Can a 200mm rad cool 700w?

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
You folks need t take that decidedly non-SFF stuff elsewhere...! ;^p

200mm isn't sff?
It fits almost perfectly over m-itx + flex atx psu turned sideways.
I'm thinking stack gpu (or 2x single slot gpus ;) ) over motherboard via 90 degree riser (backwards from the normal ones, so it lays over the motherboard instead of next to it), waterblock everything, and put a 200mm rad on top. With a standard 30mm thick fan all put in a box I have a mini-itx board with cardsupport up to ~9 inches (so 2x zotac 1080 ti articstorms?!!! ) coming out to about 9 liters, which is a liter smaller than the node 202 and much better cooling. I've only ever seen half length card + 80/120mm rad in that.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
200mm isn't sff?
It fits almost perfectly over m-itx + flex atx psu turned sideways.
I'm thinking stack gpu (or 2x single slot gpus ;) ) over motherboard via 90 degree riser (backwards from the normal ones, so it lays over the motherboard instead of next to it), waterblock everything, and put a 200mm rad on top. With a standard 30mm thick fan all put in a box I have a mini-itx board with cardsupport up to ~9 inches (so 2x zotac 1080 ti articstorms?!!! ) coming out to about 9 liters, which is a liter smaller than the node 202 and much better cooling. I've only ever seen half length card + 80/120mm rad in that.

Now take into consideration that you need a pump & reservoir in the system, and proper tubing runs for all that, and space for proper airflow over the motherboard (your RAM & SB & VRM are still air-cooled), and space for proper airflow thru the radiator; I would think it would end up with a package larger than 9 liters.

But I am sure it could be done in under 20 liters, which is the top end in volume for SFF...

and my "non-SFF" comment was more directed towards the dual 200mm radiator, that would definitely push the boundaries of what might be considered SFF...

Last edited:

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Yeah, haha, went off on a bit of a tangent there. I was just surprised they even made them that big, 230mm rad when?

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Now take into consideration that you need a pump & reservoir in the system, and proper tubing runs for all that, and space for proper airflow over the motherboard (your RAM & SB & VRM are still air-cooled), and space for proper airflow thru the radiator; I would think it would end up with a package larger than 9 liters.

But I am sure it could be done in under 20 liters, which is the top end in volume for SFF...

and my "non-SFF" comment was more directed towards the dual 200mm radiator, that would definitely push the boundaries of what might be considered SFF...

On the contrary I've got the d5 pump squeezed in some of the extra space next to the motherboard and tubing would be super easy, everything is basically in a line for you already as I've got it modelled. As for reservoir... I'd probably leave it out. The 200mm rad is frikin huge and has a fill port on the far end from the other ports. I'd just use it as the res.
Some clever positioning of exhaust vents could get some motherboard airflow or maybe I could go all out for a vram and chipset custom water block.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
OK so...

The size of the radiator is in the ballpark for a 700W exchanger, but it only has 12FPI, which is probably necessary for any 200mm fan to get decent flow through it. I can tell you that you probably need closer to 20FPI to cool 700w with those dimensions.

That being said, are you really looking at pushing a constant 700W? Are you full coverage cooling? I can't answer if it will keep your components from throttling because your unit is watts. If you tell me your hardware I can take a guess.

If you are looking at an i9 + dual 1080ti setup then it should hold, but don't plan on any overclocking.

Reactions: Elerek

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
A 200x200mm rad is about the same surface area as a 140x280mm rad (Alphacool XT45 is ~170W heat dissipation @ 1250rpm), but probably a bit better because of smaller dead spots.

So it can probably just about cool a 700W system to a point where there's no thermal throttling, but don't expect good temps.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
OK so...

The size of the radiator is in the ballpark for a 700W exchanger, but it only has 12FPI, which is probably necessary for any 200mm fan to get decent flow through it. I can tell you that you probably need closer to 20FPI to cool 700w with those dimensions.

That being said, are you really looking at pushing a constant 700W? Are you full coverage cooling? I can't answer if it will keep your components from throttling because your unit is watts. If you tell me your hardware I can take a guess.

If you are looking at an i9 + dual 1080ti setup then it should hold, but don't plan on any overclocking.

I was thinking gen 2 1800x (or threadripper on the 1% chance someone ever makes a TR4 itx board...) and dual zotac 1080ti mini articstorm cards. It certainly wouldn't be at 700w all the time, but it would be for probably several hours at a time. The cards would need to be full coverage if there were 2 of them, since they'd have to be single slot. This is just a pipe dream build for now though, no way I can afford all that at the moment... I'm just having fun mocking up cases.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
One of the main questions here is what fan are you going to use? There would be enough surface area there and i think when paired with a good fan it could cool your setup pretty good.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I assume I'd go with the Noctua NF-A20 PWM.
It has enough static pressure for your rad, but have you considered 180MM rad. There are lot more fan and radiator options.

Why 180MM will be enough?

Because of the fact that even a 240mm radiator handled two 1080 TIs and I7 7700K in project Orthrus and 180mm rad has 12.5% more surface area, plus when paired with Silverstone AP182 it will provide more than enough airflow and static pressure. For rad i would recommend EK WE180, because it is perfect balance between thickness and performance.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
It has enough static pressure for your rad, but have you considered 180MM rad. There are lot more fan and radiator options.

Why 180MM will be enough?

Because of the fact that even a 240mm radiator handled two 1080 TIs and I7 7700K in project Orthrus and 180mm rad has 12.5% more surface area, plus when paired with Silverstone AP182 it will provide more than enough airflow and static pressure. For rad i would recommend EK WE180, because it is perfect balance between thickness and performance.

I can look into it I guess, but 200mm fits better over the build as I have it modeled and would probably be quieter

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Necro post inbound...

So, thoughts as towards the viability of the Phobya 200mm (45mm thick), with a Noctua NF-A20 PWM fan in push, for 135w TDP CPU & 295w TDP GPU...?!?

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Necro post inbound...

So, thoughts as towards the viability of the Phobya 200mm (45mm thick), with a Noctua NF-A20 PWM fan in push, for 135w TDP CPU & 295w TDP GPU...?!?

Your question isn't that simple to asnwer.

A 200mm radiator has almost the same area as a 480mm rad. So, yes, 400-500w it can do.

At the same time, what matters is not the amount of heat that you will be removing... BUT the amount of heat AND the temperature differential (Delta).

Do you plan to game with your system? Or do you plan tasks that involve stressing both cpu and gpu for long periods of time? Do you plan to overclock?