Motherboard ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac and AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

AV-Gurus

Caliper Novice
Nov 13, 2017
av-gurus.blogspot.hr
What is your OC and @voltage?

Here are mine:

What are the "real" CPU temp?
CPU (TCtl/Tdie) 90°C or just CPU 71°C (this was under stress test?

Last edited:

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I have no OC on it, just XMP enabled. My ram kit is on the QVL Asrock has, but I could never get it to boot above 2133mhz.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Check all your connections. Power, gpu, cords all of it. Reseat the ram and even swap slots while your at it. Clear the cmos with the jumper not in the bios via a “restore defaults “. Get into your OS and just run it for a while. Bone stock. If all well go for XMP enabled in the ram.

It sounds silly perhaps but I have solve a few phantom pc issues just by rebuilding or re doing all the connections.

Also recommend going to bios 3.6 then 4.50 which is not a beta bios.

I’m on 4.50 with a 1600 /1060 and no issues.

Hope you sort it man.

Reactions: Acalanata

AV-Gurus

Caliper Novice
Nov 13, 2017
av-gurus.blogspot.hr
What is your OC and @voltage?

Here are mine:

What are the "real" CPU temp?
CPU (TCtl/Tdie) 90°C or just CPU 71°C (this was under stress test?

My question was for all.
I would like to hear from other who has R5 1600 and this MBO (ab350-gaming-itx) what is their OC MHz and at what V?

Sorry for misunderstanding.

jaagdijot

Trash Compacter
Jan 29, 2018
Hi guys,

I am having a little bit of trouble with my new 2400G/AB350 ITX build. I got it up and running after ordering the wrong cooler, but now I am running into graphics stability issues.

I am sporadically getting the "video_tdr_failure" BSOD in Windows 10 Pro. My system is on stock settings and the only thing that I have enabled is the XMP profile for my ram. I am getting a little frustrated :(.

I am not sure if this is a driver issue and I just have to wait it out until the drivers from AMD mature.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
MOBO: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
Memory: Corsair DDR4 3000 16 GB (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
Power: KMPKT Dynamo Mini 160W / Razer 165W AC/DC brick
Cooler: Noctua L9a-am4
Storage: WD Blue 3D NAND 500 GB SSD

I would appreciate any help or advice!

Thanks!

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Definitely check the driver's as I have the same board and processor, yet haven't gotten that issue with the latest drivers. My RAM is different though, so not sure if that is the factor.
Hi guys,

I am having a little bit of trouble with my new 2400G/AB350 ITX build. I got it up and running after ordering the wrong cooler, but now I am running into graphics stability issues.

I am sporadically getting the "video_tdr_failure" BSOD in Windows 10 Pro. My system is on stock settings and the only thing that I have enabled is the XMP profile for my ram. I am getting a little frustrated :(.

I am not sure if this is a driver issue and I just have to wait it out until the drivers from AMD mature.

Specs:
Power: KMPKT Dynamo Mini 160W / Razer 165W AC/DC brick
Cooler: Noctua L9a-am4
Storage: WD Blue 3D NAND 500 GB SSD

I would appreciate any help or advice!

Thanks!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Even though Raven Ridge has better support for memory, I wouldn't rule out that the SK Hynix kit is the cause. Try setting it at the DDR4-2666 spec if possible and see if it solves your stability issues.

ZeroPucks

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
Even though Raven Ridge has better support for memory, I wouldn't rule out that the SK Hynix kit is the cause. Try setting it at the DDR4-2666 spec if possible and see if it solves your stability issues.
I second this suggestion. I had that same RAM kit and I could never get the AB350 to boot on the XMP profile, or on 2933. I could hit 3066, but only on BIOS 3.40 and that obviously won't boot with Raven Ridge. BIOS 4.40 did not let me boot on 3066, highest I could get was 2666. Haven't tried newest BIOS 4.50. This was part of the reason I switched to Samsung B-die modules in the G.Skill Flare X; painless overclock to 3200 on its XMP profile.

In other news, I tried setting a custom CPU fan curve for the first time today. Used the Fan-tastic tuning feature that automatically picked some temperatures and fan speed percentages, and seems to be okay. It chose 40 degrees C for 40% which is about 1350 RPM on the Noctua L9a, and I forget if it was 50% or 60% for 60 degrees C. Seems to be okay, my CPU idle temps are a little higher now but the fan noise is much quieter, 37 C 1300 RPM vs. 33 C 1800 RPM. Load temperatures are still fine while gaming, hitting about 65-70 C in DOOM (2016) around 1600 RPM.

I believe the Silent preset in the UEFI settings had 60% speed for 40 C so pretty good difference there, might try it later if I see unacceptable load temperatures with this custom curve in the future.

Reactions: Phuncz

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Just so everyone avoids unnecessary grief, I can confirm that the Intel Wireless-AC 9260 Wi-Fi card is utterly incompatible with Ryzen. The 8265 and 8260 both work flawlessly in my AB350, though.

UPDATE: I guess another user and I complained enough on the Intel forums for their engineering team to take notice. Mere days after I posted, Intel just released a new driver literally yesterday (20.40.0, on March 20th), and it fixed the BSOD and disconnection issues. I verified this with both swapping out the cards as well as doing another clean install of Windows 10 with the 9260 installed. I'll run a two-hour YouTube video test and if that plays alright, I think this is good as gold.

Last edited:

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Alright I've updated the BIOS, still can't get the ram to run at anything other than 2133mhz, which is unfortunate because my ram is on the QVL, so at this point I'm willing to spend some money on a kit that I know for sure will run at 3200mhz. Any recommendations?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I have this kit

Team Dark Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-313-712

It ran all day at 3200 Xmp on the Taichi with a 1700. It runs at XMP 2933 on the B350 gaming itx/ac without issue with a1600 cpu. I can get 3200 but had some issues with some games crashing. Backed it off to 2933 and all well. This is at the listed cas 14 timings etc. Haven’t tried loosening the timings on this board to get 3200 100% stable yet.

And of course the GSkill Flair X kit seems to be the safest bet for most people.

Side note. I picked up another B350 itx /ac today from Microcenter and it had bios 4.40 out of the box. RyzenG would have boot without an update. Good to see AsRock is shipping updated boards.

Last edited:

ZeroPucks

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
Just so everyone avoids unnecessary grief, I can confirm that the Intel Wireless-AC 9260 Wi-Fi card is utterly incompatible with Ryzen. The 8265 and 8260 both work flawlessly in my AB350, though.

UPDATE: I guess another user and I complained enough on the Intel forums for their engineering team to take notice. Mere days after I posted, Intel just released a new driver literally yesterday (20.40.0, on March 20th), and it fixed the BSOD and disconnection issues. I verified this with both swapping out the cards as well as doing another clean install of Windows 10 with the 9260 installed. I'll run a two-hour YouTube video test and if that plays alright, I think this is good as gold.

Please report back on how everything goes, I tried the Intel 9260 on the AB350 as well and could not get it to work at all, had to buy an 8265 to get functional WiFi. If Intel released a driver to finally make the 9260 compatible with Ryzen systems, that would be great news.

I have this kit

Team Dark Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-313-712

It ran all day at 3200 Xmp on the Taichi with a 1700. It runs at XMP 2933 on the B350 gaming itx/ac without issue with a1600 cpu. I can get 3200 but had some issues with some games crashing. Backed it off to 2933 and all well. This is at the listed cas 14 timings etc. Haven’t tried loosening the timings on this board to get 3200 100% stable yet.

And of course the GSkill Flair X kit seems to be the safest bet for most people.

I think I posted my experiences with the Team Dark Pro DDR4 in the Sentry thread. I couldn't get it to boot on the AB350 at all on BIOS 3.40, and I spent half a day trying to get my system to POST because it wouldn't work even after using the CMOS jumper and switching back to my original RAM kit. After many hours I was able to finally get into the UEFI to update to BIOS 4.40 which worked with the Team Dark Pro, but after it didn't POST at 3200, I threw it back in the box to return it for G.Skill Flare X. The Flare X was a painless and stress-free overclock to 3200 at 14-14-14-34. It is expensive, but I was able to sell my old RAM kit to help pay for most of the upgrade.

Reactions: Phuncz and TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I absolutely agree that the FlairX kit is really the best play if one wants the best chance at 3200 with most Ryzen set ups.

I’m having decent luck with the Team Dark kit but the small savings vs the GSkill isn’t woth the hassle.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Please report back on how everything goes, I tried the Intel 9260 on the AB350 as well and could not get it to work at all, had to buy an 8265 to get functional WiFi. If Intel released a driver to finally make the 9260 compatible with Ryzen systems, that would be great news.

Sorry. I already did on Reddit and the Intel forums, and I meant to paste it here. Here are the results:

Verified with the following tests:

X Successfully installed the drivers without a BSOD

X Successfully connected to 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks without resetting the adapter or losing the connection

X Successfully copied a ~85-90GB UHD Blu-ray over the WLAN

X Successfully watched a 1440p ~ 2 Hr. YouTube video

X Successfully reconnected to WLAN automatically after multiple sleep and reboot cycles

X No errors in Windows Event Log

Prior to downloading the drivers today, it failed every last one of these tests. Marvelous!

I’ll add that though it is ironic that the drivers were just posted after my complaints on the Intel forums just a couple days ago, it probably has more to do with that fact that Ryzen 2 releases next month and new systems using Ryzen 2 along with the Intel 9260 were probably in grave need of this fix in time for release.

Last edited:

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
HI all,

I'm torn between this board and Gigabyte's ITX offering. The Gigabyte has the Display-port and Gen2 USB outs on the rear. With the hindsight of experience on Raven Ridge which would you choose and why?

In other questions, I can buy a HyperX Fury 2666MHz C15 8GB kit at a good price. Would this be a decent kit to try to take to 3000 or even 3200?

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
With the hindsight of experience on Raven Ridge which would you choose and why?
I will have the 2400G in the AB350 model motherboard soon for a family member with the 4.51 BIOS installed. That should answer this question conclusively as far as stability and throttling is concerned. Most of the problems I read in the ASRock forum and elsewhere seem to be coming from more inexperienced builders. I messaged others on Reddit, including one builder who has over a hundred AMD systems under his belt, and the latest 4.51A beta BIOS has fixed all of these issues for him. As of late, I have been using the 4.51A BIOS on my own Ryzen 7 1700 system and though the system was already completely stable, it feels like responsiveness and overall performance have improved. So, hopefully, the experience is the same here as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahmatt

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
I will have the 2400G in the AB350 model motherboard soon for a family member with the 4.51 BIOS installed. That should answer this question conclusively as far as stability and throttling is concerned. Most of the problems I read in the ASRock forum and elsewhere seem to be coming from more inexperienced builders. I messaged others on Reddit, including one builder who has over a hundred AMD systems under his belt, and the latest 4.51A beta BIOS has fixed all of these issues for him. As of late, I have been using the 4.51A BIOS on my own Ryzen 7 1700 system and though the system was already completely stable, it feels like responsiveness and overall performance have improved. So, hopefully, the experience is the same here as well.

I'll add that I have a 2400g on the AB350 with the 4.51 BIOS and it's been running smooth in the limited time I've been able to use it. No issues thus far, only some light Civ 6 gaming and web browsing