Stalled Catz C-1 (5L), C-SFX (10L) and C-WS (15L)

amitoza

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
CATZ
Feb 10, 2017
So you're saying I can have honeycomb holes on the C1? I like the thought of that
Yes
@amitoza so SFF recently posted a review of the Zotac 1080 Mini along with all the dimensions, do you think it will fit?
Without plastic fan cover 172,5+30,5=203... Inside dimension of case is 202.4mm :D so little cut out in 2mm core front panel is needed.

Grafite

3D Printing Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2017
Yes

Without plastic fan cover 172,5+30,5=203... Inside dimension of case is 202.4mm :D so little cut out in 2mm core front panel is needed.

Ok, so would it be too late to ask for one in the first batch? Because my 1080 Mini will be here tomorrow XD

amitoza

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
CATZ
Feb 10, 2017
I can try order new one. Eventually I can make cut out with Dremel before powder coating.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Ok, so would it be too late to ask for one in the first batch? Because my 1080 Mini will be here tomorrow XD

Haha! You jumped on that 1080. I asked for a small change some days ago, but it seems to be too late to make them (good sign, things are moving fast!) That is an expensive card though, so I hope exceptions can be made sometimes!

Grafite

3D Printing Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2017
I can try order new one. Eventually I can make cut out with Dremel before powder coating.

its fine, I'll just cut off the small bit of heatsink. I'm just going to miss my warranty.

Haha! You jumped on that 1080. I asked for a small change some days ago, but it seems to be too late to make them (good sign, things are moving fast!) That is an expensive card though, so I hope exceptions can be made sometimes!

Lol its true, I was looking for around that price everywhere. But I'm sure I'll cram it in there with a more adjustment

amitoza

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
CATZ
Feb 10, 2017
This modification is possible to make if you really want... but I can't guarantee laser precision :D

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Maybe try easyDIY risers?

These are available here (and quickly), the right length, and are a reasonable price - thoughts on the brand?

I have read in some places (not sure if it is true...) that this would only really support PCIe gen 2.0, and there is a maximum length to support gen 3.0 speeds - 20cm. Any truth to this?

Last edited:

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
I have the EZDIY riser and although I haven't tested it, it seems very durable and not cheaply made. My build is still a couple months out.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I have the EZDIY riser and although I haven't tested it, it seems very durable and not cheaply made. My build is still a couple months out.

Cool, thanks for the tip @Jonny727272. If you get a GPU on it, let me know how it works. My build is less than a month out, but I am short a riser. This one looks the same as the modDIY for half the price.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
Is it possible to do the top grill similar to this:

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
Do you think it would be more annoying with clogging dust?

(P.S. is your name, @fminus, related to the band?)

I am less interested in the clogging dust part, and more interested if he has the manufacturing capabilities to do this. This is purely for aesthetic reasons. I would like to switch it to a honeycomb pattern though. It is shown here that it rates higher in airflow and low noise than the current angled slits.

As for the fminus brand...no idea there was a brand of this.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I am less interested in the clogging dust part, and more interested if he has the manufacturing capabilities to do this. This is purely for aesthetic reasons. I would like to switch it to a honeycomb pattern though. It is shown here that it rates higher in airflow and low noise than the current angled slits.

As for the fminus brand...no idea there was a brand of this.

Very cool article (hehe), thanks for sharing! It seems fairly low in difference however, on low and high fan speeds of 2.5 and 3.6 dBA respectively for angled slots vs. honeycomb. Also, and this would make a big difference, the density of those slots/honeycomb vents seems to be quite different (tighter) than those on the top of the boxes @amitoza ships which are nearly wide open! If you make them honeycomb, but increase the density of them as shown on the console, I am sure it will restrict more than the wide open slots of the CATZ cases. Air will struggle more to come through on smaller holes than larger ones no matter the shape. But since your concern is just aesthetic, it won't matter!

And I said band not brand. F-Minus, obscure punk band found here. So I was curious if you liked them! :)

Last edited:

Grafite

3D Printing Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2017
Would it be possible to get build/production numbers? Its not something you have to do, but I think its cool when other Cases do that, like the Sentry.

Reactions: bledha

amitoza

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
CATZ
Feb 10, 2017
Would it be possible to get build/production numbers? Its not something you have to do, but I think its cool when other Cases do that, like the Sentry.
Yes, each case will get plate with number.

Tomorrow I will show some photos of first bath ready for powder coating :)

Orders for second bath only to monday! :)

Reactions: Grafite and bledha

amitoza

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
CATZ
Feb 10, 2017
Hey @amitoza, was hoping for photos yesterday! Is everything going well?
little problem on production - unibodies dxf file with and without odd cut have same name and laser software use only one file and cut only elements with odd cutout. Tomorrow everything will be ready.