John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Written by Craig Babiuk with assistance from John Morrison

When I first laid eyes on ASRock’s Micro STX platform nearly a year ago, I like many others was absolutely gobsmacked at the amount of hardware that they had managed to fit into such a tiny package. Measuring a mere 188mm by 147mm, the primary innovation of this form factor was taking advantage of the ultra-compact MXM graphics cards that had traditionally been reserved for use in behemoth gaming laptops. Clever repurposing of these GPUs allowed ASRock to fit an entire gaming system onto a single board that is smaller in overall area than the reigning king of small form factor - Mini-ITX.

Read more here.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Until you can buy aftermarket MXM graphics cards at newegg, and aftermarket cooling solutions for them or 3rd party MXM cards with better cooling solutions, then unfortunately this will never become mainstream. The lack of upgrade-ability is personally a non starter for me.

Reactions: br3nd0

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
3rd party cooling solution incoming! Also I'm pretty sure Aetina will sell MXM GeForce cards to the public and TUL/Powercolor will do so for Polaris cards (and hopefully its Vega based replacement).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Excellent review, good to finally see it in detail ! Did you also get to measure how much space there is between an M.2 SSD and the panel/frame so one could possibly install a heatsink if needed ?

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Really nice and well founded review as always.

This can become more common form factor, if there were more supported socket types(ex. AM4, LGA 1151v2) and the better overall availability of MXM graphics cards. But that is going be hopefully solved in the future.

Reactions: Phuncz

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
Nice write up. Maybe also add a picture of you holding it in your hands to convey how small this thing actually is.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
A decent review. A word to the writers:

Be careful how you address "thermal throttling." GPU Boost 3.0 works by pushing clocks if given enough power or thermal room.

In some ways, it may always be "thermal throttling." For example, my 1070, if I keep boosting the fan up, it doesn't get cooler, it just gets faster due to the temperature target remaining the same.

Reactions: aquelito

reiserFS

Chassis Packer
Dec 15, 2017
Such a shame that the GPU fan is so noisy, would've been a great little unit like my Deskmini, which runs silent at any load. Hopefully there will be some aftermarket cooling solutions.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Be careful how you address "thermal throttling." GPU Boost 3.0 works by pushing clocks if given enough power or thermal room.

I was able to get thermals up to TMax (85C) with the fan on a flat curve of 40% or less while all tests were done with the aggressive stock fan profile - throttling definitely wasn't thermals. The only reasonable explanation for throttling on this particular benchmark (and this occurred to me after writing the article) is that the CPU was pulling so much power off the brick (270W) that boost wasn't allowed to occur. Considering the CPU (7700K) could easily pull enough current to power throttle the GPU on the Firestrike test, this would make the most sense. I will retry the test for academic purposes with a 65W CPU and see if the boost engages on those tests. If it does then we have our answer.

Such a shame that the GPU fan is so noisy, would've been a great little unit like my Deskmini, which runs silent at any load. Hopefully there will be some aftermarket cooling solutions.

It's not really an issue if you take two minutes to go into BIOS and set your profile as I suggested in the article. Also I am developing an MXM cooler that will specifically work with this platform and should GREATLY improve both acoustics and performance.

Reactions: Phuncz

Cuzza

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 15, 2015
Nice review bro. Interesting device and love the performance for the size, but ye gods that price! Add import costs to NZ and.... well you get the drift. Merry Christmas dude.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The lack of boost in the Firestrike Ultra test seems to be an inexplicable anomaly, as at no time were temperatures anywhere near the point where thermal throttling should occur.
GPU-Z's 'Perfcap Reason' graph should show you what the card is reporting as the reason not to continue boosting.

Reactions: Kmpkt

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
GPU-Z's 'Perfcap Reason' graph should show you what the card is reporting as the reason not to continue boosting.

Going to do a much more in-depth follow up review at some point in the future on the Deskmini platform. This will be super useful to me. Thanks @EdZ

Reactions: EdZ

reiserFS

Chassis Packer
Dec 15, 2017
It's not really an issue if you take two minutes to go into BIOS and set your profile as I suggested in the article. Also I am developing an MXM cooler that will specifically work with this platform and should GREATLY improve both acoustics and performance.
That's amazing, looking forward to that cooler! What about idle noise? Does the fan actually turn off like on some full sized counterparts?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
My heatsink with simply be an 115x/AM4 heatsink with swappable baseplates. If you swap in the MXM baseplate and mounting kit, you should be able to just hook up and go. I plan to use an approximately 15mm high 92mm fan.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Until you can buy aftermarket MXM graphics cards at newegg, and aftermarket cooling solutions for them or 3rd party MXM cards with better cooling solutions, then unfortunately this will never become mainstream. The lack of upgrade-ability is personally a non starter for me.

Didn't I read some rumors somewhere that Nvidia is going to stop making MXM cards all together?

@confusis Great review as always man!

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd like to think that would depend on market demand. If MXM based systems take off then they'll likely make more. With BGA GPUs getting better all the time (ie. lower wattage 1080s), the necessity for MXM's beefy power systems and stuff is probably decreasingly relevant for a lot of OEMs like Sager, Clevo and Alienware.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The only part of the writing that John did was that "Written By John Morrison" part at the top...

Jokes, jokes, jokes

Reactions: jØrd

ASRock System

Trash Compacter
ASRock
Aug 29, 2016
www.asrock.com
Very Nice review.

We are glad to see there are lots of feedback from small form factor enthusiasts, no matter positive or not.
The MXM GPU price is totally controlled by NVIDIA, so we are keeping communicate with Intel and NVIDIA...
We hope MXM GPU market could be opened in the future.
Although it will spend around two or more years for seeing ramp up.

About default MXM fan curve

Due to we did complete system loading test in 35C chamber.
Therefore we set curve more aggressive than Kmpkt's setting.
But we are welcome everyone fine tunes it according to your situation and so on.