Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Hi, I'm doing a NFC S4 Mini build and got an issue:

Mobo: Asus STRIX Z270i
PSU: HDPLEX400 + Dell 330W Brick
CPU: i7-7700K + Noctua NH-L9i
RAM: Vegeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

When I switch the powerpower on at the wall, the motherboard RGB LED's light up instantly, the orange motherboard light comes on (IIRC this is signalling it's accepting power).

If I try to jump the board with the two power pins, nothing happens. If I attach a switch and press it, nothing happens. No CPU fan spinning or anything like that.

Could someone please confirm which pins the power is, and whether this could be a sign I've bricked something?

All power cables look to be in the right place.

Thanks a lot

Martix50

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2017
from this state try to disconnect the power cable, wait 5 seconds, reconnect it and try to power the system on. does it work ? do this without disconnecting the power brick from the wall ...

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Hi, I'm doing a NFC S4 Mini build and got an issue:

Mobo: Asus STRIX Z270i
PSU: HDPLEX400 + Dell 330W Brick
CPU: i7-7700K + Noctua NH-L9i
RAM: Vegeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

When I switch the powerpower on at the wall, the motherboard RGB LED's light up instantly, the orange motherboard light comes on (IIRC this is signalling it's accepting power).

If I try to jump the board with the two power pins, nothing happens. If I attach a switch and press it, nothing happens. No CPU fan spinning or anything like that.

Could someone please confirm which pins the power is, and whether this could be a sign I've bricked something?

All power cables look to be in the right place.

Thanks a lot

Neil

imnar

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
from this state try to disconnect the power cable, wait 5 seconds, reconnect it and try to power the system on. does it work ? do this without disconnecting the power brick from the wall ...

Should the RGB LED's always come on instantly? Because it's an HDPLEX 400, there's no switch to turn the psu on/off, so I'm guessing it's just permanently on standby as long as it's receiving power from the brick?

Martix50

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2017

https://uk.store.asus.com/media/cat...496374d01ef2bf13/9/0/90MB0SD0-M0EAY0_1._1.jpg

If I have a switch that slots onto 2 pins for the power, could you highlight which ones on that picture I need to connect it to? Your diagram seems different, but I think I'm just confused haha.

the first 2 pins from top right. the ones that say "PWR BTN" on the image.

Should the RGB LED's always come on instantly? Because it's an HDPLEX 400, there's no switch to turn the psu on/off, so I'm guessing it's just permanently on standby as long as it's receiving power from the brick?

When you first insert the power plug the RGB will turn on, then you would turn on your computer and then when you turn it off the RGBs should turn off.

is your PC booting at all ?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
When you have it plugged into the mains, there should be an orange LED on the HDPLEX, and orange LED on the boards (somewhere near the bottom of the ram slots) and the RGB LEDs should also come on*.

When the system is on, there should be a blue LED on the HDPLEX. The RGB LEDs remain on*.

*This assumes that the BIOS is at defualt settings, as you have the option of turning the RGB LEDs off.

imnar

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
When you have it plugged into the mains, there should be an orange LED on the HDPLEX, and orange LED on the boards (somewhere near the bottom of the ram slots) and the RGB LEDs should also come on*.

When the system is on, there should be a blue LED on the HDPLEX. The RGB LEDs remain on*.

*This assumes that the BIOS is at defualt settings, as you have the option of turning the RGB LEDs off.

the first 2 pins from top right. the ones that say "PWR BTN" on the image.

When you first insert the power plug the RGB will turn on, then you would turn on your computer and then when you turn it off the RGBs should turn off.

is your PC booting at all ?

Orange LED on the power supply and the motherboard. Shorting the pins doesn't change anything at all.

I've taken all the power cables out and put them back in. Tried unplugging GPU power cables and powering it, tried unplugging CPU power cables and powering it, still the same LEDs and no action when shorted.

What else could I try? I'm really confused what the problem could be.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Unfortunately it looks like there probably is a hardware failure or something is not installed properly

Remove the GPU completely.

Try running on one stick of RAM.
If no boot try the other stick of RAM in the same slot.
No boot, try that same stick in the other slot.
No boot - RAM is probably OK, check CPU install.

Would probably try another motherboard. If none of the above gets you booting/

inaaront

What's an ITX?
Jun 29, 2018
Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem. Pretty sure it's not a hardware failure in my case because the whole setup works just fine with an sfx PSU.

UPDATE: Got the HDplex to boot a different system, one with possibly lower TDP. Guess I have to swap out my mobo + CPU for something more efficient :/

Last edited:

imnar

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem. Pretty sure it's not a hardware failure in my case because the whole setup works just fine with an sfx PSU.

UPDATE: Got the HDplex to boot a different system, one with possibly lower TDP. Guess I have to swap out my mobo + CPU for something more efficient :/

Sorry, I should've updated the thread.

It was a faulty PSU, and HDPLEX sent me a new one instead.

Steedsofwar

Chassis Packer
Oct 14, 2018
Sorry, I should've updated the thread.

It was a faulty PSU, and HDPLEX sent me a new one instead.
Imnar, was your power brick fine? Did you reuse the same power brick? Only switching out the internal 24pin plugin module?

I am having the same issue with a Pico 160xt. But my power brick is 156w and doesn't match the 160w of the Pico. Will this cause an issue? My system only has a 2400g, 2x 4gb Ram, and two 40mm noctua case fans. No LED strips or GPU. One 2.5" 256gb SSD. That's it. The wattage this system should sip is max 120w. AsRock b450 fatality mobo.

I have managed to boot into BIOS just fine by ripping out the power cables from my main machine and transplanting the mini itx board manually. No issues at all. So I'm guessing it's my 156w power brick by Leicke or my Pico 160xt. I just dunno which one. Or if these two components are incompatible.