Cerberus V2

AliSaying

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 17, 2021
For me, the most important improvement would have been support for higher profile CPU coolers like Nh-D15 and tiny space for cables behind the backplate. This would have a been ahuge game changer for this particular case. Otherwise, things like USB-C and others are easily DIY’able if really needed.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
What changes would everyone like to see in a Version 2 of the Cerberus and Cerberus X?

Here are mine:

1. Slight increase in height to allow for mounting 120x25 or 140 x 25 fans at the top of the case. (Both models)

2. Front mount 240mm AIO on Cerberus

3. Ability to mount the SFX PSU like the NCASE M1 with an ITX build. This will allow for mounting an AIO on the swing arm. (Both Models)

4. Increase of GPU clearance by 15mm. This would give you a lot more GPU options with front mount AIO. GPUs are huge these days. (Both models)

5. To keep the case proportioned, increase the height, width, and depth in equal amounts. 15 mm ( 0.59 of an inch for Imperials). I don't have the cad files but I think that might be enough.

6. USB C.

It's my personal dream list. Also, it takes none of the realities of actually designing a case into effect and I'm absolutely certain there are items that would not make fiscal sense. But it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

Thoughts?

1. This actually can be done without increasing size of case! New version will have this.

2. This unfortunately does not work in current version, will require a new version with extra length from front to back. (But this wish is granted with this new slightly longer version!)

3. This is in as well!

4. Same as #2, this is a new version that has ~30mm added to front.

5. Trying to keep case as small as possible within reason, unlikely to add space for proportions / aesthetics.

6. You got it!

Keep the sizes the same, it's big enough as it is. I'd like to see the removable bottom from the S620 brought over to the Cerberus if possible. Also the improved mounting system for the top fans that case has. Oh and the larger cutouts in the motherboard tray.

Basically I'd just like to see the improvements from later cases added to the Cerberus :)

Removable bottom
Top mounting
Motherboard cutouts
PSU / 2.5" SSD holder

The flipping feature and removable bottom are in the new versions of both the V2 of each Cerb and Cerb X. The new "longer" case will not need the flipping feature.

True EATX AND SSI-EEB support!
It's been my one huge gripe about my case!
The standoffs are permanently mounted so I would have to grind them out and resink standoffs for an SSI-EEB layout, but I can't even do that because the case is about 3-4mm too short front-back. It's so close that I can physically force a 12"x13" (305x330mm) into the case, but there is no gap for PCIe brackets and all of the remaining left side screws are out of alignment.
I KNOW that it's a niche of a niche market, but I really have no desire to bother with a regular ATX motherboard/case unless I can get serious server hardware into it.
Currently my Cerberus X is running a very successful SSI-CEB build with dual socketed Xeons, 128GB of RAM, an RTX 2070, and a revolving list of PCIe add-in cards. But that was only after failing on my first attempt with a rather expensive, more full featured, dual socket, 16 DIMM, x6 PCIe x16 slot, quad GbE + Mgmt, beast.
I had to rehome that poor motherboard into a slightly modded NZXT H500 at twice the size and half the quality.

The new "RS" version that has ~30mm added to front has support for EEB/EATX.

The V2 of Cerb X also is getting a bit more flexibility on PSU mounting, which should improve it's EATX support as well.

Standoffs are also all going to be removable for X v2 and RS so that any oddball motherboard can work in it.

EEB / high end work stations are surprisingly not that niche I have learned!

Things I want to see:
- Removable top and bottom like the new S610/620.
- More open and silent friendly fan grill, like all the new cases.
- Top/bottom fans mounted directly in the cover, like NR200 top. Let me clean access to everything.
- Better PCI cover system. The actual plate with two dwarf screws sucks.
- USB-C and audio port. Some kind of modular I/O panel like Ncase M1 V6 would be awesome.
- Softer pin system. Sometimes open the side panel is like trying to lift up Thors hammer.
- Front have some wasted space between the frame and the cover, they can make a cut to make easier installing a BFGPU.

The size is perfect as it is, they can make an XL version if there are real interest.

Removable bottom is in.

Fan grills are completely changed, will be more like the bottom of the SM series.

Fans will mount similar to S610/S620/NR200, no extra brackets required. (Handle does limit to 1x fan instead of 2x.)

PCI gap cover is going to change to 632 screws.

USB C is in, but audio is not. Case will keep the current 2x A, or A + C, or 2x C options.

I am reducing the pins to 4x rather than 6x per panel. This makes it much easier to remove.

Not likely to change this for v2, but the new RS variant will add more space for long boy GPUs.

Fully vented panels. They look ridiculous in the current version.

Implement some of the changes seen in NR200 like removable covers, mounting points for PSU.

I am currently prototyping several vent pattern style to see what can be done. Experiment with mesh did not work out.

More mounting points for PSU are in, both ATX and SFX will be able to mount anywhere in the case.

First: great case. I have one gripe with it, tho: I'd like to have a screw for every rivet.
Would have loved to switch upside down because it stands below my desk to my left. Having it inverted would give it better air circulation (wouldn't hit the wall).
Also, I can't put the plate for the handle in when everything is crammed up there. It would fit. But I can't slide it in.
With screws instead of rivets, I could just looses some to make it fit.

Will have to get matching rivets and the tool to put them in.. With the current design, screws might stand out...

The flipping feature from the S610/S620 should address this and is cheaper to do than screws.

A swappable front I/O panel. By default it could be basic with just USB3 type-A ports and the power button, but allowing it to be swapped opens up the possibility of upgrades with USB3.2 gen 2, thunderbolt, USB-C, analog 3.5mm audio ports, either from Sliger or at least allowing for user mods to support it as long as the cutouts are there.

One thing that bothered me about the Cerberus X is the lack of such ports, but not having any options for cutouts makes it more difficult to look for something aftermarket that I could attach to the panel.

I was thinking Keystone Jacks might be something to implement, but might be too niche?

Case is so small already that most people I talk to about it are fine with it as is.

• Support for side mounted SFX PSU. I had to cut mine out with a dremel and stick the PSU with velcro.
  • Pigtail PSU cable option, makes the placement of top fans MUCH easier, less clutter (this is already offered with SM cases)
  • Option for full height vented panels instead of just half-height
  • Taller stock feet, 15mm seems not enough for 2x 140mm IMO (increase to 20-25mm default?) Yes chrome version is available, seems bit taller (doesn't specify how much) but not everyone wants chrome feet with black case
  • USB-C option for the top panel and connector, or maybe even a clean portless top panel
  • Softer panel clips, feels like I'm bending panels every time I try to open it
  • PCI covers were difficult to insert for some reason
  • Someone suggested removable bottom +1 sounds great

No need to change the external dimensions, would be ideal to make some V2 parts compatible and available as standalone upgrades for V1 owners (pigtail, different panel options, cables, feet)

Side SFX is in.

New version will not need pigtail.

Full vented panels is going to happen, I just need to figure out styling.

I will put taller feet up for consideration as part of final styling.

USB C is go.

Same as above, reducing pins from 4 to 6 should address this.

Difficult as in they just didn't stay in place? Mighty have to do with the M3 screws currently used there. New version will have larger head 632 screws.

Removable bottom is in!

The dimensions for V2 are staying identical. Only part that will be interchangable from v1 to v2 will be the top panel, feet, and handle. (Maybe front panel.)

The size of the Cerberus is ok. It doesn't have to be bigger.
But it has to be (even) more flexible.

-Using an ITX/DTX m/b, it would be perfect if we could move the m/b and gpu further down, allowing a 240/280 rad on top.
The 2 rad configuration has to be an easy task for a ~19L case.

I was have a variant of the X v2 drawn that specifically is for MicroATX in the middle, and allows 240mm radiator on top and bottom at same time. I'll probably wait to see what happens with next gen GPUs to actually launch that. Good idea!

A Cerberus X v2 with enough space for a DH-15 style cooler and 1 or 2 extra cm for GPUs would be perfect for me.
I wonder if they plan to launch such a case.

With the new NH-D12L cooler it is unlikely that I will make a version that is ~2cm wider just for the D15.

I could see the new RS variant being made a bit wider for big CPU air coolers and GPU water blocks?

For me, the most important improvement would have been support for higher profile CPU coolers like Nh-D15 and tiny space for cables behind the backplate. This would have a been ahuge game changer for this particular case. Otherwise, things like USB-C and others are easily DIY’able if really needed.

Would new D12L and more fans satisfy this requirement?

I mean it's not hard for me to make an XL version for D15 coolers, suppose it could be done.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
1. This actually can be done without increasing size of case! New version will have this.

2. This unfortunately does not work in current version, will require a new version with extra length from front to back. (But this wish is granted with this new slightly longer version!)

3. This is in as well!

4. Same as #2, this is a new version that has ~30mm added to front.

5. Trying to keep case as small as possible within reason, unlikely to add space for proportions / aesthetics.

6. You got it!

The flipping feature and removable bottom are in the new versions of both the V2 of each Cerb and Cerb X. The new "longer" case will not need the flipping feature.

The new "RS" version that has ~30mm added to front has support for EEB/EATX.

The V2 of Cerb X also is getting a bit more flexibility on PSU mounting, which should improve it's EATX support as well.

Standoffs are also all going to be removable for X v2 and RS so that any oddball motherboard can work in it.

EEB / high end work stations are surprisingly not that niche I have learned!

Removable bottom is in.

Fan grills are completely changed, will be more like the bottom of the SM series.

Fans will mount similar to S610/S620/NR200, no extra brackets required. (Handle does limit to 1x fan instead of 2x.)

PCI gap cover is going to change to 632 screws.

USB C is in, but audio is not. Case will keep the current 2x A, or A + C, or 2x C options.

I am reducing the pins to 4x rather than 6x per panel. This makes it much easier to remove.

Not likely to change this for v2, but the new RS variant will add more space for long boy GPUs.

I am currently prototyping several vent pattern style to see what can be done. Experiment with mesh did not work out.

More mounting points for PSU are in, both ATX and SFX will be able to mount anywhere in the case.

The flipping feature from the S610/S620 should address this and is cheaper to do than screws.

I was thinking Keystone Jacks might be something to implement, but might be too niche?

Case is so small already that most people I talk to about it are fine with it as is.

Side SFX is in.

New version will not need pigtail.

Full vented panels is going to happen, I just need to figure out styling.

I will put taller feet up for consideration as part of final styling.

USB C is go.

Same as above, reducing pins from 4 to 6 should address this.

Difficult as in they just didn't stay in place? Mighty have to do with the M3 screws currently used there. New version will have larger head 632 screws.

Removable bottom is in!

The dimensions for V2 are staying identical. Only part that will be interchangable from v1 to v2 will be the top panel, feet, and handle. (Maybe front panel.)

I was have a variant of the X v2 drawn that specifically is for MicroATX in the middle, and allows 240mm radiator on top and bottom at same time. I'll probably wait to see what happens with next gen GPUs to actually launch that. Good idea!

With the new NH-D12L cooler it is unlikely that I will make a version that is ~2cm wider just for the D15.

I could see the new RS variant being made a bit wider for big CPU air coolers and GPU water blocks?

I mean it's not hard for me to make an XL version for D15 coolers, suppose it could be done.

VERY cool. I'm really interested to see how this pans out.

Not sure if you know but we use a Cerberus X as our PSU torture rig.

Timothy

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
A XL version that fits the D15 would be very interesting. The new NH-D12L cooler would likely be plenty, but overkill is nice also!

Construct

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 19, 2022

I don't see the need for an XL version just to fit a D15 cooler.

The D12L comes so close to the D15 in reviews that it's just not worth it. (Example: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d12l_cpu_cooler_review,8.html )

The D15 would only really fill a very narrow gap between the D12L and the better AIOs. Unless there's some other benefit of an XL case, I don't see D15 support being worth the additional overhead of a second version.

Timothy

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
I don't see the need for an XL version just to fit a D15 cooler.

The D12L comes so close to the D15 in reviews that it's just not worth it. (Example: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d12l_cpu_cooler_review,8.html )

The D15 would only really fill a very narrow gap between the D12L and the better AIOs. Unless there's some other benefit of an XL case, I don't see D15 support being worth the additional overhead of a second version.
If they end up making a wider case some migh use the icegiant prosiphon elite cooler for a threadripper build. Also, the next generation of the D15 if noctua ever gets around to making it might be more of an improvement.

I preferr air cooling, but liquid is definitely more compact.

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
How's the progress on Cerberus V2? Is it too much to hope for a Q1/Q2 2023 release? 😁

What he said! I was watching the Sliger site waiting since July last year!

As far as things I’d like to see,

Handle on top without effecting my ability to use 2 fans, or a radiator.

Swappable rear on the case, something similar to the 011 mini. As much as I dislike the “mini” I do like the idea of being able to shift a motherboard and gpu down, to allow mounting a radiator up top for exhaust. Even a vertical mount replacement panel for the pcie slots, would be useful give the size of the new gen gpus. Leave room for the block manifold and power cable that way. On the other hand, if the case is wide enough to accommodate a 4090 with a water block manifold sticking out, we can all air cool with a d15 ;)

Inverted case ability, as long as I can run a radiator, with dual fans, and the handle on top! I really hate dumping all the heat into my case.

And this is purely personal preference, but I miss the venting cut from my sm580, flowed air very well, and gave modest protection to the fans. I cut the bottom out of my cerberus X, and dropped 2c off my loop temps. But that wasn’t why I did it. I knocked 18DBa off my noise levels at full fan speed without the panel on the bottom. Granted, once again, I HATE dumping hot air into my case. And if I had a top mounted rad exhausting, then the fans wouldn’t have been as loud pushing through the grill vs pulling. But they are still fairly restrictive. I do understand that they allow mounting up all kinds of extra things, and I do appreciate that. I used the panel on the front to directly mount my psu’s internally. Allows them to be shifted more, or even front mount an atx, with a short gpu. On the bottom though, I just want unrestricted flow!

Last but not least, taller feet. I knocked another 1c off the loop temps by swapping to Mnpctech feet.