Can't get to POST, immediately shuts down

Mar 6, 2017
You can try getting a PSU tester on Amazon, but unless you have another computer you can test these parts in, your only other option would be to start RMAing stuff (starting with the MB).

Last edited:
Reactions: Craxas

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
I actually havn't tried another PSU, I'm hoping I can borrow a friend's PSU and RAM soon. If that doesn't work I'll start RMAing stuff, I was hoping to build this before I go back to college but it's not looking too good right now.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Alright...taking bets. I have $20 on the PSU!
damn, for me it is always the PSU i guess i can't second that. I am going to go with a short somewhere like with the backplate of the cpu or cpu is dead.

i had an issue with my z170 asus impact. My ek evo waterblock shorted the back somehow even though it was rubber touching. Had to do some gaffer's tape and done. Crappiest part was i took apart the system/ water cooling after filling it twice thinking i fixed it ahha. There went two days FML

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Is it possible that the mobo just needs more power for the post and first boot? The manual says that if the board isn't receiving 350W it might just not turn on at all. Maybe using another psu to get past post and after that my unit will work?

Mar 6, 2017
Is it possible that the mobo just needs more power for the post and first boot? The manual says that if the board isn't receiving 350W it might just not turn on at all. Maybe using another psu to get past post and after that my unit will work?

Doesn't hurt to try :p

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016

Try with a more powerful psu and if post lights still dont show its a bad board

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
@Josh | NFC Well it looks like you were right! I swapped out every part of system to test it then finally the PSU and it freaking worked. I'm currently sending the unit back to gury for repairs. I can't thank you guys enough for all the help and I've gotta say I'm super disappointed it was just the psu, but I'm glad that's over with. I honestly thought it was going to be my Craigslist SSD that would be broken but I guess not!

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
This board has a cold boot issue in my opinion when loading some XMP settings, I don't know exactly what causes it but the memory doesn't initialize. However if this is really the problem, it WILL let you boot after unplugging and replugging it in 3 times consecutively, after which it will POST in safe mode with the memory at 2133 mhz.

After entering the BIOS you can just exit and it will restart cleanly and load your higher RAM speeds on the reboot. It just has a problem loading the higher RAM speeds from cold boot.

Some other users encountered this here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/rog-strix-z270i-gaming-reviews-around-the-web.1924333/#post-1042921409

Reactions: Reldey and Craxas

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
This board has a cold boot issue in my opinion when loading some XMP settings, I don't know exactly what causes it but the memory doesn't initialize. However if this is really the problem, it WILL let you boot after unplugging and replugging it in 3 times consecutively, after which it will POST in safe mode with the memory at 2133 mhz.

After entering the BIOS you can just exit and it will restart cleanly and load your higher RAM speeds on the reboot. It just has a problem loading the higher RAM speeds from cold boot.

Some other users encountered this here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/rog-strix-z270i-gaming-reviews-around-the-web.1924333/#post-1042921409

Ahh, so that is what it was. I unplugged it and plugged it in 3 times and it worked for my 3200 mhz ram, and set it to 2133 mhz. Interesting.. thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Sorry to revive a dead post but it looks like there might be another issue? Gury tested the harness which he thought was the issue and it worked with the same Asus Z270i board as mine, but when I tried it it did this: https://streamable.com/wntm0

I tested the system with a standard ATX 450W PSU and it worked perfectly, so I'm extremely confused now

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Sorry to revive a dead post but it looks like there might be another issue? Gury tested the harness which he thought was the issue and it worked with the same Asus Z270i board as mine, but when I tried it it did this: https://streamable.com/wntm0

I tested the system with a standard ATX 450W PSU and it worked perfectly, so I'm extremely confused now

If the wiring harness is working, maybe it is the brick?

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Sorry to revive a dead post but I just got my new unit from G-Unique and now I'm having a different issue. Gury has been so nice and sent me a new unit to test to make sure it would work and I rewired the entire unit, and it worked perfectly, but only once. Once I had put the computer to sleep it wouldn't turn on again, and I tried unplugging the PSU and plugging it back in but now nothing is happening except the motherboard lights are still running through their cycles and when I press the power button nothing happens. None of the peripherals are getting power either.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Does it get a red LED on boot?

If you hard cycle the power, plug back in and boot, and repeat this 3 times in a row after it gets the red LED... then what happens?

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Super confused again because I unplugged everything and left it alone overnight and in the morning I turned it on and I was magically ok, I even shut it down and powered it on again and it was fine, but this afternoon I shut it down and now it won't turn on again...

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Super confused again because I unplugged everything and left it alone overnight and in the morning I turned it on and I was magically ok, I even shut it down and powered it on again and it was fine, but this afternoon I shut it down and now it won't turn on again...
I am sure it is problem in the motherboard, but i cant explain why it will sometimes boot and sometimes not. Maybe try returning it or send it for RMA.