News ASRock Unveils the X299E-ITX/ac: Mini ITX + X299 + Quad-channel Memory

Mod edit:

Detailed overview of what we know about the X299E-ITX/ac thus far here: https://smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-x299e-itxac-little-monster-detailed

Original:

ASRock did it! Finally, there's an Intel HEDT platform motherboard with full quad-channel DDR4 memory. The new X299E-ITX/ac is for those who need up to 18 CPU cores and up to 64 GB of quad-channel DDR4 memory in their SFF machines for reasons. The board manages its limited PCB real-estate by going vertical. It features two riser cards, one with a few onboard controllers, and a pair of 32 Gb/s M.2 slots), and the other riser with SATA 6 Gb/s ports, a third M.2 slot, and the headers such as USB 3.1. The board draws power from 24-pin ATX and 8-pin EPS connectors, conditioning it for the LGA2066 CPU using a 7-phase VRM. The lone expansion slot is a PCI-Express 3.0 x16, memory is handled by four DDR4 SO-DIMM slots. Connectivity includes two Intel I219-V driven gigabit Ethernet interfaces, 802.11ac WLAN, and Bluetooth 4.1.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
A 64GB quad-channel kit of HyperX Impact 2400 is $680... I can't even find anything higher than 2666 MHz. This is crazy. Last year I bought 32GB of HyperX Fury for my X99E-ITX/ac, frankly because the difference between 2x8GB and 2x16GB was only around $60 and I figured I'm building an expensive PC anyway, I may as well go all out and avoid having to sell sticks in the future, even though I hardly ever use more than 10GB. Now, the price is more than double. It's like reverse Moore's law.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
That's supply and demand for you...combining high low-voltage memory demand from the vastly increasing amount of mobile devices and reduced (well, recovering) supply from natural disasters in SE Asia. Supply should get a shot in the arm in 2019 when China's multi-billion dollar investment into memory fabs starts to go online, but that's over a year away.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
It's an interesting thought that you can put like $6,700 worth of hardware on this board before you've even put it in a case.

ASRock X299E-ITX: $400
Intel Core i9 7980XE: $2000
HyperX Impact 64GB 2400 Kit: $680
Samsung 960 Pro: 3x2TB RAID: $3,615 (yeah, I know)

And for fun, let's build the rest of the system in an NCase M1:

NCase M1: $180
PSU: SilverStone SX800-LTI 800W Plus Titanum: $175
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52: $150
Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3: $800

Total: $8,000 :D

Add another $1,000 for premium custom water cooling if you're into that.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Ahh yeah. Got the board, 64GB of ram, and a delidded 7920X inbound.

Relatedly, does anyone know of a place in the US to buy a 20XX Asetek retention ring kit ( https://store.asetek.com/collection...k-liquid-cooler-intel-2011-retention-ring-kit) from Asetek or one of their OEMs? Have a 550LC but only 115X retention equipment. Asetek appears to no longer have an ebay store on which they used to sell such things.

h2plus

Chassis Packer
Oct 5, 2017
Ahh yeah. Got the board, 64GB of ram, and a delidded 7920X inbound.

Relatedly, does anyone know of a place in the US to buy a 20XX Asetek retention ring kit ( https://store.asetek.com/collection...k-liquid-cooler-intel-2011-retention-ring-kit) from Asetek or one of their OEMs? Have a 550LC but only 115X retention equipment. Asetek appears to no longer have an ebay store on which they used to sell such things.

That's similar to the build I'm planning. What are your thoughts on the power supply?

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Anything wrong with buying it from their store in the link you posted? I think they replaced their eBay store with their own store.

... Well, yesterday they didn't appear to ship to the US but they do now so nope, no issue. :) Ordered now.

That's similar to the build I'm planning. What are your thoughts on the power supply?

Going to recombine workstation and gaming machine into one in my FNW Tiki case. I currently have Silverstone's 600W SFX supply in that which I think should be adequate (above stuff + 1080 TI, + RAM & 2xM2), but if not they also have 700W & 800W SFX supplies. Apparently Skylake-X pulls _way_ more power and requires _way_ more cooling under overclocking but I'm fine with the 12 4.3ghz cores tbh. Only getting a delidded one for the improved thermal transfer in general. (Also the lowest binned ones from Silicon Lottery they're just selling at normal MSRP, so...)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network