Case and air cooler recommendation for 3700x and RTX 2060 super

Cortante

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Hi Guys,

I have been reading the forum for a time, now, but this is my first time posting here. I would love some recommendations for my first sff build!

I am looking for a smallish case that can be relatively quiet with an air cooler for using a Ryzen 3700x and a RTX 2060 super. I am afraid that pump noise might get annoying for me, that's why I am looking for an air cooling solution.

I am not sure on thermals on the smaller cases with an air cooler, since most here seem to be using AIOs. I am interested in aesthetics and budget is not a problem, but I am in Austria and availability is important. This seems to rule out the Ncase m1 and Ghost, unless they become available in the next 15 days or so.

Cases that I can get easily right now seems to be: Dan A4, Kolink rocket, In win A1 plus, Streacom DA 2and nuovolo steck. I am not sure, thought, if I will have to bump the size....

Furthermore, since I will be buying all new parts, any other recommendations are welcomed. For now I have those parts selected:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€349.00 @ Alternate)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard (€132.89 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€148.89 @ Alternate)
Storage: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€165.80 @ Alza)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (€110.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €906.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-09 11:28 CEST+0200

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The Steck has 70mm cooler height which would allow you to use the Noctua NH-L12S which would be a much better cooler than the NH-L9A.

Cortante

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
The Steck has 70mm cooler height which would allow you to use the Noctua NH-L12S which would be a much better cooler than the NH-L9A.

I think you might be right regarding the smaller coolers, unfortunately I just discovered that the steck is only available in "pink pie". Seriously pondering in buying it just so my anxiety for building the system subsides!

Other option would be the Raijintek Ophion. Reading the forums, though, it seems like it is really low quality for its price with the vented sides (roughly 160 euros).

I could go for a cheap case, like the Sharkoon QB One (40 euros), while waiting for availability of the m1 or similar.

Any suggestions of viables alternatives?

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I think you might be right regarding the smaller coolers, unfortunately I just discovered that the steck is only available in "pink pie". Seriously pondering in buying it just so my anxiety for building the system subsides!

Other option would be the Raijintek Ophion. Reading the forums, though, it seems like it is really low quality for its price with the vented sides (roughly 160 euros).

I could go for a cheap case, like the Sharkoon QB One (40 euros), while waiting for availability of the m1 or similar.

Any suggestions of viables alternatives?

The Ncase is a great case and the v6.0 should be even better (I have a v5.0), should be available within a couple months and your cooler selection for the Ncase is much better.

Cortante

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Hit a slight problem. Found a strix 2070 cheaper than all brand name 2060 super and bought it. I do not know,however, if it will fit the ncase!

Cortante

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
I took a look at the sliger, but I am not a fan of it aesthetically. Might resort to it if the ncase, Dan a4, streacom da2 or ghost S1, as weel as its clones, are unable to fit the strix. Do you know if any of the mentioned cases work with it?