Cerberus V2

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
What changes would everyone like to see in a Version 2 of the Cerberus and Cerberus X?

Here are mine:

1. Slight increase in height to allow for mounting 120x25 or 140 x 25 fans at the top of the case. (Both models)

2. Front mount 240mm AIO on Cerberus

3. Ability to mount the SFX PSU like the NCASE M1 with an ITX build. This will allow for mounting an AIO on the swing arm. (Both Models)

4. Increase of GPU clearance by 15mm. This would give you a lot more GPU options with front mount AIO. GPUs are huge these days. (Both models)

5. To keep the case proportioned, increase the height, width, and depth in equal amounts. 15 mm ( 0.59 of an inch for Imperials). I don't have the cad files but I think that might be enough.

6. USB C.

It's my personal dream list. Also, it takes none of the realities of actually designing a case into effect and I'm absolutely certain there are items that would not make fiscal sense. But it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

Thoughts?

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
What changes would everyone like to see in a Version 2 of the Cerberus and Cerberus X?

Here are mine:

1. Slight increase in height to allow for mounting 120x25 or 140 x 25 fans at the top of the case. (Both models)

2. Front mount 240mm AIO on Cerberus

3. Ability to mount the SFX PSU like the NCASE M1 with an ITX build. This will allow for mounting an AIO on the swing arm. (Both Models)

4. Increase of GPU clearance by 15mm. This would give you a lot more GPU options with front mount AIO. GPUs are huge these days. (Both models)

5. To keep the case proportioned, increase the height, width, and depth in equal amounts. 15 mm ( 0.59 of an inch for Imperials). I don't have the cad files but I think that might be enough.

6. USB C.

It's my personal dream list. Also, it takes none of the realities of actually designing a case into effect and I'm absolutely certain there are items that would not make fiscal sense. But it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

Thoughts?
I will address some problems with each of your suggestions

1. That will increase the volume of the case by quite a bit
2. Impossible without making the case a lot bigger or using a different layout, because the ATX PSU is positioned at the front
3. Do you want to increase the length of the case by around 60mm?
4. That will increase the volume of the case by quite a bit
5. That will increase the volume of the case by quite a bit
6. Will probably be more expensive to produce (Not by much, though)

With these changes, you are mainly asking to increase the size of the case instead of thinking compatibility ideas. Making these changes will bring the case size up to around a normal ATX/mATX sized case, defeating the goal of the Cerberus line of cases.

Reactions: biopunk

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
Keep the sizes the same, it's big enough as it is. I'd like to see the removable bottom from the S620 brought over to the Cerberus if possible. Also the improved mounting system for the top fans that case has. Oh and the larger cutouts in the motherboard tray.

Basically I'd just like to see the improvements from later cases added to the Cerberus :)

Removable bottom
Top mounting
Motherboard cutouts
PSU / 2.5" SSD holder

Reactions: Revenant

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

2. Impossible without making the case a lot bigger or using a different layout, because the ATX PSU is positioned at the front

With these changes, you are mainly asking to increase the size of the case instead of thinking compatibility ideas. Making these changes will bring the case size up to around a normal ATX/mATX sized case, defeating the goal of the Cerberus line of cases.
Or market it as a Cerberus XL and let the man have his dream :p

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
Before you all scream that I'm killing my AIOs and PSU ... this was a test fit, and it actually ran for few hours with good temps ... but that was before I sold the case, got custom cables, got a custom loop and moved on to another case entirely. So two 240mm AIOs fit, one being in the front, and one on the bottom.

Edit: forgot to mention that there are two scythe slim fans up top as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: confusis

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Before you all scream that I'm killing my AIOs and PSU ... this was a test fit, and it actually ran for few hours with good temps ... but that was before I sold the case, got custom cables, got a custom loop and moved on to another case entirely. So two 240mm AIOs fit, one being in the front, and one on the bottom.

Edit: forgot to mention that there are two scythe slim fans up top as well.

Yep, I already know this setup. I thought he meant another radiator... You can even change the SFX PSU into an ATX PSU!

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

To each their own.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
True EATX AND SSI-EEB support!
It's been my one huge gripe about my case!
The standoffs are permanently mounted so I would have to grind them out and resink standoffs for an SSI-EEB layout, but I can't even do that because the case is about 3-4mm too short front-back. It's so close that I can physically force a 12"x13" (305x330mm) into the case, but there is no gap for PCIe brackets and all of the remaining left side screws are out of alignment.
I KNOW that it's a niche of a niche market, but I really have no desire to bother with a regular ATX motherboard/case unless I can get serious server hardware into it.
Currently my Cerberus X is running a very successful SSI-CEB build with dual socketed Xeons, 128GB of RAM, an RTX 2070, and a revolving list of PCIe add-in cards. But that was only after failing on my first attempt with a rather expensive, more full featured, dual socket, 16 DIMM, x6 PCIe x16 slot, quad GbE + Mgmt, beast.
I had to rehome that poor motherboard into a slightly modded NZXT H500 at twice the size and half the quality.

Uruk

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2019
Things I want to see:
- Removable top and bottom like the new S610/620.
- More open and silent friendly fan grill, like all the new cases.
- Top/bottom fans mounted directly in the cover, like NR200 top. Let me clean access to everything.
- Better PCI cover system. The actual plate with two dwarf screws sucks.
- USB-C and audio port. Some kind of modular I/O panel like Ncase M1 V6 would be awesome.
- Softer pin system. Sometimes open the side panel is like trying to lift up Thors hammer.
- Front have some wasted space between the frame and the cover, they can make a cut to make easier installing a BFGPU.

The size is perfect as it is, they can make an XL version if there are real interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: robert-g

Tramere

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2019
Fully vented panels. They look ridiculous in the current version.

Implement some of the changes seen in NR200 like removable covers, mounting points for PSU.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Fully vented panels. They look ridiculous in the current version.

Implement some of the changes seen in NR200 like removable covers, mounting points for PSU.

You know, I'd love to see a partial mesh option for the front panel. Not that the stock config ran hot with my 280mm AIO, but a black mesh surrounded by a white frame would look awesome.

robert-g

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 15, 2021
First: great case. I have one gripe with it, tho: I'd like to have a screw for every rivet.
Would have loved to switch upside down because it stands below my desk to my left. Having it inverted would give it better air circulation (wouldn't hit the wall).
Also, I can't put the plate for the handle in when everything is crammed up there. It would fit. But I can't slide it in.
With screws instead of rivets, I could just looses some to make it fit.

Will have to get matching rivets and the tool to put them in.. With the current design, screws might stand out...

Ulyssys

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 9, 2021
A swappable front I/O panel. By default it could be basic with just USB3 type-A ports and the power button, but allowing it to be swapped opens up the possibility of upgrades with USB3.2 gen 2, thunderbolt, USB-C, analog 3.5mm audio ports, either from Sliger or at least allowing for user mods to support it as long as the cutouts are there.

One thing that bothered me about the Cerberus X is the lack of such ports, but not having any options for cutouts makes it more difficult to look for something aftermarket that I could attach to the panel.

milica

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2019
  • Support for side mounted SFX PSU. I had to cut mine out with a dremel and stick the PSU with velcro.
  • Pigtail PSU cable option, makes the placement of top fans MUCH easier, less clutter (this is already offered with SM cases)
  • Option for full height vented panels instead of just half-height
  • Taller stock feet, 15mm seems not enough for 2x 140mm IMO (increase to 20-25mm default?) Yes chrome version is available, seems bit taller (doesn't specify how much) but not everyone wants chrome feet with black case
  • USB-C option for the top panel and connector, or maybe even a clean portless top panel
  • Softer panel clips, feels like I'm bending panels every time I try to open it
  • PCI covers were difficult to insert for some reason
  • Someone suggested removable bottom +1 sounds great

No need to change the external dimensions, would be ideal to make some V2 parts compatible and available as standalone upgrades for V1 owners (pigtail, different panel options, cables, feet)

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
The size of the Cerberus is ok. It doesn't have to be bigger.
But it has to be (even) more flexible.

-Using an ITX/DTX m/b, it would be perfect if we could move the m/b and gpu further down, allowing a 240/280 rad on top.
The 2 rad configuration has to be an easy task for a ~19L case.

Reactions: youngdocument

Hellgardia

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 7, 2017
A Cerberus X v2 with enough space for a DH-15 style cooler and 1 or 2 extra cm for GPUs would be perfect for me.
I wonder if they plan to launch such a case.

Reactions: Revenant

Hellgardia

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 7, 2017
A Cerberus X v2 with enough space for a DH-15 style cooler and 1 or 2 extra cm for GPUs would be perfect for me.
I wonder if they plan to launch such a case.

fraquar

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 17, 2021
I'll need to reserve other comments for after I get my hands on the (X), which I ordered last Friday. That said, I see no point whatsoever in a front I/O on premium cases such as this. These are the kinds of cases that are an investment, where you reuse them in subsequent builds over time - and the open nature of the case allows you to do that.

My Silverstone SG03 (finally upgrading from it after 12 years) makes the point (it literally has reached EOL in my eyes - finally).
Who uses Firewire? Who uses USB 2.0 (or even 3.0 with the F refresh)?
Who wastes their time using the front audio jack or the audio mic?
Who uses tons of internal storage when there are a myriad of external storage options today?

My draw to this case is it's open nature - it ditched the antiquated "cage" design of generations before.

Also, I cringe at the notion of people saying cases need to be bigger (on a SFF forum no less). Things shrink over time - they don't get bigger. In other words they want to use a cooler designed for large tower cases in an otherwise SFF tower design - so lets just make that SFF case bigger? You lost you mind.

If the Cerberus or the (X) are too small - you likely have the wrong size case. Not sure I see the value in an (XL), but I digress, that is something for the case builder to ponder.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I'll need to reserve other comments for after I get my hands on the (X), which I ordered last Friday. That said, I see no point whatsoever in a front I/O on premium cases such as this. These are the kinds of cases that are an investment, where you reuse them in subsequent builds over time - and the open nature of the case allows you to do that.

My Silverstone SG03 (finally upgrading from it after 12 years) makes the point (it literally has reached EOL in my eyes - finally).
Who uses tons of internal storage when there are a myriad of external storage options today?

My draw to this case is it's open nature - it ditched the antiquated "cage" design of generations before.

Also, I cringe at the notion of people saying cases need to be bigger (on a SFF forum no less). Things shrink over time - they don't get bigger. In other words they want to use a cooler designed for large tower cases in an otherwise SFF tower design - so lets just make that SFF case bigger? You lost you mind.

If the Cerberus or the (X) are too small - you likely have the wrong size case. Not sure I see the value in an (XL), but I digress, that is something for the case builder to ponder.

I guess I lost my mind. However...I'll address some of your concerns.

"... I see no point whatsoever in a front I/O on premium cases such as this. "

It depends. Front IO preference depends on the user. I find it useful, and many of the premium cases allow you to upgrade the module. Additionally, some mainboards have so few USB ports (I'm looking at you MSI) that they should come with a hub out of the box. I have cases both with and without front IO. I like being able to just plug something into the case easily, but I do sacrifice it for certain cases for looks. I like to have the option at least.

"My Silverstone SG03 (finally upgrading from it after 12 years) makes the point (it literally has reached EOL in my eyes - finally). "

Great case. I still have a few Silverstones for my older machines. Silverstone makes good stuff.

"Who uses Firewire? Who uses USB 2.0 (or even 3.0 with the F refresh)? "

3.0 is still quiet useful. Everything else is depreciated tech.

"Who wastes their time using the front audio jack or the audio mic?"

This guy! Though only rarely.

"Who uses tons of internal storage when there are a myriad of external storage options today?"

External storage of which type? Most NAS units are capped to a functional 125MB per second when hardwired. External hard drives are, for the most part capped to 1000MB per second over short bursts for NVME drives. If you need more bandwidth than that, you need internal storage. Plus you clutter up your setup.

I prefer having fast local storage in the form of NVME drives. I have 5TB in my main machine, and my editing rig has 5TB as well. I can easily use all of that up. I have two NAS units but unfortunately don't have wired networking in my location except in one room. Additionally, sometimes it's just easier to have your files locally on the machine. Providing it's backed up, it becomes one less point of failure in the data chain.

"Also, I cringe at the notion of people saying cases need to be bigger (on a SFF forum no less)."

Case adjustments get made all the time depending on hardware requirements. The Cerberus and Cerberus XL design itself was to move to a bigger case design to fit bigger hardware. Otherwise we would all be using Dan A4-SFX units or laptops.

"Things shrink over time - they don't get bigger."

Tell that to the latest gen of video cards. Very few 3080s or 3090s fit in the traditional 2 slot form factor. ITX sized cards where paper launches at best. CPUs are hotter and larger as well. When many legendary cases launched they were dealing with quad core CPUs. Now mainstream has hit 8, 10, 12, and even 16 core units that pull a lot more power, and have larger packages. The L9A simply can't handle these CPUs and that was the cooler many of the cases were designed around.

Even DonDan, who made the legendary A4-SFX, isn't designing anything anymore with just a 2 slot GPU or 47mm of heatsink space. Users of the Ghost S1 and CCD MI-6 are struggling to get GPUs that fit, and air-cool their CPUs now. Making slight adjustments to keep a case relevant is just part of the design process.

"You lost you mind."

I'm just ahead of the curve....

Hellgardia

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 7, 2017

Well the current Cerberus X has 380mm x 172mm x 358mm which gives it a 23.4L volume.
Adding an extra 19mm on the width would allow for coolers up to 168mm which would cover pretty much every CPU cooler out there and that would bring it to around 25.98L of volume (roughly) which is still pretty darn small for a case that supports ATX motherboards with all the options it brings. Don't really know how much would be needed for the ATX PSU suggested by some other users but it would still be an interesting case even if it's a tad bigger.