Best CPU fan for S4 Mini?

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
I just basically finished my S4 Mini build, and I'm running a i5 7600K, but it gets pretty hot under heavy load (Witcher 3 on Ultra settings) and it seems to be hitting around 75-80 degrees occasionally (auto boosting till around 4.4GHz), but it normally hovers around 63-68 degrees. I have a Noctua L9i on it, which I know isn't designed to handle that much heat but is this safe...? Is there a better fan I could replace my current one with to cool it down? Would a 120mm fan on top of the Noctua fan work/help?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I just basically finished my S4 Mini build, and I'm running a i5 7600K, but it gets pretty hot under heavy load (Witcher 3 on Ultra settings) and it seems to be hitting around 75-80 degrees occasionally (auto boosting till around 4.4GHz), but it normally hovers around 63-68 degrees. I have a Noctua L9i on it, which I know isn't designed to handle that much heat but is this safe...? Is there a better fan I could replace my current one with to cool it down? Would a 120mm fan on top of the Noctua fan work/help?

Hello, rchetal.

I'd love to have others chime in but meanwhile I have two short answers for you. Firstly, those temperatures are normal for your setup playing Witcher 3. They are also totally safe, and I wouldn't even consider them high--especially considering we are in the dead of summer.

Secondly, you can't fit a 25mm fan on top of the L9i in the S4 MINI. You can buy more powerful fans that will fit, but the fan you have is one of the best in terms of performance and noise, so I would recommend you keep it, especially since your temperatures are absolutely fine.

Peace to you and happy gaming!

Reactions: Biowarejak

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
As Josh said, these temps are normal. If you want to have them lower, you should consider delliding. Then you can lower temps by up to 25 C.

Reactions: Biowarejak

rchetal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Thanks so much for the advice! I just want this setup to last for a while and was worried it might hurt performance and longevity. If it gets bad enough I guess I'll consider delidding, I just don't want to void my warranty yet

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Secondly, you can't fit a 25mm fan on top of the L9i in the S4 MINI. You can buy more powerful fans that will fit, but the fan you have is one of the best in terms of performance and noise, so I would recommend you keep it, especially since your temperatures are absolutely fine.

Haven't you, Josh, showed in several videos that you can put a slim scythe fan ontop of the L9i inside the S4 mini? Or have you in fact been replacing the Noctua fan with the scythe fan?

Could you not swap out the 90 mm fan and add the Noctua 120 mm 1.5 mm thick fan? Should vastly improve cooling.

Also, I would consider lowering the OC to 4.2. Should also reduce thermal output quite a lot.