News ASUS STRIX B350I GAMING

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I dont know why anyone with basic computer knowledge would still think that with Ryzen? With the older chips, sure, but not with ryzen. However, it was a bit sad to see how incredibly more powerful the latest 8700K was compared to any ryzen CPU. So while I dont think AMD is only for peasants, Intel has a clear lead again. #Sadness
Not in multi-core performance, considering that every Ryzen 7 1700 is only one BIOS setting away from becoming 1800X material. Couple that with the overheating issues and the paper launch and that means Coffee Lake is not doing AMD any harm so far. Given the TechPowerUp poll I just shared, which if it is anywhere close to reflecting how the enthusiast crowd is purchasing, Coffee Lake has ultimately failed in its goal of thwarting Ryzen's ascension.

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
You could get an Z370 (cheap itx exists!) + i5 8400 + RX 550 and end up with a better rig without having to OC anything at all.
Yeah - 6 cores 6 threads vs 6 cores 12 threads. Better. Right.

Before coffee lake an r5 definitely better than i5 in real world performance (at least in my usage) from my experience (using friends' pcs) but I haven't seen i5-8400 in the wild just yet. Luckily I haven't put my foot in yet so I can easily switch sides.

I doubt it though. 6 extta threads.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Not in multi-core performance, considering that every Ryzen 7 1700 is only one BIOS setting away from becoming 1800X material. Couple that with the overheating issues and the paper launch and that means Coffee Lake is not doing AMD any harm so far. Given the TechPowerUp poll I just shared, which if it is anywhere close to reflecting how the enthusiast crowd is purchasing, Coffee Lake has ultimately failed in its goal of thwarting Ryzen's ascension.

Well.... OCed 1700X could barely keep up with the 8700K in multithread tasks, and only because of the 4 extra threads. If you stack up an intel with same amount of threads, it will beat the Ryzen counterpart by a lot. Further optimization of Coffey Lake will reduce the issues of the platform. Remember how bad Ryzen's launch was? :p

However, the increase in power, is imo too little to justify the ridiculous price-premium you have to pay for an Intel system.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Plus a dying socket vs another 3 years upgrade path available... that is if intel don't leapfrog amd with another platform.

But the more we talk about this the more ridiculous asus' price point on this board sounds to me.
First i was like, cool, extra 30$ from asrock, but now...

I'm just hoping ryzen cpu and mobo price would go down after coffeelake reaches the market..

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Keep in mind Ryzen 2 is like 4 months away. 14 to 12nm die shrink and architectural improvements should close that gap a little. I'd also love to see 8700K vs 1600X/1800X with decent high speed and low latency RAM rather . Pretty sure Ryzen would pull significantly ahead on multithreaded and close most of the gap on single threaded applications.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
My understanding is it isn't a legitimate die shrink. It's still 14nm by all accounts, making it a node refinement. GloFlo is playing fast and loose with terminology. Others have done this when it benefits themselves, too.

It does still mean we should hopefully see higher frequencies though!

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Keep in mind Ryzen 2 is like 4 months away. 14 to 12nm die shrink and architectural improvements should close that gap a little. I'd also love to see 8700K vs 1600X/1800X with decent high speed and low latency RAM rather . Pretty sure Ryzen would pull significantly ahead on multithreaded and close most of the gap on single threaded applications.

Wait?.... They are already making 12 nm chips? So AM4 is already going to be obsolete in 4 months? Or is it just an intel-thing to have to change the socket just because the dye gets smaller (not sure if "dye" is the correct term here)?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Great news indeed. Sadly no mentioning of msrp. I feel all giddy inside - good thing I haven't bought an asrock!

Nwkrep82

Chassis Packer
Feb 15, 2017
I'm personally disappointed there is no video out on these boards.

I understand that some are ok with that, and that's fine.

I currently use the Intel version of these boards (Z270-I; Z370-I) and am somewhat baffled why they would take a feature away that is present on their Intel counterparts.

These boards support the upcoming Raven Ridge APUs. The whole point of an APU is processor/graphics combination. There are valid use case scenarios for them.

Of course, there are other boards that could be used. What about those people that prefer the build quality, performance, aesthetics, and feature sets of the ASUS board?

I am definitely a fan of options...I am glad Asus joined the AM4 ITX party.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

Just landed:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-B350-I-Gaming/
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X370-I-Gaming/

There seems to be no difference whatsoever other than the chipset... Pretty weird. Price difference should amount to at most 10% if that's the case...
Thank you both for these updates! The boards look great! Definitely what I would pick to build a CPU + dGPU (work and gaming) system with.