Can a 200mm rad cool 700w?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
...the amount of heat AND the temperature differential (Delta).

Ambient room temp is between 20 & 25 Celsius...

Do you plan to game with your system? Or do you plan tasks that involve stressing both cpu and gpu for long periods of time? Do you plan to overclock?

Gaming = Yes
Stress (3D / Video) = Yes
Overclocking = Nothing past max stock boosts

Thanks...!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I can tell you that you can probably skate by just fine, but it may not be enough for sustained loads without cranking up your fan speed.

My experiences with #77 have shown me that a dual 50mm rad can handle a 6700t (around 45 watts) and a 750ti (75 watts, but power unlocked so it could be higher). Typical draw while gaming was around 145 watts or so which would seem about right.

If my dinky radiator can handle that heat for a couple hours, you should be alright.

Also, adding thermal mass to the system helps! I have a crapton of fittings, which absorb a lot of the heat. Using large diameter tubing has the same effect, adding more water to soak up the heat before the radiator sinks it.

Reactions: Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
So now I have a 12 liter chassis roughed out (cardboard mockup of major component "bounding boxes") & I have to figure out how to actually put it together (like the frame & panels & stuff), plus plumbing it might be kind of puzzling...

Looking at 270mm x 210mm x 210mm (including 15mm tall feet) H x W x D; slightly larger, but very Apple G4 Cube in proportions...

CPU would be an 95w TDP 8c/16t Ryzen & GPU would be a 180w TDP Vega 56 (PowerColor Vega 56 Nano or Sapphire Pulse Vega 56, preferably the latter)...

So, probably 300w MAX (gaming / rendering / encoding) in day-to-day usage...

Two Noctua NF-S12A PWM fans on front as intake (filtered, of course), positioned to left side of front panel, centered top to bottom...

Venting on left side panel, about 160mm x 60mm, long dim on the vertical, to back of panel; this is for venting for the M.2 SSD(s)...

Air comes in from front mounted 120mm fan, some goes under motherboard & only way out is venting at back of left side panel, thereby cooling any backside mounted M.2 SSDs...?

Motherboard is inverted vertical mount (so, left side of chassis), with pump / CPU water block combo (Alphacool Solo LT or Fr33Flow)...

GPU to top of the chassis, full-cover water block (Bykski or Alphacool) to make it a single slot solution......

SFX PSU below motherboard (Corsair SF450 Platinum, with custom length cables) & has filtered intake...

Phobya 200mmm radiator exhausting on right side of chassis, Noctua NF-A20 PWM fan in push...

All three Noctua fans would be the chromax.swap.black models (A20 model forthcoming)...

Before any internal frame / external panels / feet / etc., the "component mass" is 9.75 liters (245mm x 200mm x 199mm / H x W x D), I am figuring a 10mm expansion (okay, 11mm in the Depth) in dims to skin it all...

Thinking of CNC machined parts; corner uprights that interface with a base plate, fastened by screwing on the feet...

Panels that slide into place on all four sides, top drops in & is held by magnets (little "crescent moon" cut in top of back panel to allow one to get a fingertip on the top panel for removal...

I wonder as to the exterior finish on the left side panel with the motherboard standoffs being fastened to the inside of said panel...?

Remove top panel to fill & bleed cooling loop, hole machined in bottom panel to access drain port...

Hey @Necere, any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated...!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So now I have a 12 liter chassis roughed out (cardboard mockup of major component "bounding boxes") & I have to figure out how to actually put it together (like the frame & panels & stuff), plus plumbing it might be kind of puzzling...

Looking at 270mm x 210mm x 210mm (including 15mm tall feet) H x W x D; slightly larger, but very Apple G4 Cube in proportions...

CPU would be an 95w TDP 8c/16t Ryzen & GPU would be a 180w TDP Vega 56 (PowerColor Vega 56 Nano or Sapphire Pulse Vega 56, preferably the latter)...

So, probably 300w MAX (gaming / rendering / encoding) in day-to-day usage...

Two Noctua NF-S12A PWM fans on front as intake (filtered, of course), positioned to left side of front panel, centered top to bottom...

Venting on left side panel, about 160mm x 60mm, long dim on the vertical, to back of panel; this is for venting for the M.2 SSD(s)...

Air comes in from front mounted 120mm fan, some goes under motherboard & only way out is venting at back of left side panel, thereby cooling any backside mounted M.2 SSDs...?

Motherboard is inverted vertical mount (so, left side of chassis), with pump / CPU water block combo (Alphacool Solo LT or Fr33Flow)...

GPU to top of the chassis, full-cover water block (Bykski or Alphacool) to make it a single slot solution......

SFX PSU below motherboard (Corsair SF450 Platinum, with custom length cables) & has filtered intake...

Phobya 200mmm radiator exhausting on right side of chassis, Noctua NF-A20 PWM fan in push...

All three Noctua fans would be the chromax.swap.black models (A20 model forthcoming)...

Before any internal frame / external panels / feet / etc., the "component mass" is 9.75 liters (245mm x 200mm x 199mm / H x W x D), I am figuring a 10mm expansion (okay, 11mm in the Depth) in dims to skin it all...

Thinking of CNC machined parts; corner uprights that interface with a base plate, fastened by screwing on the feet...

Panels that slide into place on all four sides, top drops in & is held by magnets (little "crescent moon" cut in top of back panel to allow one to get a fingertip on the top panel for removal...

I wonder as to the exterior finish on the left side panel with the motherboard standoffs being fastened to the inside of said panel...?

Remove top panel to fill & bleed cooling loop, hole machined in bottom panel to access drain port...

Hey @Necere, any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated...!
This look about right?

Layout seems okay to me. Might be a bit of a challenge hooking up the loop, but nothing too bad if you factor in some slack.

Reactions: Boil and Biowarejak

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
This look about right?

Layout seems okay to me. Might be a bit of a challenge hooking up the loop, but nothing too bad if you factor in some slack.

Dude, you are awesome...!

Would love to pick your brain on a few things at some point...!

Yeah, the plumbing would be rough...

I actually have moved on from that idea, went to a 180mm radiator similar to above, but for APU only, with two of the 100mm x 12mm Scythe fans up front...

I did not like that at all...

Then I went to a "what can I get above an ITX motherboard?" APU build...

That was settling on a 120mm radiator, until I realized the Pico-style portion of the PSU setup (HDPlex 160 watt AC-DC & KMPKT Dynamo Mini DC-ATX) extends past the motherboard PCB, so I said "eff it" and went with a 8 liter "bounding box" (200mm x 200mm x 190mm, plus 10mm tall feet) that can hold a 140mm radiator...

There will also be an option for air-cooled (with the forthcoming revised Noctua NH-C14x) that will fill the same space as the water-cooled setup...

And without the GPU, no issues with plumbing at all...

I am currently drawing up the various parts of the chassis & labeling with dimensions so my kid can run it thru Inventor...

Then we will run some prototypes on the 3d printer & then see about a metal prototype (he has access to the machine shop at school)...

I am looking at it as a high-end APU build...

Machined top & bottom plates, extruded outer shell, three inner brackets with a single 90 degree bend in each...

Perfect for living room PC enthusiasts or budget esport gamers...!

Or just a nice compact desktop machine for the computing things the vast majority of folks do day to day; surf the web, watch videos, email, office productivity, etc. ...

Should also be great for video editing, Photoshop, graphic design, CAD work, etc. ...

And the target APU, the forthcoming Ryzen 5 3600G with 8 cores & 16 threads, should be great for encoding & streaming...

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak