Motherboard ASROCK X470 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX/ac Mini-ITX motherboard leaked

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Not cancelled, just not properly launched yet is my understanding.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
https://videocardz.com/newz/asrock-x470-fatal1ty-gaming-itx-ac-mini-itx-motherboard-leaked
Looks pretty good - hopefully they left the SPDIF out on the back and upgraded the HDMI to 2.0.

Can I ask what your conifguration looks like for which you want the SPDIF? SPDIF has less audio bandwitdth than HDMI; if you're outputting AV to a receiver through HDMI, there's not really much to gain in using the SPDIF - only if you want to send a specific application's sound output to a different player, like a 2nd reciever/set of speakers for example, separately from the video. And since not much these days has an SPDIF connector apart from hifi receivers, I'm curious to learn about other use cases people might be planning.

MarionSSS

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Can I ask what your conifguration looks like for which you want the SPDIF? SPDIF has less audio bandwitdth than HDMI; if you're outputting AV to a receiver through HDMI, there's not really much to gain in using the SPDIF - only if you want to send a specific application's sound output to a different player, like a 2nd reciever/set of speakers for example, separately from the video. And since not much these days has an SPDIF connector apart from hifi receivers, I'm curious to learn about other use cases people might be planning.
I'm still in the process planning my build. However I plan on using a dual monitor setup and instead of a 5 speaker surround system that I had before I'm going to use and older Yamaha soundbar possibly mounted to the wall right behind the monitors and it requires an spdif connection. Because it's a bit of an older model it does not have HDMI.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
For a DAC maybe?!

Yes but what kind of receiver/stereo doesn't have an inbuilt DAC? ;) If you need DAC why not use the sound-card's own, using the 3.5mm jack? Makes 0 sense to use the digital out just to then analog it straight after... unless your DAC is a super-expensive ultra-quality thingee majiggy.

Because it's a bit of an older model it does not have HDMI.

Right, that's the case I expected, was curious if there were any others, heh... :)

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
Yes but what kind of receiver/stereo doesn't have an inbuilt DAC? ;) If you need DAC why not use the sound-card's own, using the 3.5mm jack? Makes 0 sense to use the digital out just to then analog it straight afterwards... unless your DAC is a super-expensive ultra-quality thingee majiggy.

You answered your own question. I haven't used a mobo soundcard in a long time. They suck for my purpose and depending of your mean of "super-expensive" even my cheapest gear (which has been long gone) was better than any of my mothetboards, with a few very bad, regretful, exceptions.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
You answered your own question. I haven't used a mobo soundcard in a long time. They suck for my purpose and depending of your mean of "super-expensive" even my cheapest gear (which has been long gone) was better than any of my mothetboards, with a few very bad, regretful, exceptions.

Then, I have a question, and this is quite a bit of a tangeant, but, I've often wondered why no-one has yet build a modular, upgradeable, PCIe-card-centered Linux-based HiFi receiver. All the ports & interfaces could be on removable cards so upgradeable when standards change; OS upgradeable to support any new codecs & formats etc; get your socket right & CPU also upgradeable although would barely be needed in most cases.
DAC ain't changing much once you have a quality one so it could take up the corner of a standard ATX case; min-itx board would fit the bill nicely and could even be the basis of a full home-AV-centered VR behemoth machine :) Unlikely to fir the SFF billing, of course, but I did say it was a tangent ;)

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018

Still doens't really explain why you would want SPDIF out when the audio over HDMI is far more capable.