SFF.Network ASRock DeskMini at Computex 2018

ASRock's DeskMini line, the proponent of the STX and Micro-STX form factors, is undergoing a tonne more development. More layouts, new chipsets, and overall, a determined promise from the manufacturer to continue the STX family of form factors, something we are wholeheartedly behind. Lets see what ASRock had on display.

Read more here!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
At least the 1080 version is live again. Also that is cheaper than the Z270 version was if I am not mistaken.

funklizard

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2017
z370 available at newegg - but its the 1080 version and a whopping 1530$
Ouch.

I'd love to snag one of these; but that price is really hard to justify considering that one still has to add a CPU and memory. Factoring in the price of the 1080 MXM card, they're valuing that case, motherboard, and power brick at $700-$900.

Um... no.

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
Is there an ITX case similar to this that I could use to make a stack of 3 servers?

This looks large enough to have decent cooling compared to some of the smaller NUC-sized things.

jackfrost

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 26, 2017

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
hmm, maybe I can cram 3 of those and some asrock socket 1150 itx boards on a shelf...
I've seen those ISK cases before, maybe I should actually buy one and test drive it, lol!

I worry that they come with a 150W PSU, but some of those CPUs that fit in socket 1150 have 150W+ TDPs, so I have to watch what I buy.

Bogon1

What's an ITX?
Oct 30, 2018
Well, what a disappointment this whole AM4 Deskmini project has been so far. Where the hell is the product? This was shown in summer 2018, and here we are in the end of Oct 2018, with still nothing that can be bought in retail. Do we have any updates on this, dear SFF forum members? I was looking forward to this so much. I've even e-mailed ASRock myself, but they diplomatically denied any knowledge of product release dates

This is taking fucking AGES

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
you know they haven't said "we're past development and most definitely doing this now" yet ._. it's like going to noctua and asking when are their transparent fans ever hitting the shelves

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty2k1 and jØrd

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
With all due respect to those feeling impatient with regards to the release this product, these sorts of things are massive undertakings and I'm sure it's not as simple as slapping an AM4 socket on the Intel version of the board and pushing it out the door. As far as denying knowledge of their product roadmap, if this product is in fact in the works and they do announce it only to scrap it later for reasons unknown that's pretty bad publicity for them (think Intel 10nm). In case you missed it however, there was a tweet a couple of weeks ago with a much more mature board design but it was taken down. Personally I'm thinking we'll see something significant at CES in January alongside the probably launch of the 12nm refresh of AMD's APUs.

Last edited:

whum

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2017
With all due respect to those feeling impatient with regards to the release this product, these sorts of things are massive undertakings and I'm sure it's not as simple as slapping an AM4 socket on the Intel version of the board and pushing it out the door. As far as denying knowledge of their product roadmap, if this product is in fact in the works and they do announce it only to scrap it later for reasons unknown that's pretty bad publicity for them (think Intel 10nm). In case you missed it however, there was a tweet a couple of weeks ago with a much more mature board design but it was taken down. Personally I'm thinking we'll see something significant at CES in January alongside the probably launch of the 12nm refresh of AMD's APUs.
I don't mind the wait if they handle it better than they did the GTX Deskmini. I loved that product and understand it is for a very niche crowd, but have been disappointed in the scant offerings as well as ability to buy replacement parts for it. So I do hope that with AM4 or even AMD GTX it is something that becomes as ubiquitous as the Deskmini 110 has. I am rooting for them.