News ASRock Unveils the X299E-ITX/ac: Mini ITX + X299 + Quad-channel Memory

Mod edit:

Detailed overview of what we know about the X299E-ITX/ac thus far here: https://smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-x299e-itxac-little-monster-detailed

Original:

ASRock did it! Finally, there's an Intel HEDT platform motherboard with full quad-channel DDR4 memory. The new X299E-ITX/ac is for those who need up to 18 CPU cores and up to 64 GB of quad-channel DDR4 memory in their SFF machines for reasons. The board manages its limited PCB real-estate by going vertical. It features two riser cards, one with a few onboard controllers, and a pair of 32 Gb/s M.2 slots), and the other riser with SATA 6 Gb/s ports, a third M.2 slot, and the headers such as USB 3.1. The board draws power from 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS connectors, conditioning it for the LGA2066 CPU using a 7-phase VRM. The lone expansion slot is a PCI-Express 3.0 x16, memory is handled by four DDR4 SO-DIMM slots. Connectivity includes two Intel I219-V driven gigabit Ethernet interfaces, 802.11ac WLAN, and Bluetooth 4.1.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The daughter board on the right with the SATA and USB header looks like it also has VRM circuitry similar to the Impact boards, so it is probably soldered on. They just used the PCI-e x1 for a cheap data interface, most likely.

Dang, that's a shame. Though from the side it looks like the SATA & USB3 ports are on a separate PCB that just attaches to the top of the VRM heatsink for rigidity (with the VRMs themselves mounted to the motherboard), but that still means you would need to remove those awkwardly placed screws/pushpins to take the daughterboard out. You might be able to run it with the daughterboard inserted but not secured for testing though, if you're careful about not dislodging it..

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
YES! YES! A MILLION TIMES, YES!

@ASRock System, please pass along the kudos to your engineers. I hope it's a blockbuster seller. The only thing it's missing is a second PCIe slot (for mini DTX), but that will be forgiven if this ships with bifurcation support.

Hot damn, but boutiques and DIYers are gonna have a lot of fun with this one.

Reactions: Dyson Poindexter

Sympathizer

Caliper Novice
Jul 27, 2016
I would not hurry with the order. Their previous ITX platform for Intel's HEDT was quite problematic (Look at reviews on NewEgg for example.) But I am very grateful to Asrock (and Zotac) for their attention to the SFF, and hope that this time everything will be OK.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Dang, that's a shame. Though from the side it looks like the SATA & USB3 ports are on a separate PCB that just attaches to the top of the VRM heatsink for rigidity (with the VRMs themselves mounted to the motherboard), but that still means you would need to remove those awkwardly placed screws/pushpins to take the daughterboard out. You might be able to run it with the daughterboard inserted but not secured for testing though, if you're careful about not dislodging it..

You might be right. I was initially thinking the MOSFET's could have been under the heat sink on the PCB, but it looks like from the top view that it extends under behind the chokes.

But, yeah, the fastening to the heat sink will make ready removal and reattachment a pain.

Reactions: Biowarejak

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
The daughter board on the right with the SATA and USB header looks like it also has VRM circuitry similar to the Impact boards, so it is probably soldered on. They just used the PCI-e x1 for a cheap data interface, most likely.

the sata and USB3.0 front panel IO daughter card just use a ngff slot as its interface,and fastened on the heatsink of vrm,no any vrm components on it.
but the two daughter cards and sodimm rams had blocked the hot air at all orientation.so maybe the best cooling solution is water-cooling .i am thinking of an X299 and 1080ti mini based G-cube LOL.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
the sata and USB3.0 front panel IO daughter card just use a ngff slot as its interface

Ahh, M.2 (NGFF) it is, not PCI-e x1

PS, looks like there is also a USB 2.0 header sticking out sideways above the SATA port.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
So, I am reading conflicting reports / rumors / whatnot around the web here today...

This board has four SO-DIMM slots (yay!), but some info states that you need to be running the 10-core i9 variant to fully utilize all four slots in a quad-channel configuration? And there are limitations between 2400 & 2667 RAM usage as well...?

As for the RAM itself, there are quad channel 64GB kits (two, one Corsair & one G.Skill) on NewEgg, running between $580 & $620 bucks; only thing I do not like about these kits is that they are running at a latency of CAS 18...

I just want to see someone design a boutique SFF chassis around this MB & the watercooled Zotac 1080Ti, with individual AIOs for each unit; I could really see a pair of EKWB 140mm Predators keeping the CPU & GPU cool...

Or at least a decently small chassis that will allow a tower cooler on the CPU & plenty of airflow for the air-cooled Zotac 1080Ti Mini & its two fan cooler... Something with dual 120mm fans (front-mounted) as intake & dual 80mm fans (mounted over the rear MB I/O shield area) as exhaust... Something like the Spartan Jr. chassis...!

Yeah... ASRock X299 ITX MB / i9-7800X CPU / 64GB RAM / three 1TB 960 EVO SSDs (one as System drive, two as RAID 0 storage...?) / Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini GPU... Yeah...!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
So, I am reading conflicting reports / rumors / whatnot around the web here today...

This board has four SO-DIMM slots (yay!), but some info states that you need to be running the 10-core i9 variant to fully utilize all four slots in a quad-channel configuration? And there are limitations between 2400 & 2667 RAM usage as well...?

As for the RAM itself, there are quad channel 64GB kits (two, one Corsair & one G.Skill) on NewEgg, running between $580 & $620 bucks; only thing I do not like about these kits is that they are running at a latency of CAS 18...

I just want to see someone design a boutique SFF chassis around this MB & the watercooled Zotac 1080Ti, with individual AIOs for each unit; I could really see a pair of EKWB 140mm Predators keeping the CPU & GPU cool...

Or at least a decently small chassis that will allow a tower cooler on the CPU & plenty of airflow for the air-cooled Zotac 1080Ti Mini & its two fan cooler... Something with dual 120mm fans (front-mounted) as intake & dual 80mm fans (mounted over the rear MB I/O shield area) as exhaust... Something like the Spartan Jr. chassis...!

Yeah... ASRock X299 ITX MB / i9-7800X CPU / 64GB RAM / three 1TB 960 EVO SSDs (one as System drive, two as RAID 0 storage...?) / Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini GPU... Yeah...!

We'll try get you the answers tomorrow when we go to the ASRock launch event :)

guryhwa

Cable-Tie Ninja
G-Unique
Dec 23, 2016
Ahh, M.2 (NGFF) it is, not PCI-e x1

PS, looks like there is also a USB 2.0 header sticking out sideways above the SATA port.

yes they might be USB2.0 or front panel pin header like pwr on hdd led pwer led etc,lets see.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
We really need to see some improvement in the SODIMM department both in density and latency. Maybe we'll see some Optane modules too?

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015

It should only be the 4-core i7 parts that cannot use all four DIMM slots.

All of the SO-DIMM modules are at 1.2V. This is typical for laptop memory. The high performance desktop RAM you see out there with high speeds and/or low latency timings use higher voltages, usually 1.35V, but some are even more. The memory should be able to be overclocked, and you can safely bump up the voltage to around 1.5V (JADEC standard for DDR3) to improve stability.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Oh man... if this thing reviews well, then I'll buying one. I hope they didn't skimp on the audio though.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
We will try to catch up with ASRock today and get some details.

That would be awesome...!

In addition to the RAM question(s); ask about the M.2 slots... Are they ALL PCIe 3.0 x4 connections back to the CPU (that & the PCIe 3.0 x16 GPU connection would use up all available 28 PCIe lanes to the CPU...?)

And for those thinking about that SLI blurb on the marketing fluff, is this built-in bifurcation (splitting the x16 into two x8 'channels')...?

Again, much thanks for getting in there & asking the important questions...!!!

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
And this is why ASRock will keep getting my business. They just keep listening to what the customers want in these niche markets of SFF.

- no Narrow ILM -- check
- 4 DIMM slots -- check
- 3 M.2 slots -- check
- Dual Intel LAN -- check
- Metal reinforced PCIe slot -- check

The only thing I wish it had was 10GbE, but there's plenty crammed on that ITX to satisfy me. :D I love the 8-pin and 24-pin locations.. this should make cable management a breeze.