News ASUS STRIX B350I GAMING

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Not understanding the appeal. No video out means no APU support, and that pricing would certainly drive me to an Intel option.

Reactions: stree

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Not understanding the appeal. No video out means no APU support, and that pricing would certainly drive me to an Intel option.

I generally find the video outputs are wasted, so I don't miss them here. Use cases for integrated graphics are usually for a NAS or video capture system, neither are a system I would put this board in. :)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I generally find the video outputs are wasted, so I don't miss them here. Use cases for integrated graphics are usually for a NAS or video capture system, neither are a system I would put this board in. :)
You're forgetting about regular SFF cases that do not have much if any space for a dedicated GPU. GEEEK Mini A10, Streacom F1C, Win-Sis WI-12, @Lone Industries L1 - L4, etc.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You're forgetting about regular SFF cases that do not have much if any space for a dedicated GPU. GEEEK Mini A10, Streacom F1C, Win-Sis WI-12, @Lone Industries L1 - L4, etc.
Except (all?) those have room for a half height gpu, many of which can be surprising potent and are almost always much better than integrated graphics. Does that negate the use of a PCIe SSD or capture card or raid card? Yes. But that's a different use case than this board was meant for.

Reactions: OlaffLudwig

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Asus strix boards are usually oc/enthusiast boards, so that's not their target here. Asrock/biostar/gigabyte has you covered there. This is clearly for ryzen+dedicated gpu folks. We'll see more about overclockability when we see how they implement vrms in this board

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Why would one buy a premium board like this only to throw an APU in it? APUs are a budget solution for low-power users while this is targeted at the premium segment of the market, specifically 1600X and above from what I can tell.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
If it's a premium board for enthusiasts, my question is why is it B350 and not X350?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
If it's a premium board for enthusiasts, my question is why is it B350 and not X350?
You mean X370?
I think you need to read up on Zen platform. Basically Ryzen cpus have enough pcie lanes (compared to intel) that these 'higher end' chipsets only adds extra. In the mini ITX land you only have 1 pcie slot anyway, so the difference between B350 and X370 so far is how many m2 they're including and their bus type. With X370 they could possibly cramp more m2 slots somewhere, but tldr; X370 upwards is more or less a waste on mITX board. That's why they're further differentiating these two with better wifi card, better soundcard, better vrm etc.

But there's no reason not to put high end stuff in B350 too. Which is what asus did with this board (I hope). Oh and btw, I read somewhere that asus' X370 itx is also leaked but sadly no pictures to compare.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Asus strix boards are usually oc/enthusiast boards, so that's not their target here. Asrock/biostar/gigabyte has you covered there. This is clearly for ryzen+dedicated gpu folks. We'll see more about overclockability when we see how they implement vrms in this board

Ryzen isn't an OC/enthusiast platform to begin with. The major draws are lower pricing and 8 cores. if I'm paying a premium on a Ryzen motherboard that isn't even the top chip (B350 vs X370) what benefit does the platform as a whole give me compared to an Intel rigs?

*shots fired* dude I'm planning a build for r5 1600 + rx 550... yes I am on a budget

You could get an Z370 (cheap itx exists!) + i5 8400 + RX 550 and end up with a better rig without having to OC anything at all.

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
Ryzen isn't an OC/enthusiast platform to begin with. The major draws are lower pricing and 8 cores. if I'm paying a premium on a Ryzen motherboard that isn't even the top chip (B350 vs X370) what benefit does the platform as a whole give me compared to an Intel rigs?

You could get an Z370 (cheap itx exists!) + i5 8400 + RX 550 and end up with a better rig without having to OC anything at all.
Well...some people think that AMD is for peasants, some people think otherwise, and it seems like they are not that few.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Lol I can't believe how divisive this board is. I love the aesthetic, I like that it's focused on its target and doesn't bring with it the trappings of being general purpose. Overall it's a tool meant for a job, and I think it executes brilliantly in design (and hopefully function). Want video outputs? Look elsewhere - simple as that. I'll admit that it's a ballsy move to remove it, but I'm glad at least one product went that route.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The reason it's divisive is that it's taken its perceived elitism to the next level by eliminating legacy and middle to low end hardware support. I feel like this is tantamount to Apple's moves in pulling the headphone jack off of the iPhone and only providing USB-C/Thunderbolt ports on the MacBook Pro line. A little ballsy on ASUS's part, but I for one prefer my hardware forward facing so to speak.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Well...some people think that AMD is for peasants, some people think otherwise, and it seems like they are not that few.

I don't know why anyone with basic computer knowledge would still think that about Ryzen? With the older chips, sure, but not with Ryzen. However, it was a bit sad to see how incredibly more powerful the latest 8700K was compared to any Ryzen CPU. So while I don't think AMD is only for peasants, Intel has a clear lead again. #Sadness

Last edited: