Bought delidded CPU, excess glue attaching the IHS to the PCB?

geogga

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Jul 22, 2016
Hi SFF Forum,

I recently bought a used 8700k that was delidded and lapped. Before shipping, he re-opened the CPU and reapplied the liquid metal and silicon glue. When I received it today, I noticed it had quite a bit of excess silicon glue as a result from squeezing the cpu + IHS. Is this considered excess and could it potentially cause a problem? I can fit a folded paper between the gap (~0.1mm) but not triple folded (0.15mm?) IIRC a big factor of decreasing temperature from delidding is from decreasing the distance between the IHS and CPU. One way to do that is through using thin TIM like liquid metal as opposed to Intel's thick TIM. The other, using a thin glue or none at all?

The previous owner claimed an overclock of 5.1 GHz at 1.38V with a temp of 65C on his H100i v2 (probably in an ATX case). A mITX and U9S user on pcpartpicker with a 5.2GHz OC got 68C under gaming and low-mid 70 under synthetic bench so I will probably use that as comparison when I report back on Friday when I get my motherboard.

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hi

I noticed it had quite a bit of excess silicon glue as a result from squeezing the cpu + IHS. Is this considered excess and could it potentially cause a problem?
He used way too much glue indeed, but that won't hurt anything (except our eyes ;)) if the IHS is in contact with the CPU die.

I can fit a folded paper between the gap (~0.1mm) but not triple folded (0.15mm?) IIRC a big factor of decreasing temperature from delidding is from decreasing the distance between the IHS and CPU. One way to do that is through using thin TIM like liquid metal as opposed to Intel's thick TIM. The other, using a thin glue or none at all?
What gap? (I can not see your first pic.)
From what I tried, you can relid the IHS or let it free. But if you relid it, the glue should not prevent the IHS from being in contact with the CPU die.
However, the IHS is not supposed to touch the PCB when it is laying on the die:

BTW, the lapping could be much improved to mirror finish!

Reactions: BrotherStein

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
He was a bit generous with it lol but I wouldn’t worry. I bought mine from silicon lottery and while not as much, was still visible. Try it and if it doesn’t work send it back or seek recourse.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
He was a bit generous with it lol but I wouldn’t worry. I bought mine from silicon lottery and while not as much, was still visible. Try it and if it doesn’t work send it back or seek recourse.