX variety and it consumes 20-30W more than the 1060.

The problem with V-Sync and the whole reason G-Sync/FreeSync are considered superior is that if you go into a GPU intensive room or situation you'll start to experience tearing. With a 144hz monitor, the burden of maintaining frame rate at 144 is squarely on the GPU which can present problems as that is an incredibly high frame rate in higher end titles.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The only question I can answer is YES, Gsync and Freesync do make a HUGE difference in quality for me.

Both technologies seem to work well, but I have more hours in front of Gsync setups and only have seen freesync in demos. It is one of those technologies that you didn't realize you cared about until you have it.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Don't feel bad, it's the others that make you feel bad when you do it there. We welcome all (factual..) information here, the source format isn't an issue (unless it's in RealTime video format. then we ban you) :)

Reactions: Therandomness