Questions about a build with a 3700X and 2070 SUPER on a 600W PSU [Ncase M1 V6]

icyfillup

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
It has been five years since my first PC build, and I feel that it is time for a new build. I am planning to build a SFF for my second PC and decided to go with the NCase M1. I just got the case earlier this month and starting to purchase the parts.

Here is my PcPartPicker link:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jY9ZL2

[purchase] Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
[purchase] Ncase M1
[purchase] FSP Group Dagger 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

[not purchase] Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
[not purchase] AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
[not purchase] G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
[not purchase] EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card

[not purchase] Noctua NF-A9 PWM 46.44 CFM 92 mm Fan
[not purchase] Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler
[not purchase] (x2) Noctua NF-F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan

My budget for this build is about $2000. I intend to use this build for gaming and productivity for the next 3 - 5 years. I do not usually upgrade my current PC unless needed, so I feel that this build is not going to see much upgrades. Potential upgrades I could see happening are adding another 1TB m.2 and\or changing from air cooling to water cooling (AIO). Also, maybe changing my PSU with higher wattage, which would lead me to the question below.

My first (and second?) question are:
How would you guys rate my build and any suggestion on improvements?

My second question is:
On GPUs like 2070 super or 2080 super, the specification (on Newegg) requires a 650W or greater PSU. However, some of the SFF build I came across uses a 600W PSU. Is there caveat in running a 2070/2080 super on 600W PSU despite the greater than 650W PSU requirement? (Purchased the PSU when on-sale but overlooked the GPU PSU requirements...)

Thanks in advance for your time if you happen to read this.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
You´ll be allright for sure.

Manufacturers say 650 w so anyone can go and buy the shittiest psu on the market and make de GPU work. You are perfectly fine with that 600w psu, I don´t know your model exactly but FSP is a good brand and should work just fine.

Take in mind that the 3700 + socket is not going to draw more than 150w even when overclocked, and even then, you´re going to have a hard time cooling it properly.
The 2070 super won´t go over 215 under normal situations and maybe 240 when overclocked.

So you have less than 400 w with the two main thing consuming electricity sucking up at the same time and this is given you overclock everything you can... you still have 200w left for the hard drives, (3-5w each? ssd) fans (2w each) maybe a waterpum (5-20w) RAM and the rest of the motherboard won´t be more than 100-120w.

Take in mind that this is a worst case scenario with everything working at 100% at the same time and overclocked. If you are just going to plug it and make it work as is or with minimal tuning, you have wattage to spare.

Reactions: icyfillup

icyfillup

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
You´ll be allright for sure.

Manufacturers say 650 w so anyone can go and buy the shittiest psu on the market and make de GPU work. You are perfectly fine with that 600w psu, I don´t know your model exactly but FSP is a good brand and should work just fine.

Take in mind that the 3700 + socket is not going to draw more than 150w even when overclocked, and even then, you´re going to have a hard time cooling it properly.
The 2070 super won´t go over 215 under normal situations and maybe 240 when overclocked.

So you have less than 400 w with the two main thing consuming electricity sucking up at the same time and this is given you overclock everything you can... you still have 200w left for the hard drives, (3-5w each? ssd) fans (2w each) maybe a waterpum (5-20w) RAM and the rest of the motherboard won´t be more than 100-120w.

Take in mind that this is a worst case scenario with everything working at 100% at the same time and overclocked. If you are just going to plug it and make it work as is or with minimal tuning, you have wattage to spare.
Thanks for the reply and info.

I was unsure about my PSU wattage meeting the GPU requirements and was not able to find a direct reason why 600W was alright for a 3700X and 2070 SUPER build.
I cannot think of any current workload or gaming I do that would accidentally push my build into a 100% power consumption, so I should be fine.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Paradyme

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2019
Thanks for the reply and info.

I was unsure about my PSU wattage meeting the GPU requirements and was not able to find a direct reason why 600W was alright for a 3700X and 2070 SUPER build.
I cannot think of any current workload or gaming I do that would accidentally push my build into a 100% power consumption, so I should be fine.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Not sure if this helps but my rule of thumb is to add 50% to the final wattage in PCPartPicker, and spec your PSU around there (so you're fine).
TDP/TBP is a bit of a bogus number at the moment so hardware reviews will give more accurate numbers under load.

Reactions: icyfillup

CaptainBigleux

Caliper Novice
Sep 9, 2019
I have more or less the same setup in a louqe ghost,
- 3700X
- aorus X570i pro wifi
- 2x 8go DDR4 corsair LPX 3600 cas 18
- PNY 2070 super blower
running with a corsair SF600 platinum. Absolutely no issue.
The PSU is dead silent 90% of the time, fan runing only while gaming and remains silent even then.

If you run the simulation on any PSU calculator you can fin on the web, you will find that 600W is way enough

Last edited:

icyfillup

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
Not sure if this helps but my rule of thumb is to add 50% to the final wattage in PCPartPicker, and spec your PSU around there (so you're fine).
TDP/TBP is a bit of a bogus number at the moment so hardware reviews will give more accurate numbers under load.
Any feedback is always helpful. I did not know what wattage to get for my PSU and was concern about the "recommended" 650W after purchasing my 600W. That rule of thumb seems like a good method to go by right now. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Paradyme