robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
@robbee hope you've been well.

Any update on plans for the case?
Hey griever, been busy with some other things last weeks so not a lot yet to share. I'm gonna try to make more time for this project again the coming week.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So here we go, let's open the source!

I'm still working on documentation, it's a lot more work then I thought to present it in a clear way. But the file required for printing and cutting are ready and people who'd like to start working on this case can do so already. You can find the source files here: https://github.com/robbe-dc/Basalt

Anything unclear or not sure how to use github? Feel free to ask!

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Thank you, Robbee! I can't wait to build this with the kiddos!

One Question I have has to do with the I/O model you used. I've linked to the model I believe you used, but what is the cable length you used?
AliExpress Front i/o

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Thank you, Robbee! I can't wait to build this with the kiddos!

One Question I have has to do with the I/O model you used. I've linked to the model I believe you used, but what is the cable length you used?
AliExpress Front i/o

Hey Griever, you should take the shortest one (40cm), which is still kind of long if your USB header is next to your ram slots. There should be enough room next to the PSU to put the exces cable though. Have fun building and make sure to redownload the files once you get around to print or cut as I'm still tweaking things as I write the documentation!

The assembly documentation is about finished by now, just have to make the preparations guide now: https://github.com/robbe-dc/Basalt/blob/main/docs/ASSEMBLY.md

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
How did I miss this?! o_O
Only stumbled on your thread the last week-end!

Congrats, once again a really well made case!
Really nice!

I had first some doubts about the rounded corners and the space they are eating, but you still managed to stay under 10 liters, impressive!
And the ADT-link DP extension rocks!

I was however expecting a piece of basalt for the power button, but the Lego is also a nice find! XD

I redesigned the part that holds the gpu to also hold the top of the motherboard. This holds the GPU into place better and makes the whole thing very sturdy. It's also easier to route cables in the top of the case like this.
It would be great if that holding part could be made of two pieces, for more compatibility with other GPU lengths.
One part holding the GPU to the two corners' rail as you did, and a second one attached to it and supporting the motherboard. The two parts being able to slide apart from each other.
Hmm I actually don't really see how to do so but...

So here we go, let's open the source!

I'm still working on documentation, it's a lot more work then I thought to present it in a clear way. But the file required for printing and cutting are ready and people who'd like to start working on this case can do so already. You can find the source files here: https://github.com/robbe-dc/Basalt

Anything unclear or not sure how to use github? Feel free to ask!
Thanks a bunch! 🍺
Your build is inspiring, I will probably grab some of your ideas for my 'almost stalled' CoolerCase prototype once I'll get back to it.
Shouldn't be too hard to adapt your parts to 10mm Makerbeam profiles!

Oh, and may I ask some buy link for the the HDPlex riser?

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
How did I miss this?! o_O
Only stumbled on your thread the last week-end!

Congrats, once again a really well made case!
Really nice!

Hey, thanks!!

It would be great if that holding part could be made of two pieces, for more compatibility with other GPU lengths.
One part holding the GPU to the two corners' rail as you did, and a second one attached to it and supporting the motherboard. The two parts being able to slide apart from each other.
Hmm I actually don't really see how to do so but...

Yeah, I only found out last weekend that those GPU screw holes are actually standardised server mounting holes so it would be a good idea to offer an optional separate support part for it as many Nvidia cards seem to come with those screw holes.

1618303271280.png

EDIT: forgot to answer your last question:

Oh, and may I ask some buy link for the the HDPlex riser?

Last edited:
Reactions: BaK

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Very good design. I have one question, where did you buy those filters?

They're easy to find on Aliexpress if you look for 'pvc dust filter', eg: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005001758519823.html

So I've been looking around for some more pictures of those screw holes in the back of the GPU and it looks like there are actually a lot of models that have them. So far, I've found that current reference and Nvidia AIB GPU's all come with it. This is very good news as it allows for easier and sturdier mounting of vertical GPU's. I'll design something more universal next.

Reactions: morj

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
May I ask that you add dimensional data to the git for the panels? While uploading the .ai files to a few different manufacturers it seems they didn't read the length, width, depth and I had to give a best estimate. Naturally those measurements should be spot on before ordering it. 😁

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
May I ask that you add dimensional data to the git for the panels? While uploading the .ai files to a few different manufacturers it seems they didn't read the length, width, depth and I had to give a best estimate. Naturally those measurements should be spot on before ordering it. 😁

I've added the dimensions to the readme files. All panels should be cut from 3mm thick acrylic or wood. Both the AI and PDF files contain the drawing with dimensions in millimeters so the manufactureres should be able to read that, even if the software on their website doesn't.

I've committed a change to the top panel today that shifts the top fan by .5mm for better compatibility. You may want to redownload that part before uploading it.

I have also added a new optional part for mounting the rear of the gpu to the case. The screw hole spacing wasn't consistent across GPU models so I made a universal bracket. For more info, refer to https://github.com/robbe-dc/Basalt/tree/main/parts/optional/gpu holder

1618414035397.png

Reactions: BaK

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Very good.The flexible GPU brace is a nice touch.

I've ordered some components to begin construction. This will take several weeks from what I've been told due to the pandemic. I'm going to wait to order side panels because once I receive the extruded aluminum I will attempt to cut/file 3mm of the inner section, so the top panel fits flush. If it works I can see about laser cut panels that are 3mm longer. Hopefully this will hide the horizontal seam between the top and front panels. This assumes there is 3mm of additional clearance for the whole top panel/fan assembly to be lowered by a like amount.

Robbee did you need to tap the threads for the aluminum extrusions yourself?

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Very good.The flexible GPU brace is a nice touch.

I've ordered some components to begin construction. This will take several weeks from what I've been told due to the pandemic. I'm going to wait to order side panels because once I receive the extruded aluminum I will attempt to cut/file 3mm of the inner section, so the top panel fits flush. If it works I can see about laser cut panels that are 3mm longer. Hopefully this will hide the horizontal seam between the top and front panels. This assumes there is 3mm of additional clearance for the whole top panel/fan assembly to be lowered by a like amount.

Robbee did you need to tap the threads for the aluminum extrusions yourself?

If you mean that you want to recess the top panel into the case, there's a couple of things you need to be aware of:

- You will need to change the shape of the top panel to fit between the other panels
- There is not enough clearance at the top for the fan to drop 3mm, but you could make up for that by ordering extrusions which are 3mm longer and also extending the side, front and back panel by 3mm.
- Filing the extrusions will be a tedious job. You may want to try to cut it with a dremel or hole saw

I had the manufacturer tap the extrusions because they have machines to align the tap perfectly. It cost an extra 1 euro per extrusion, which isn't a lot.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I've added the dimensions to the readme files. All panels should be cut from 3mm thick acrylic or wood. Both the AI and PDF files contain the drawing with dimensions in millimeters so the manufactureres should be able to read that, even if the software on their website doesn't.
Looking at the .skp right now, so cool! :cool:

I have also added a new optional part for mounting the rear of the gpu to the case. The screw hole spacing wasn't consistent across GPU models so I made a universal bracket. For more info, refer to https://github.com/robbe-dc/Basalt/tree/main/parts/optional/gpu holder

View attachment 1013
Nicely done! :thumb:
Dissociating the GPU from the motherboard support seems indeed to be the best option.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Dissociating the GPU from the motherboard support seems indeed to be the best option.

Yeah, my personal versions has a couple of differences with the version in github due to parts that only work with my specific hardware. The GPU and motherboard sharing a mount is one of them.

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
If you mean that you want to recess the top panel into the case, there's a couple of things you need to be aware of:

- You will need to change the shape of the top panel to fit between the other panels
- There is not enough clearance at the top for the fan to drop 3mm, but you could make up for that by ordering extrusions which are 3mm longer and also extending the side, front and back panel by 3mm.
- Filing the extrusions will be a tedious job. You may want to try to cut it with a dremel or hole saw

I had the manufacturer tap the extrusions because they have machines to align the tap perfectly. It cost an extra 1 euro per extrusion, which isn't a lot.
Thanks, I wasn’t certain of the clearance issue.

On another note: how do you feel about the gap between the I/O shield and the rear panel? I have a proposal with the goal of moving the motherboard/PSU back ~ 3-6mm. It would then sit evenly against the rear panel.

I understand it is now necessary because the motherboard there will collide with the "motherboard bottom back" component, but I would like to know what you think about if it is feasible to solve that issue by turning the rear panel into a structural component that screws in instead of by attach by magnets.

This could be done by restructuring the 3d parts and the back panel such that we can eliminate the "motherboard bottom back," "PSU top" and "PSU bottom" as we see them now and instead it would consist of two new parts and a modified "PSU bottom" part. The first two new parts would attach to the aluminum extrusions at roughly the height between the bottom edge of the motherboard and upper surface of the PSU. These parts would allow the rear panel to attach by screws. The PSU would attach to the rear panel. (I am unsure if acrylic offers enough strength for this).

The modified "PSU bottom" component would extend further up so that it would meet the motherboard.

Obviously this requires extensive redesign of the 3d components, but what is your opinion on this idea?

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
Thanks, I wasn’t certain of the clearance issue.

On another note: how do you feel about the gap between the I/O shield and the rear panel? I have a proposal with the goal of moving the motherboard/PSU back ~ 3-6mm. It would then sit evenly against the rear panel.

I understand it is now necessary because the motherboard there will collide with the "motherboard bottom back" component, but I would like to know what you think about if it is feasible to solve that issue by turning the rear panel into a structural component that screws in instead of by attach by magnets.

This could be done by restructuring the 3d parts and the back panel such that we can eliminate the "motherboard bottom back," "PSU top" and "PSU bottom" as we see them now and instead it would consist of two new parts and a modified "PSU bottom" part. The first two new parts would attach to the aluminum extrusions at roughly the height between the bottom edge of the motherboard and upper surface of the PSU. These parts would allow the rear panel to attach by screws. The PSU would attach to the rear panel. (I am unsure if acrylic offers enough strength for this).

The modified "PSU bottom" component would extend further up so that it would meet the motherboard.

Obviously this requires extensive redesign of the 3d components, but what is your opinion on this idea?

Ok the above is what happens when I try to describe a 3d model with English; it comes out like a stream of consciousness.

I am working on a skp file to demonstrate the above. Unsure when it will be finished (I have horrible workflows). Also, I will have a 140mm fan compatible version to share.

If the reworked mounting components are not received well then perhaps the 140mm version will be.

robbee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Ok the above is what happens when I try to describe a 3d model with English; it comes out like a stream of consciousness.

I am working on a skp file to demonstrate the above. Unsure when it will be finished (I have horrible workflows). Also, I will have a 140mm fan compatible version to share.

If the reworked mounting components are not received well then perhaps the 140mm version will be.

Looking forward to this! You're not alone in wanting a 140mm version with more CPU cooler clearance so I'm sure people will find it interesting!

griever

Average Stuffer
Apr 30, 2019
The global supply chain is bonkers right now. No sooner do I find the parts for my Basalt, the parts are either drastically increased in price, shipping, or completely out of stock. Mainly I am seeing the aluminum extrusions go out of stock very quickly, or the advertised "we cut any length" advertisement on aliexpress is met with "no we dont have" reply by the seller.

My preference was to buy from Motedis but $17 USD worth of extrusions has 45 USD worth of shipping (ouch).

I wish I could say when I think I can start constructing this case! Perhapss not for a few months at this rate. I'll update when I can.