ATX PSU and Cooling options

maelstromm

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 19, 2019
SFF newbie here. After resisting for a long time to move to an SFF, even though I've wanted to this route a long time, now seems like the best time to jump in on an NCASE. Trying to piece together parts and I'm confused about what route to go. Here's what I have so far:
  1. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  2. ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX
  3. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB DDR4-3200
  4. ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVME
  5. Seasonic FOCUS SSR-550FX 550W 80+ Gold
  6. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6GB GDDR5 (Single fan)
From my reading so far, using an ATX PSU is possible if I use a single fan GPU. But now I'm trying to decide what route to go with for cooling between:
  1. Air Cooling using Noctua NH-D15 and two Noctua NF A-14 cooling from the bottom OR
  2. AIO Watercooling using Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L or Corsair Hydro H100X with/without additional Noctua fans
Would an AIO work if using an ATX PSU? I'm primarily going to use this for Desktop productivity than gaming.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Couple of points,
1: if you are looking at the Ncase v6.0 it will no longer come with an ATX PSU bracket.
2: NH-D15 is way too big for the Ncase, you have 130mm clearance for a CPU cooler.
3: Cannot use a 240mm AIO with the ATX PSU.

Reactions: maelstromm

Kaiede

Chassis Packer
Jul 16, 2019
First off, the V6 no longer comes with the ATX bracket, so be aware of that. The other problem is if you want to go with a 240mm AIO, it needs the space that an ATX power supply would use. But otherwise the AIO plan seems fine.

I‘d double check on the 140mm fan plan, since V5 and earlier require mods, and while I think the V6 is friendlier, I’m not sure it is “mod free” to fit them.

For the air cooling option, the D15 is too big to fit the M1. With the 3700X, something like the U9S would be adequate, or you can use a C14S, with tweaks/modifications, but I don’t think it would work with an ATX power supply. The C14S is probably the better choice if you are going to overclock, as it can dissipate a little more heat.

My personal thoughts are to go with air cooling and and get a SF450 power supply. The SF600 is better if you think you will be going with a beefier CPU/GPU down the road with higher power requirements. I like the air cooling for simplicity and noise, but I don’t really overclock. I’d rather undervolt and reduce heat.

The cables with the Corsair PSUs kinda suck, though. Very stiff.

Reactions: maelstromm

maelstromm

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 19, 2019
Thank you both for the quick replies. Looks like I'm going to need to make some decisions around PSU (maybe even sell it) if I'm going to be able to pull this off.

The cables with the Corsair PSUs kinda suck, though. Very stiff.
This is what I'm worried about. My previous Corsair PSUs were not fun because of the lack of cable flexibility. I wonder if the EVGA's are any better.