Log Brickless B550 mini-ITX Ryzen5-4650G

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I am logging this build as a viewable or downloadable Brickless B550 mini-ITX Ryzen5-4650G PDF file with high-resolution pictures.

Try clicking the PDF file link (above) if you would like to view the build log with high resolution pictures. Tip: When viewing in a PDF Reader find the -/+ controls at the bottom of your window and expand the PDF file for better views of the high resolution photos.

Components:
  • $157 GIGABYTE B550I AORUS Pro AX Socket AM4 AMD (B550IAORUSAX)*
  • $74 K39 Case (47mm CPU cooler height)
  • $28 (server/Flex-ATX PSU), Delta DPS-350AB-12A/Intel FHJT350HEPS 350W Power Supply
  • $242 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G 6-core, 12-Thread
  • $69 2x8GB of the purple ADATA PC DDR4 2666MHz VLP-RAM (very-low-profile)
  • $157 Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe
  • $70 Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile CPU Cooler - 120mm
  • $20 Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM, Premium Quiet Slim Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown) 120x120x15 mm, 12V, 4-pin PWM, max. 1850 RPM, max. 23.9 dB(A)
  • $9 Noctua NM-AM4-L9aL9i, Mounting Kit
  • $825 *approximate Total w/discount for new credit-card signup

Last edited:

ikara

Chassis Packer
Oct 12, 2020
Thank you very much for the tutorial. It's really nice.
Have you set a custom gpu memory via bios?

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
No I haven't yet looked into allocation of memory to GPU. I will add that to my list.

With this build I went to a single mass storage/NVMe decice. Usually I build with two devices and limit the size of C: to Windows 10-only and use Disk Cleanup to keep it small. Then I use the builtin Windows image-Backup/Restore to quickly restore previous versions of Windows OS in case something gets corrupted.

For this build I have only one NVMe drive and was planning to do without image backup/restore. But I miss it too much so I ordered a second NVMe 1TB drive.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Really neat little build and great log!

You could also look into powering it with the Meanwell 120w AC/DC unit, as it is much smaller than a FlexATX power supply.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks, I appreciate the work being done with the Meanwell 120w AC/DC PSU. Yep, that was one of the first PSUs that I looked at. But I had some issues for this specific build:
  • It requires additional "pico PSU" parts to connect to the motherboard.
  • The pico PSU may not fit some case/motherboard combinations without removing the Pico PSU heatsink.
  • It requires crimping or buying pre-crimped cables to connect to pico PSU.
  • The Meanwell's smallness requires an extra C14/part and extra case space to connect to wall AC power.
  • Yikes, the Meanwell PSU is open without a protective cover, maybe for heat dissipation? I dunno??
The Meanwell was going to end up being much more costly than my $28 used (server/Flex-ATX PSU) which fits nicely in the bottom of the K39 case held in place by two common screws/no metal mods or holes to drill. There is a little extra room at the end of the PSU for coiling the excess length of the 24-pin ATX power cable. Aside from starting with a howl during a brief full-speed fan test, the PSU runs silently for this APU build.

However/Caution/AFAIK: Server/Flex-ATX PSUs can end up being too fan-noisy for home use. This PSU runs silently in my APU build but may get fan-noisy in a gaming build that draws more power.

eta> Here's an image of the two-cable simplicity that I ended up with. Just install the ITX motherboard and Voila, the two cables (24-pin ATX power and 8-pin EPS motherboard power) are right where you need them;

Last edited:

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
For this build I have only one NVMe drive and was planning to do without image backup/restore. But I miss it too much so I ordered a second NVMe 1TB drive.
Now I have two (1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD V-NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0/Gen3) drives. I moved my Libraries (Documents, Pictures, Music) to the second/backup drive. Now the only thing that resides on Drive C: is Windows 10 OS and the software/Apps that I have installed.

I used the Disk Cleanup Tool with the (clean up system files option) to whittle down the contents of C: drive to 34GB and proceeded to use the Windows builtin image Backup/Restore tools to test the procedure for reverting back to a previous version of Windows OS plus installed software.

WOW!! It is fast, about 1 minute and 45 seconds to backup an entire system image of the 34GB C: drive. Restore is even faster, about 45 seconds to restore a previously backed-up image.

Now I can load whatever software without worrying about future implications/trial versions/viruses/etc. Soon I will resume testing my memory timings for this build.

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Aside from starting with a howl during a brief full-speed fan test, the PSU runs silently for this APU build.
Nice to 'hear' you've found a silent Flex PSU!

Will look forward for your memory timings and allocation as I am doing an AMD APU build too.