Concept Case Idea: Flex ATX Vertical Layout (~4.9 L)

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Not sure if there has been a case like this before, but I wanted to share the concept early to collect any feedback or suggestions regarding this design before I continue working on it. The basic concept started with the idea, of utilizing the wasted space typically provided just above the retention bracket for PCI Express slots. There is usually a gap there to allow the card to slide up, then back out of the case. I wanted to use this typically wasted space by placing a flex ATX bracket just above it. That would mean one would have to install the GPU first, then install and secure the Flex ATX unit, but I think the space savings are worth the extra hassle. A rough image of the idea is provided below. I believe a case of this layout could support a GPU of up to 210mm and stay under 5 liters.

Thoughts and feedback are appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

Yep, this comes close to what you want to do only he put the PSU in between the motherboard and GPU. Your layout isn't very uncommon in the server market- 1U power supplies with the same height as FlexATX are placed side by side with other components for a total length of 19.5 inches. But I think the depth is fixed with those, and longer than 210mm. So that puts those server cases over 5L.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Found one: http://www.casetronic.com/corporates/142-t1102.html

And yeah, realized just now a major issue with my idea is how the PSU might block the GPUs power port. So that might be a no go. I might order a sample from this company and see if I can improve it's ventilation with some careful cuts to its panels. if the dimensions in their website are to be believed, this thing comes just under 5L.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
And yeah, realized just now a major issue with my idea is how the PSU might block the GPUs power port. So that might be a no go.

What I did to fix that is move the GPU into the case by about 20mm, so the power connectors of the GPU are actually directly in front of the PSU. You could do that in your layout as well, but you'd need a custom riser. With my layout it was easier because the flexible riser could just be folded two times to allow for the offset.

Reactions: Reldey