News ASRock Unveils the X299E-ITX/ac: Mini ITX + X299 + Quad-channel Memory

Mod edit:

Detailed overview of what we know about the X299E-ITX/ac thus far here: https://smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-x299e-itxac-little-monster-detailed

Original:

ASRock did it! Finally, there's an Intel HEDT platform motherboard with full quad-channel DDR4 memory. The new X299E-ITX/ac is for those who need up to 18 CPU cores and up to 64 GB of quad-channel DDR4 memory in their SFF machines for reasons. The board manages its limited PCB real-estate by going vertical. It features two riser cards, one with a few onboard controllers, and a pair of 32 Gb/s M.2 slots), and the other riser with SATA 6 Gb/s ports, a third M.2 slot, and the headers such as USB 3.1. The board draws power from 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS connectors, conditioning it for the LGA2066 CPU using a 7-phase VRM. The lone expansion slot is a PCI-Express 3.0 x16, memory is handled by four DDR4 SO-DIMM slots. Connectivity includes two Intel I219-V driven gigabit Ethernet interfaces, 802.11ac WLAN, and Bluetooth 4.1.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I don't believe we've seen any pricing but I'd hazard a guess that it's in the USD$250-300 range. The only possibility for it being less is that they may not include a cooler this time around with the standard socket, but those daughter boards add complexity and the HEDT platform is always high-margin.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I don't believe we've seen any pricing but I'd hazard a guess that it's in the USD$250-300 range. The only possibility for it being less is that they may not include a cooler this time around with the standard socket, but those daughter boards add complexity and the HEDT platform is always high-margin.
I was thinking around the $300 mark also :)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
My initial thought was at the US$300.00 mark as well...!
If Statistics taught me anything, it's that the normalized average of everyone's guess is most likely to be correct :) or, at least that was the case in a certain anecdote my teacher used.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The Maximus VIII Impact was about $225 so $299 seems pretty right for this board.

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
YES! YES! A MILLION TIMES, YES!

@ASRock System, please pass along the kudos to your engineers. I hope it's a blockbuster seller. The only thing it's missing is a second PCIe slot (for mini DTX), but that will be forgiven if this ships with bifurcation support.

Hot damn, but boutiques and DIYers are gonna have a lot of fun with this one.

DTX or Thunderbolt 3 - i really want a system with 2 GPU's but not worried if the second is external. Irritating thing is all these companies adding a DVI connector making just about all 1080ti's differ from the reference - *looking at you zotac 1080ti mini* otherwise i'd try to bifur two of those in my chassis

Reactions: WillBlackstone

arabesc

Efficiency Noob
May 28, 2016
As for the RAM itself, there are quad channel 64GB kits (two, one Corsair & one G.Skill) on NewEgg, running between $580 & $620 bucks; only thing I do not like about these kits is that they are running at a latency of CAS 18...
Crucial has CL 16 modules.

arabesc

Efficiency Noob
May 28, 2016
Does anyone know if this board supports ECC RAM?
What a shame! The new Intel CPUs don't have ECC memory support. What they are thinking about? What should be used in the workstation area?

And I'm wondering if Swiftech will make a LGA 2066 compatible mount for their unique Apogee Drive II pump.
If there will be such a mount then there will be a question of its compatibility with this m/b and its daughter boards.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
What a shame! The new Intel CPUs don't have ECC memory support. What they are thinking about? What should be used in the workstation area?
KBL-X don't have ECC support (as they are mostly the same as Kaby-Lake S dies), but SKY-X do. Almost certainly not RDIMM support, but ECC UDIMMs should still be fine.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Could just be a quirk of Ark, previous x99 CPUs are also listed with ECC:No, but certainly do support it.
Word on the street is Intel will only be supporting ECC memory on C422 motherboards for this set of SKUs.
Lame.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Word on the street is Intel will only be supporting ECC memory on C422 motherboards for this set of SKUs.
Lame.
That would suck. The LGA115x line already broke with consumer/Xeon cross-compatibility, it'd be a shame to see HEDT do the same.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm not sure, being able to hook up all the M.2 directly to the CPU is using a new Intel feature, so I presume the RAID support is related. But it's been a long day and I'm hazy on the details for that.