Motherboard ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac and AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RedArt

Caliper Novice
Aug 27, 2017
Im using the stock cooler but I removed the top of it to make it fit in the case. This pic is from a while ago when I was building it but I havent made any change since then.

Reactions: Acalanata

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Thanks everyone for the replies. I tried both HWiNFO64 and AIDA64, these are the results:

They look consistent, should I worry about it or do you still think it might be fine?
Hello there. I see there's another convert that worries on the high VRM temp... Well, the same thing happens on my AB350 + Ryzen 7 1700X. Mine is 114 degrees C, LOL.

I never understood that numbers also. Frankly, my circle of friends and knowledge most are Intel users, and the AMD ones... Let's just say they follow the brand religiously. According to them, it's normal. With my 114 degrees VRM, the system runs optimally for almost 9 months now and I use my system daily, since I work from home. I do have a plan to move to 2700X, but not too thrilled with the increase in TDP and having to upgrade to new motherboard to utilize sustained frequency boost and XFR 2.0. Let's see if the new system also has that high VRM temp numbers.

TL;DR: it's fine.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
I'm on v1803, and this new version have new security options (Core isolation>Memory Integrity) but it doesn't work on my PC.
So I would like to know if others have that problem?
I'm on 1803 too, I'm fast lane Windows Insider as well... Boy the journey was nerve wrecking (had to redownload many apps and games I download from Windows Store due to bugs and just general beta experience). Anyway, the Core Isolation doesn't work on my side, does it work on Intel side?

Reactions: AV-Gurus

RedArt

Caliper Novice
Aug 27, 2017
Hello there. I see there's another convert that worries on the high VRM temp... Well, the same thing happens on my AB350 + Ryzen 7 1700X. Mine is 114 degrees C, LOL.

I never understood that numbers also. Frankly, my circle of friends and knowledge most are Intel users, and the AMD ones... Let's just say they follow the brand religiously. According to them, it's normal. With my 114 degrees VRM, the system runs optimally for almost 9 months now and I use my system daily, since I work from home. I do have a plan to move to 2700X, but not too thrilled with the increase in TDP and having to upgrade to new motherboard to utilize sustained frequency boost and XFR 2.0. Let's see if the new system also has that high VRM temp numbers.

TL;DR: it's fine.

But what if we are reducing the lifespan of the mb with those vrm temps? :(

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
What you could also do is remove the AMD fan and shroud from the heatsink and use a 120mm or 140mm fan above it (attached to side panel). Plug it in the CPU_FAN header, be sure to use a fan that's meant for heatsink use (not any generic case fan) because you want the static pressure.

It goes without saying that the amount of airflow will be key. You could try with the CPU fan at a higher speed (different profile or manual, in BIOS) to see if increased airflow with the current fan would lower the VRM temps.

But mind you that VRMs don't need to be below 100°C, they can handle more than that. Though through some searching I did find someone mentioning that the VRM temps on this board seem to be interpreted incorrectly, showing lowering temperatures as the system heats up. Check this make sure. You could use a case fan on the VRM heatsink area to see if it indeed doesn't lower the temperature.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig

nick_w

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2017
Though through some searching I did find someone mentioning that the VRM temps on this board seem to be interpreted incorrectly, showing lowering temperatures as the system heats up. Check this make sure. You could use a case fan on the VRM heatsink area to see if it indeed doesn't lower the temperature.
This is the same behavior I was seeing on my board, in HWMonitor it says 118°C and rarely changes, and then goes down when its under a heavy load. HWiNFO64 is supposed to be more accurate and I think it discards unreliable sensor readings so it doesn't show this sensor at all. My computer has been running over six months without issue so far.. so its probably nothing to worry about but It would be nice to know what the actual temperature of the vrms is.

vinhom

Cable Smoosher
Dec 29, 2017
As far as I'm aware, this motherboard does not have VRM temperature sensors so the readings in HWInfo and similar programs are complete bogus.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
My B350 Fatality itx shows 107C pretty much all the time on that sensor in HWinfo. I disabled that reading a couple of months ago and feel that it is inaccurate. The rest of the temp readings are more in line with what you would expect with my HW config. If your stuff is running well and everything else looks decent then don’t sweat it.

Earlier bios but temps are good. Rogue sensor set to ignore.

Reactions: Phuncz

parlinone

Trash Compacter
Nov 3, 2017
Finally got my system working after trying many things, apparently the shop didnt flash my mainboard properly :-/ Running v4.50 know but still a bit pissed, this cost me about 50 euros in troubleshooting and new parts and about six weeks of delay.

Now, I'm trying to disable SMT and one of the cores to get temperatures down on the new build (still gunning for fanless), but disabling either result in boot failure. Anybody know what's that about / what I'm doing wrong?

Could someone with a Raven Ridge please check if you can disable a core or SMT?

Last edited:

RedArt

Caliper Novice
Aug 27, 2017
Maybe change your CPU cooler for a top-down one, that will blow on the VRM ?

I dont have one available already so Im looking for something already tested before spending more money.

What you could also do is remove the AMD fan and shroud from the heatsink and use a 120mm or 140mm fan above it (attached to side panel). Plug it in the CPU_FAN header, be sure to use a fan that's meant for heatsink use (not any generic case fan) because you want the static pressure.

It goes without saying that the amount of airflow will be key. You could try with the CPU fan at a higher speed (different profile or manual, in BIOS) to see if increased airflow with the current fan would lower the VRM temps.

But mind you that VRMs don't need to be below 100°C, they can handle more than that. Though through some searching I did find someone mentioning that the VRM temps on this board seem to be interpreted incorrectly, showing lowering temperatures as the system heats up. Check this make sure. You could use a case fan on the VRM heatsink area to see if it indeed doesn't lower the temperature.

@nick_w

1) I tried with 100% fan mode and if the other temps gained maybe 5°c the vrm was stable.

2) I tried heating up the system in two ways. Gaming mode and stress test with AIDA 64 checking the temps with Hwmonitor and Hwinfo. I noticed a -3°c in gaming mode but the CPU wasnt really heating up so I moved to AIDA 64. There I noticed a more consistent reduction. On Hwinfo it went from 105°/106°c to 97°c. On Hwmonitor from 117°/118°c to 106°c. So it might seems that the temp goes down when it heats up. Does this mean those values are wrong then?

Ps: Unfortunately AIDA 64 crashed around min 27 with an exe error and I even had to manually reboot the system so I cant show a screenshoot with all the tables. What I dont get is AIDA 64 was showing a max cpu temp of 75°c even reported on the next boot. Meanwhile HwMonitor was showing 88°c and HwInfo 86°c under the CPU(Tcl/Tdie) but same as AIDA 75°c under CPU in the MB list.

Reactions: Phuncz

RedArt

Caliper Novice
Aug 27, 2017
My B350 Fatality itx shows 107C pretty much all the time on that sensor in HWinfo. I disabled that reading a couple of months ago and feel that it is inaccurate. The rest of the temp readings are more in line with what you would expect with my HW config. If your stuff is running well and everything else looks decent then don’t sweat it.

You know my system is working good aswell from months but you never know if you are using it in the wrong way. We know that pc parts dont just fry quick but it might take a while :S

Here is my situation:

Did you hide the VRM temps aswell?

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
I have an Asrock AB350 ITX and I never had VRM temps listed with HWINFO64 or AIDA64. I just downloaded HWMonitor: it's reporting 115C at idle, which is dropping under load.

I dont have one available already so Im looking for something already tested before spending more money.

@nick_w

1) I tried with 100% fan mode and if the other temps gained maybe 5°c the vrm was stable.

2) I tried heating up the system in two ways. Gaming mode and stress test with AIDA 64 checking the temps with Hwmonitor and Hwinfo. I noticed a -3°c in gaming mode but the CPU wasnt really heating up so I moved to AIDA 64. There I noticed a more consistent reduction. On Hwinfo it went from 105°/106°c to 97°c. On Hwmonitor from 117°/118°c to 106°c. So it might seems that the temp goes down when it heats up. Does this mean those values are wrong then?

Ps: Unfortunately AIDA 64 crashed around min 27 with an exe error and I even had to manually reboot the system so I cant show a screenshoot with all the tables. What I dont get is AIDA 64 was showing a max cpu temp of 75°c even reported on the next boot. Meanwhile HwMonitor was showing 88°c and HwInfo 86°c under the CPU(Tcl/Tdie) but same as AIDA 75°c under CPU in the MB list.

In AIDA64, you have to look at CPU Diode measurement.

With these VRM temps dropping under load, I'm thinking whether it's somehow reporting Tdelta-to-Tmax... It would make sense. Suppose Tmax is ~160C. 115C reported would mean the actual temp is 45C.