News ASUS STRIX B350I GAMING

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Wow. That's what I'm talking about!

Looking foreword to reviews on this one for sure.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Closer look at that strange riser:

It is a custom sound card, completely shielded and separated from the rest of the components so it has very low THD and SNR. ASUS always has done a fantastic job at producing the best sound cards. They have made Creative Labs an irrelevant joke in the consumer space as a result.

EDIT: As masteraleph below states, the ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I Gaming has an m.2 slot directly under the same-looking heatsink. Perhaps the sound card and the m.2 slot share the same cramped quarters and a riser was necessary to fit everything in?

Last edited:

d10ng

Caliper Novice
Oct 3, 2017
Interesting, the Swedish website link, states 2 x m.2, not bad for ITX. So I think maybe one on top one underneath?

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
I know the z270i has 2x m.2 for storage- one on the back, one inside of a double-decker heatsink with the PCH underneath (so it's PCH, middle of the heat sink, m.2, top of the heatsink from motherboard level up).

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
169 EUR? Why is this mobo so expensive compared to the competition (i.e. asrock and gigabyte; biostar is in a different league imo)? What am I missing? And while I like that they removed the on-board video-outputs, I can't understand why they scimped on the Audio interface; why no digital out? Why no support for 7.1?

I do, however, like that Asus sticks with their dual M.2 slots and that they give plenty of USB-ports.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I can't understand why they scimped on the Audio interface; why no digital out? Why no support for 7.1?
Digital out is hardly ever used anymore even by audiophile types like myself. HDMI passthrough has become the prodominant, go-to technology because it allows for lossless surround sound, something S/PDIF cannot do. The only useful thing I use onboard audio for now is headphone listening and ASUS has some of the cleanest, most powerful headphone output systems in the entire PC industry.

meganerid

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 2, 2017
Whoa.. makes the ITX boards from others look like they didn't try lol.
2 m.2 slots are great, also finally an R series only board haha..wish they could cram more ports in place of the missing HDMI/DP.
They're really late though, already got my Asrock :\

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I don't know why, but I love how its simplified with no hdmi or display ports, even how the sound io is reduced and monotoned to black. $199 quite high no?
Well if there are dual m.2 pcie 3.0 4x....that's worth it...:) i would be even a little bit jealous of that, as none of of atx or micro atx boards have that..:)