ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX + Noctua NH-L12S?

madchillunited

Efficiency Noob
Sep 4, 2019
I don’t know for certain as I do not have this cooler myself. However on the Ghost Slack channel a lot of people had done this same mod to theirs. The S version can be squashed down to the same dimensions as the non S, and I’ve seen people fit them in the Ghost, so you’ll be alright. If you are not putting it in a Ghost then you don’t need to squash it and therefore will have more clearance than the non S version.
Thanks for the reply. Could you pls show me where you read this. tried to do a search on Ghost Stack channel but couldn't find anything, thought it was a forum or something. Cheers!

C3N0B1T3

Average Stuffer
Oct 15, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Could you pls show me where you read this. tried to do a search on Ghost Stack channel but couldn't find anything, thought it was a forum or something. Cheers!
No probs. So Louqe decided (for some strange reason) to use Slack as their way to communicate to people. You need to be a member of this Chanel to be able to view it. I got my invite when I placed my order. Not sure how you access it otherwise. That being said Louqe do also have a Discord channel. This might be better anyway, as they dont pay for a subscription of Slack so old messages are overwritten pretty quickly meaning there isnt much history to search through.

However, unless you are using a Ghost then I wouldnt worry about it. The NH-L12S is designed to allow the 120 slim fan underneath. The only reason this became an issue and required filing was for specific use in the Ghost. This is because people were having to squash the cooler to get it to fit in the Ghost, and then had to file the fan to clear the RAM and the Heatsink. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: rfarmer

madchillunited

Efficiency Noob
Sep 4, 2019
No probs. So Louqe decided (for some strange reason) to use Slack as their way to communicate to people. You need to be a member of this Chanel to be able to view it. I got my invite when I placed my order. Not sure how you access it otherwise. That being said Louqe do also have a Discord channel. This might be better anyway, as they dont pay for a subscription of Slack so old messages are overwritten pretty quickly meaning there isnt much history to search through.

However, unless you are using a Ghost then I wouldnt worry about it. The NH-L12S is designed to allow the 120 slim fan underneath. The only reason this became an issue and required filing was for specific use in the Ghost. This is because people were having to squash the cooler to get it to fit in the Ghost, and then had to file the fan to clear the RAM and the Heatsink. Hope that makes sense.

Yes planning to use the ghost s1, z390 pg itx and also the NH-L12s which is the one I could find in stock from where I am. thanks again!

Reactions: C3N0B1T3

Blahbleh

Cable Smoosher
Oct 7, 2019
...and I eventually bought both ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming and Noctua L12S. It fits !
I mounted it horizontally, with the strips parallel to the RAM, the heat pipes touching the i/o heatsink. As said for the L12, contact between i/o shield and the heat pipes makes the L12S slightly bend, making the fan applying pressure on the RAM at the other side (not that much, still very acceptable).

Anyway it fits the Nouvolo Steck (announced with 70mm CPU heatsink clearance).

The picture below was for another purpose but you can see the L12S is not perfectly parallel to the side panel, because of the slight bend caused by the io shield/heatsink on the left. You can also see how it sits on the RAM (great cooling for them !).