News ASUS STRIX B350I GAMING

djcostcosamples

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Finally got my x370i up and running. Out of the box I set the multiplier to 38x for my 1600X, set vcore to 1.35v, loaded the xmp profile for TridentZ 3200 CL14 and booted with no problems. Ran Memtest86 for 17 hours (got through 20 passes before I got impatient lol). Then I set vcore to 1.24v and ran P95 overnight for 8 hours. No issues! Power delivery is really solid on this board. Lowest recorded vcore while testing was ~1.21 and the highest was right where I set it at 1.24v. I could never get my RAM to run at the xmp settings on either the Gigabyte or Asrock boards but I'm a happy camper now :) Haven't messed around with BCLK overclocking but I might later this weekend to see how much I can fine tune.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Asus packed two m.2 screws in separate packets, but only one m.2 standoff.
Waiting to hear back from them now.

The standoff is for the underside portion of the board. There is already a m.2 standoff installed underneath the sound card on the riser.

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
The standoff is for the underside portion of the board. There is already a m.2 standoff installed underneath the sound card on the riser.
No, there were no pre-fitted standoffs.
Between Asus and Scorptec, it was sorted quickly.
They did infact a wrong screw package.
Assembled now in a massive 'itx' case, waiting on the fianl nvme drive. Cannot complete until then, the d15 eclipses and access to the board.

On a lighter note for reference:
Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz 2x8gb 16-18-18-36 works at 3200.
Corsair Dominator platinum 3000Mhz 2x8gb runs at 2933.
Corsair Dominator platinum 3333Mhz 2x16gb runs at 3333.

djcostcosamples

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
This is driving me crazy. Everything has been working fine until last night. I decided to replace the internal IEC cable in my NCASE to a brand new, right-oriented one (bought directly from sfflab) because it seemed like I was straining the old cable due to an extreme bend.

In any case, after installing the cable, I am no longer able to POST with my XMP/DOCP settings of 3200 CL14-14-14-34 (I've narrowed the issue down to RAM after resetting to factory settings and changing things one by one) even though my RAM has showed no signs of instability after numerous stress tests. Tried putting back the old cable and it's giving me the same problem.

Checked all my PSU connections, everything is connected properly. When I was shutting down to change the cable, Windows was doing an update? Is it possible I screwed up my RAM by completely cutting off power even though I waited for Windows to do a full shutdown? BIOS was recently updated, but was working fine after the update..

tommy_po

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 1, 2017
Hey, I'm planning to buy AM4 itx board for ryzen 1600,
right now in Poland Asus B350-i is only 30-35$ more then asrock AB350 Itx,

from Asus I expect a better power section, it's worth it?

tommy_po

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 1, 2017
right, lack of APU can be a problem for someone who wants to build a cheap system on Ryzen for basic applications and not AAA games, but this person does not look at Asus for this price, I do not expect a refreshed B450-I Strix soon and something like 1600x with APU on the level of 1060 for gaming in 1080p

d10ng

Caliper Novice
Oct 3, 2017
Has anyone else tried a new ryzen CPU yet on this board? Will it need a BIOS update?

Also has anyone got 2 nvme's running, any issues with the pcie 2x4 of slot 2?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Has anyone else tried a new ryzen CPU yet on this board? Will it need a BIOS update?

Also has anyone got 2 nvme's running, any issues with the pcie 2x4 of slot 2?
The board will need a BIOS update to support newer Ryzen CPUs. The main issue will be sourcing one at a decent price since ASUS discontinued it for the unreleased B450-I (at least in Canada).

d10ng

Caliper Novice
Oct 3, 2017
The board will need a BIOS update to support newer Ryzen CPUs. The main issue will be sourcing one at a decent price since ASUS discontinued it for the unreleased B450-I (at least in Canada).

I have one already while I finish off collecting parts. I've got an r3 1200 I bought for it but just wondering, as it was released quite late if it may have supprtrd the 2xxx series already with a later bios, to save me opening the 1200. Might just pick up a cheaper 1600 or 1700.

Didn't think we'd see the b450i that quick, wonders will never cease.

Thanks.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I have one already while I finish off collecting parts. I've got an r3 1200 I bought for it but just wondering, as it was released quite late if it may have supprtrd the 2xxx series already with a later bios, to save me opening the 1200. Might just pick up a cheaper 1600 or 1700.

Didn't think we'd see the b450i that quick, wonders will never cease.

Thanks.
You're most welcome.

d10ng

Caliper Novice
Oct 3, 2017
Hi,
The AIO-PUMP header is listed as pwm controllable on the website, and in the pin diagram in the manual it says aio pwm, as I'm not using an aio can this header be used to pwm control another case fan. My instinct says yes, but it may need checking in bios or fan software, is that correct?

Thx

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Hi,
The AIO-PUMP header is listed as pwm controllable on the website, and in the pin diagram in the manual it says aio pwm, as I'm not using an aio can this header be used to pwm control another case fan. My instinct says yes, but it may need checking in bios or fan software, is that correct?

Thx
Good question. I am receiving a B450-I Gaming soon (I hope) and should be able to test it out then.

d10ng

Caliper Novice
Oct 3, 2017
Yes. I can confirm that works, I have my 2 exhaust fans on a splitter working under pwm correctly from the aio_pump header.

Can't fault this motherboard yet. Bios update was needed though to get the ram at 3200mhz, but no issues there now.