Motherboard ASROCK X470 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX/ac Mini-ITX motherboard leaked

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Windfall - I'm working on finding a gallery plugin to reduce the UEFI spam :) I didn't intend on publishing this article just yet (the content is complete, the screenshot bit wasn't) but I accidentally hit publish. Next article will have a gallery for the BIOS :)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@Windfall - I'm working on finding a gallery plugin to reduce the UEFI spam :) I didn't intend on publishing this article just yet (the content is complete, the screenshot bit wasn't) but I accidentally hit publish. Next article will have a gallery for the BIOS :)

lol, I was kind of wondering about the overabundance of UEFI screenshots. Great review though. :thumb:

Reactions: confusis

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
I bought this board before any reviews were even released. The only complaint that I see not really mentioned is how annoying the capacitors by the PCIe slot are. Depending on what you're also routing inside/outside of the case, these do get in the way (for me it was a fan PWM cable to a fan sitting outside of the case for CPU radiator cooling).

The rear I/O panel is probably my least favorite part, since I don't really care for the color scheme and/or gamer branding.

One thing to note though is how good it is that ASRock implemented an Intel 9260 for WiFi/BT. It's the latest card that I've been manually installing into my builds, nice to not have to do it with this one!

Reactions: Soul_Est

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
@confusis

I really like the detailed review, although here are my two cents on the board...
I am slightly concerned about the VRM situation on all X470 (especially ITX) boards, as described by Actually Hardcore Overclocking. Maybe it will be able to handle a 2700x overclocked???. The VRM heatsink looks kinda bad to me in cooling capacity, something with actual fins would be great on such a high-end product for high-end processors. The rest of the board looks really solid, though. The I/O looks good to me... Wish there was another M.2 :p.

Also, a question for the more knowledgeable people in this forum: Why are so many manufacturers and enthusiasts focusing on X370/X470 ITX boards? The SLI support is not feasible in ITX, and the storage features are also not possible to cram in. I get that B450 isn't out yet, but especially with B350 in the previous generation- what was the point of X370 ITX boards? The VRMs aren't much better, either, and as an example, the B350 Strix/X370 Strix are basically the same... Just curious.

Reactions: annasoh323

gwilly7

Cable Smoosher
Feb 13, 2018
I recently upgraded to this board for my 2400G and the only problem I have is Hdmi connection will keep flashing black every minute or so when running my OS from my evo 960 m.2 through my Dennon X2300W. If I run my OS from a regular SSD or flash drive it is flawless. I can run straight to the TV without issue using the M.2 though. I am using Monoprice certified cables. Did not have this issue on previous Asus b350m-e. Any ideas?

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I recently upgraded to this board for my 2400G and the only problem I have is Hdmi connection will keep flashing black every minute or so when running my OS from my evo 960 m.2 through my Dennon X2300W. If I run my OS from a regular SSD or flash drive it is flawless. I can run straight to the TV without issue using the M.2 though. I am using Monoprice certified cables. Did not have this issue on previous Asus b350m-e. Any ideas?

Is it a fresh OS install on each drive? What OS are you using?

gwilly7

Cable Smoosher
Feb 13, 2018
Yes fresh install. Windows 10 on the m.2 installed 3 times. Issue happens before and after installing amd drivers. I have also pulled board and re seated the m.2 and Kubuntu had issues as well on the m.2. Kubuntu 18.04 ran great straight from flash drive though. Libreelec on the regular SSD. Next test will be Windows 10 on regular Ssd. Bios 1.11A

Edit: installed windows 10 on regular ssd and runs 4k@60 without and blackouts. I have also noticed when restarting computer after running m.2 the asrock splash screen does not dis play but will when rebooting from ssd

Last edited:

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
The fact that they finally skipped the Red accents is a huge plus in my book. Would not have been against some subtle dark gray accents though. What I do miss, is two additional USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports in the rear IO.

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
The fact that they finally skipped the Red accents is a huge plus in my book. Would not have been against some subtle dark gray accents though. What I do miss, is two additional USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports in the rear IO.

Personally I'd also take a trade for only 2 SATA slots with the +1 M.2 slot (similar to the ASUS X470 ITX offering). The Type-C port combined with the superior WiFi/BT card has me in the ASRock camp with this one, though.

E-Rod

Chassis Packer
May 23, 2018
Great board, I upgraded to one from the B350 variant with my 2700X. Definitely more aggressive with XFR2 and PBO, and was able to push my RAM to 3400MHz no problem.

The review is spot on, but I wish it would have touched on the benefits of the X470 chipset itself. I felt like there was a lot more snappy feel with the 2000 series Ryzen on X470, and attribute it to those under the hood features.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Great board, I upgraded to one from the B350 variant with my 2700X. Definitely more aggressive with XFR2 and PBO, and was able to push my RAM to 3400MHz no problem.

The review is spot on, but I wish it would have touched on the benefits of the X470 chipset itself. I felt like there was a lot more snappy feel with the 2000 series Ryzen on X470, and attribute it to those under the hood features.

To be honest, I didn't notice any difference in performance. Then again, I was running a first gen rather than second generation Ryzen chip, which may have a little to do with it- the chipset is able to utilise the extra capabilities of the processor that the 300 series boards couldn't. As I mentioned earlier, I hadn't meant to hit publish just yet, I wanted to have a play with StoreMI first!

TheOfficialCzex

Trash Compacter
Mar 6, 2017
It is thoroughly disappointing to see the lack of a ThunderBolt 3 port on this motherboard when the Z370 variant does have it.

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
It's an Intel issue - whilst Thunderbolt is becoming apparently an open standard, Intel still has a stranglehold on certification. IIRC last year we had numerous mobo manufacturers quoting 12 month certification timeframes.

another reason i'm happy my x370 build is working well. intel... sigh...

Reactions: Mortis Angelus