Motherboard Asus Pro H610T Thin ITX boards will not post

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
I have purchased 2 of these boards one from a German online retailer and one directly from Asus USA. I currently have a support ticket with Asus USA tier 2. I have 2 discrete power supplies for testing the 19V power input at the 2 pin Molex. An HDPlex 160 watt AC to DC and a 400 watt as well. I have been told and this makes sense to me, The power input from the DC jack for laptop brick PS connection on thin ITX boards is connected in parallel through the PCB so that only ONE power supply type can be used at one time. (BTW the German EU version is not RMAable in the US as the serial number when entered is location proprietary and the RMA will not complete)

So the problem. Both boards will not post from either the 160 or the 400 when connected. The Asus User manual and the PCB board on any of their thin ITX board is not slick screened with the location of the Positive pinout. However the Atx spec for CPU 2 and 4 pin board connection of 12V or 19V places the positive connection from a power supply such as an HDplex or a Luna Designs at the Molex lock pin side. Both of these boards post to the OS with my test 160-watt 19V laptop brick. But, not the Hd Plex's when separately connected. Not even a momentary fan spin-up.

So if the connections are in parallel between the LapTop brick jack and the 2 pin Molex one of the pins at the Molex should be hot 19 v and should be testable with a multimeter. My question is did Asus wire the pins backward as I have not tested this out yet or is there another design flaw in these boards, that prevents the HDPlexs from posting the boards, just as the laptop brick does? Any thoughts on this problem would be appreciated??

I will post Asus's answer to my ticket when I receive it.

• Sad
Reactions: Arboreal

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
Update: I got the testicular fortitude to make the multimeter Test, and When the positive probe is in the Molex pin at the lock pin side with the laptop power supply connected and plugged in: (A -19 VOLTS SI SHOW YES "NEGATIVE 19 VOLTS) WHEN SWITCHING THE POSITIVE MULTIMETER PROBE TO THE OTHER PIN +19 VOLTS IS DISPLAYED ON THE METER) I THEN DID THE SAME CHECK on my HdPlex 400 and positive 19V with the probe on the lock side and negative 19V when switched, So the conclusion is Asus has wired the 2 pin Molex backward from the ATX standard convention. Dipinning and switching output wires on 160 with some more fortitude will be the next test.

• Wow
Reactions: Arboreal

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
That's frustrating, but good detective work. But you shouldn't have to do this.

Availability of the Asus board has been very poor, and I wonder if they are having issues and have held back production for QC and testing? Like we've seen with the Gigabyte board...

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
No, I doubt they are now QCing these most likely these are covid issues causing the delays or, not even a complete board release, such as the 510T which never showed in the US but, I have one, I purchased from China. No response from Asus USA yet.
HOWEVER:
I HAVE VERIFIED THAT BOTH THE US AND EU VERSIONS OF THE ASUS PRO H610 T D4 CSM ARE IN FACT WIRED BACKWARD AT THE 2 PIN MOLEX!! Testing with an HDPlex 400 watt dipinned with a Molex tool revision D and after recrimp of the 3 wire to one pin (pin stuck in 2 pin male Molex and all three wires pulled out.wire output on 400 3 positives and 3 negatives) Then exchanging std locations making the lock side negative. The board fired right up to the lock screen! BTW Lan activity lights fired up before hitting the power button, when power delivery is correct on brick or discrete power supply to 2 pin Molex
This is a verified design flaw in these boards and should be so noted in the User manual in the future if Asus wants to band-aid this mistake.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
ASUS H610T BACKWARD MOLEX PINOUT LOCATIONS!!!

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
Asus's response: No confidence in their abilities, and no remorse for not knowing where the positive pin-out is located.
I wonder who really designed this board? Throwing out the fact that Covid Period QC was minimal if at all.
ServiceCenter_AM <servicecenter_am@asus.com>
Thank you for contacting ASUS Product Support.

My name is John Daniel De T.. We want to thank you for confirming that this issue has been resolved. We know your time is valuable, so we appreciate you keeping us up to date.

While we are sorry that we were not able to resolve the issue more quickly, we are glad it has been taken care of. We assure you that we will review the information you provided to determine how we can expedite the resolution of similar issues in the future.

Thank you for the information that you have provided and I do apologize for the inconvenience.

I do appreciate your time and efforts in troubleshooting this issue.

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
I'm sure a bit of a dumb question, but any issues with a 6-wire output from the Hdplex power supply into a 2-wire input to the motherboard? I assume you rig up a 2-wire Molex male by combining the three wires positive and three negative onto one pin each?

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
That is totally correct. You need to use silver plated wire of small diameter to get it one pin per triplet. Too big a gauge wire and your crimp will be crap.
ModDyi is the best source and you could probably use a small gauge silicon wire as well.
18 gauge silicone 22 guage would be better.... silver FEP 20 guage
22 guage silicone

Reactions: Phuncz