Stalled Catz C-1 (5L), C-SFX (10L) and C-WS (15L)

Kagemand

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
I agree - it is very nice. I am in the same boat, can't really build in it for some months as I will be out of country. One question since someone else also go their case - did you get a plate number? @amitoza mentioned this when asked some time ago:
Alas, there is no such plate anywhere on my case or in the packaging. A shame! I was #2 in production and even though I don't like branding, it would have been a cool piece of SFF history. Did you get a plate?
Unfortunately I didn't notice or check for this when I unboxed it. So amitoza or someone would have to answer this...

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
Excellent question, but I have a few questions:

• Does the PCIE riser cable that goes underneath the MB affect the installation of m.2 drives on the backside of the MB?
  • How is the PCIE riser cable secured at its end?
  • Following that, how is the GPU secured to the case? Is it just a matter of screwing in the bracket at the case opening?

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I can field this quick as I fiddled with some things under the motherboard.

Does the PCIE riser cable that goes underneath the MB affect the installation of m.2 drives on the backside of the MB?

Absolutely, too thick and you will not get a PCIe riser or M.2 in there. The Lian Li for example prevents it, but you could push very hard and get something in there - just be aware of that when you buy. In fact, the space under the motherboard is so thin (even though I haven't tried it) I am hard pressed to see how anyone could fit any PCIe riser except the super-thin ones like that from HDPlex (even though it isn't long enough) under that board without applying pressure. Try from ModDIY, they have thin solutions that have been tested to work in this very thread.

How is the PCIE riser cable secured at its end?

It is not. Unless it is something the PCIe riser company designed, risers generally aren't secured in any way except for the lock on the GPU slot itself (which some companies still forego). This is generally not something case designers implement unless it is a 3rd party solution. I have seen only 2 cases in my life that do, and this is not one of them.

Following that, how is the GPU secured to the case? Is it just a matter of screwing in the bracket at the case opening?

If you look closely at image 2 and 4 I posted above you can see a small bracing protruding out the side of the opening (just over the SSD) which serves as a mounting brace for the GPU. From there it is standard fare, 2 small screws and you are off the the races. If it is a big card, I would expect sag, go as small as you can and even maybe some small adhesive rubber feet I was thinking on the back of the GPU to let it stand comfortably on the bottom if it makes you nervous.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Nasp

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
bledha: You mentioned a thin PCI riser is necessary. Currently the motherboard is located on the left side. Is it possible to flip the back panel and have the motherboard on the right side? This way you can use a shorter riser cable. The only thing i can see being an issue is the PCI bracket on the outside.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
bledha: You mentioned a thin PCI riser is necessary. Currently the motherboard is located on the left side. Is it possible to flip the back panel and have the motherboard on the right side? This way you can use a shorter riser cable. The only thing i can see being an issue is the PCI bracket on the outside.

That is likely an ill advised undertaking, the bottom panel looks like it could be unscrewed from the cubes and be flipped, but the back panel (independently) would also need to be flipped. However this presents major issues:

1. The cutouts for I/O and GPU I/O are not centered (see images), so you would need custom height motherboard mounts to reach the appropriate height or your motherboard will sag. I guess you could just stick junk underneath it....

2. Doing number 1 would then force your board closer to the top panel of the case, cutting clearance quite a bit for the CPU cooler.

3. The GPU I/O cutout is raised with a vent underneath for area to mount SSDs and some ventilation. If you flipped it, your area to mount the SSDs goes away and you force your GPU (now fans down) to the floor of the case, with its fans not breathing any air at all.

4. Not to mention the fact that flipping the bottom of the case would misalign all the appropriate mounting locations.

For the record, I am not sure (as I have not tested it that a thin PCIe riser is necessary. The area just seems very thin, and I am sure you can squeeze anything in there but the thicker ones - especially with the nuts from a mounting system like the Noctua NH L9i (which many folks use with SFF cases) will be very cramped and possibly pressed together quite firmly. A little more space should have been reserved for this in design. However, it is possible (as seen in @amitoza's build with the C1, search the thread) to get a thick riser under a board as he built with a Lian Li one. The concern is more for interference from CPU cooler mounting hardware on the underside.

@fminus, if this is the config you're looking for, and it is a good one, just go with the S4.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Also, @amitoza, why were there no ID plates attached to the first batch? You mentioned they would be.

Will they be attached on the second batch?

cauchypower

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 13, 2017
@Catz, could you add the weight of the (empty) case, with and without unibody? I am looking at building a lightweight as well as small enclosure to carry around during my travels :)

Hi, I start accepting orders for my custom cases C1 and C-SFX. Realization time - 2/3weeks, payment by paypal.

CATZ C1

Specification:
- Volume: 350x209x69 (5,04L) with unibody, 379x217x69 (5,67L) with unibody
- Material: 2mm Aluminium, unibody 5mm Aluminium
- GPU: length 213mm
- CPU Cooler: up to 50mm
- Storage: M.2, 1 HDD/SSD 2,5"
- ODD: 1 - Slot-in
- PSU: HDPLEX 160W/HDPLEX 300W recommended
- colour: any you want - powder coated
- riser: flex 250- 300mm recommended
- power button 22mm led
- Price: 100€, 120€ with 5mm unibody + shipping costs (to US 70$ FedEx 3-5days or 40$ by Post 5-8days) to EU 25-30€

amitoza

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
CATZ
Feb 10, 2017
Second Batch is ready (powder coated) but i'll be back At home on friday evening.

Also, @amitoza, why were there no ID plates attached to the first batch? You mentioned they would be.

Will they be attached on the second batch?
I completely forgot about it. I'll send plates with number for everyone in next week ;)

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Second Batch is ready (powder coated) but i'll be back At home on friday evening.

I completely forgot about it. I'll send plates with number for everyone in next week ;)

Isn't that sweet! How would you apply them? Maybe contact me via PM though, I move from my current location in 22 days and so I likely won't be here to receive anything that is sent to it next week (unless its super fast).

Kagemand

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017

Don't worry about mine!! I'm not even home to pick it up so you would just get it sent back :p (My case is the one you sent to Copenhagen)

deadz0ne

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2017

So when will you send out the second Batch? Can you please take some pictures of the second batch? Thanks.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Today is the day, the HDPLEX 300w internal AC-DC converter is here! I have a few questions before I can commit to picking this up though. First of all, does anyone know if it'll fit in the case with an EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB? I've tried to measure it out and it seems like it'll fit, but I can't be sure. Also, the C-1 isn't designed to take the standard ATX 3 pin plug for power so I'd obviously have to mod my case. This isn't an issue, but I'm not sure if there will actually be enough room without having interference from the unibody and the cubes that the body screws into. I might need some input from @amitoza on this one.

And for those out of the loop, here is what I'm talking about http://www.hd-plex.com/images/product/300WACDC/packagecontent/detachable.IEC.EMI.jpg

EDIT: I just did the math again and it looks like the converter won't fit with the GTX 1060. The longest GPU that could work with it would have to be under 164mm

Last edited:

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
@Jonny727272

I actually have the EVGA 1060 SC as well and am looking to get the C-1 case and the hdplex ac-dc.
I came to the same conclusion that it will not fit due to the case being not long enough. Height and width should be fine.

Maybe @amitoza is interested in making a modified version of the case that fits the hdplex combo and itx-length GPUs.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
@Jonny727272

I actually have the EVGA 1060 SC as well and am looking to get the C-1 case and the hdplex ac-dc.
I came to the same conclusion that it will not fit due to the case being not long enough. Height and width should be fine.

Maybe @amitoza is interested in making a modified version of the case that fits the hdplex combo and itx-length GPUs.
As awesome as that would be, I'd feel very sad for missing out on that and being an early adopter. Oh well, I guess it's just motivation for a new case next year :D